Do I really need bachelors degree to specialize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehdnwk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to do the 2+3 program at UOP and people are constantly telling me that you need a bachelors degree to specialize after dental school (like OMFS, ortho, pedo,endo,etc). On one of the OMFS requirement it says undergraduate degree, so does that imply I need a bachelors?
I see people even dropping from 2+3 program to 3+3 program to earn their bachelors degree before entering dent school. I've been asking around and people have been telling me yes it is needed, but from what I've read/heard you don't need it? I'm confused and I'm asking you guys do I really need a bachelors degree?!?!? :l I don't want to spend another year here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm trying to do the 2+3 program at UOP and people are constantly telling me that you need a bachelors degree to specialize later in dental school.
I see people even dropping from 2+3 program to 3+3 program to earn their bachelors degree before entering dent school. I've been asking around and people have been telling me yes it is needed, but from what I've read/heard you don't need it? I'm confused and I'm asking you guys do I really need a bachelors degree?!?!? :l I don't want to spend another year here.

Whether or not a bachelor's degree is needed for what you are talking about I am not sure, but I would recommend having one. I am not by any means implying that you will not be successful in dental school, but I have seen some very smart, talented people struggle in dental school, and a few of them ultimately dismissed (for various reasons). I would hate to be the one dismissed without a bachelor's degree. And yes, it has happened.

Hello, I'm trying to do the 2+3 program at UOP and people are constantly telling me that you need a bachelors degree to specialize later in dental school.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602095

Whether or not a bachelor's degree is needed for what you are talking about I am not sure, but I would recommend having one. I am not by any means implying that you will not be successful in dental school, but I have seen some very smart, talented people struggle in dental school, and a few of them ultimately dismissed (for various reasons). I would hate to be the one dismissed without a bachelor's degree. And yes, it has happened.

One can always get additional degrees after dismissal/withdrawing from ds or after ds.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^ ?
I'm going into dent school without a degree that's probably for sure, but I want to know if I can specialize after dental school without a degree is my question. People have been telling me that I need a "undergraduate degree," or bachelors degree

No you can't. In order to specialize you need a bachelor degree. Back in the day you didn't need one. Now you do.

No you can't. In order to specialize you need a bachelor degree. Back in the day you didn't need one. Now you do.

Where are you getting this information from? I just looked up about 10 orthodontics and 10 pediatric programs including ones at ASDOH, Stonybrook, UoP, UDM, Columbia, etc, and not a single one said anything about having a bachelor's degree. The only degree required was a DDS, DMD, or equivalent international degree.

Where are you getting this information from? I just looked up about 10 orthodontics and 10 pediatric programs including ones at ASDOH, Stonybrook, UoP, UDM, Columbia, etc, and not a single one said anything about having a bachelor's degree. The only degree required was a DDS, DMD, or equivalent international degree.

You are right; there isn't a single pedo program that mentions the BS requirement.

Hello, I'm trying to do the 2+3 program at UOP and people are constantly telling me that you need a bachelors degree to specialize after dental school (like OMFS, ortho, pedo,endo,etc). On one of the OMFS requirement it says undergraduate degree, so does that imply I need a bachelors?

When you throw big names like OMFS, ortho, pedo, etc around, you do realize you have to be at the top of your dental class in every way possible (academically and clinically speaking) to even be considered.... A task thats seriously 100 folds harder than earning a bachelors degree.

My point is, take care of the little things first before starting to dream big (GPA, DAT, shadowing, yes even bachelors degree ~ majority of dentists are bachelor holders)

Do you some references for this claim?

Nope I haven't researched it. When I talked to schools about trying to get into dental school w/o a BS, they said that that would limit me to what I could do. I got two bros that are ortho and thats what they have told me. I am not sure if that is for all specialties, but for ortho and endo I am pretty sure that it is mandatory.

But sorry I don't have any concrete evidence.

Nope I haven't researched it. When I talked to schools about trying to get into dental school w/o a BS, they said that that would limit me to what I could do. I got two bros that are ortho and thats what they have told me. I am not sure if that is for all specialties, but for ortho and endo I am pretty sure that it is mandatory.

But sorry I don't have any concrete evidence.

You would think, then, that it would be listed as a requirement on all the ortho/endo/perio/etc specialty program pages under "admission requirements"... But it's not on any of them I've seen so far. And I'm pretty sure the schools would list that front and center if having an undergrad degree was an important requirement.

Nope I haven't researched it. When I talked to schools about trying to get into dental school w/o a BS, they said that that would limit me to what I could do. I got two bros that are ortho and thats what they have told me. I am not sure if that is for all specialties, but for ortho and endo I am pretty sure that it is mandatory. But sorry I don't have any concrete evidence.

Your brothers would know, but it is interesting that in the document by the Commission on Dental Accreditation; Accreditation Standards for Advanced Specialty Education Programs in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics under STANDARD 5 - ADVANCED EDUCATION STUDENTS/RESIDENTS ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION there is no mention about the requirement you speak of.

How in the world would it be possible to get accepted to UoP without a bachelor's degree at least planned? UoP has to be one of the most competitive d schools out there. I busted my butt for 5 years to get the stats I got and they haven't given me an interview yet. But I'm happy with the schools I got interviews at. Anyways, you might want to check into the details of even getting admittance without a bachelor's, sounds unlikely to me.

How in the world would it be possible to get accepted to UoP without a bachelor's degree at least planned? UoP has to be one of the most competitive d schools out there. I busted my butt for 5 years to get the stats I got and they haven't given me an interview yet. But I'm happy with the schools I got interviews at. Anyways, you might want to check into the details of even getting admittance without a bachelor's, sounds unlikely to me.

It seems like it's some type of program? http://web.pacific.edu/Admission/Pre-Dental-admits/5-year-Pre-Dental-Admit.html

It's amazing how some people on SDN shoot their mouths off regarding things they know nothing about.

I personally have two friends who graduated this year from endo and perio who did not have undergraduate degrees, and they also received their masters with their certificates. I think this happens all the time partly because those who get into dental school after two years of college are overachievers who go on to specialize.

I wouldn't worry about endo, perio, ortho, or especially pedo.

My only concern to the OP would be OMFS, specifically the 6 year MD programs. Some med schools may have requirements for an undergraduate degree, and this requirement would be totally separate from the Dept of OMS and the dental school. But then again, the DMD/DDS may count as an undergraduate degree. You'd have to investigate each medical school individually.

My only concern to the OP would be OMFS, specifically the 6 year MD programs. Some med schools may have requirements for an undergraduate degree, and this requirement would be totally separate from the Dept of OMS and the dental school. But then again, the DMD/DDS may count as an undergraduate degree. You'd have to investigate each medical school individually.

The Accreditation Standards for Advanced Specialty Education Programs in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery are not much different. Just as there is one ds that requires a B.S degree, there may be some med schools that require a B.S. degree for enrollment; the MD/OMFS programs, however are different in nature and, as such, the requirements are quite different (D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree). If med schools are willing to take students out of high school, surely they would be willing to gamble on someone with a lowly dental degree. Incidentally, there are 45 such med schools in the nation.

Hey,

You should contact admissions at UOP dental. I am 100% positive that you can finish up your bachleors degree at UOP dental school (it's only for those people who are in the 2+3 and 3+3 program). I know about this because my sister graduated from the program at UOP.

As a general comment, I am not sure why you would dogmatically cater your education pathway to one particular school - a highly unique program that you have yet to gain acceptance into.

The UoP 2+3 program tract still requires prospective dental students to apply for the dental school portion of the program. Unless you were guaranteed admission, why would you not have plans to still pursue a Bachelors degree?

Less than 5% of all first-year dental students matriculate without at least a Bachelor's Degree. And I'm sure the vast majority of this demographic are isolated to these unique programs at schools like UoP. At the typical US Dental School, you are unlikely to find many, if any, students sans Bachelor's degree.

This should tell you that, regardless of the admission requirements at US Dental Schools (Yes, it is true that many schools do not require a Bachelor's degree), it is a tremendous disadvantage not to have at least a Bachelor's degree.

So are you only going to apply to one program - the UoP school and that's it?

Nearly 90% of first-year students have a Bachelors and ~95% have a Bachelors and some type of advanced degree.

As to your original question - you should direct questions to specific advanced education programs as your proposed education pathway would be unique and atypical.