Do I still have a chance at medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinehopeful8

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am currently finishing up my 4th (and last) year of life sciences at university. I have been very distracted throughout my whole undergrad with an emotionally abusive relationship, and my GPA has been terrible (around 2.3).

However, I got accepted into a 4-year collaborative Honours Nursing program as a second degree. Having left the unhealthy relationship was an eye opener for me, and I remembered my motivation and passion for medicine (that I have had since I was young).

I would just like to inquire, if I manage to achieve a 3.8-3.9 GPA in nursing school, and an excellent MCAT score.. would I still have a chance at medical school (either in Ontario, BC, or the states)? Would my horrible GPA from the first degree, and the fact that I am in a nursing program, hinder my chances? And how can I work at increasing my chance at medical school?

Thank you for reading, and I really appreciate any advice/help :)

Sincerely,
A determined pre-med student.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to ace a lot of upper level science courses. I don't know much about a 4 year nursing program so I can only speak from what my wife has taken in her traditional nursing program. There were only 2 classes that she took that medical schools would accept as upper level science classes. That is pathophysiology and complex health. A lot of nursing courses are designed specifically for nursing, so I am not sure that program would help much. But talk to some medical schools and see what they say. Also, 4 years is a long time, do 2 years of ULSC's and then take the MCAT would be my opinion.

Hi everyone, I am currently finishing up my 4th (and last) year of life sciences at university. I have been very distracted throughout my whole undergrad with an emotionally abusive relationship, and my GPA has been terrible (around 2.3).

However, I got accepted into a 4-year collaborative Honours Nursing program as a second degree. Having left the unhealthy relationship was an eye opener for me, and I remembered my motivation and passion for medicine (that I have had since I was young).

I would just like to inquire, if I manage to achieve a 3.8-3.9 GPA in nursing school, and an excellent MCAT score.. would I still have a chance at medical school (either in Ontario, BC, or the states)? Would my horrible GPA from the first degree, and the fact that I am in a nursing program, hinder my chances? And how can I work at increasing my chance at medical school?

Sincerely,

Nah, stick to nursing and become a nurse or if you want to really become a doctor get your pre-req's done in two years with straight A's and a 500+ MCAT and go to the Caribbean; specifically SGU. It ain't easy but that's the only way you'd realistically have a shot at becoming a doctor. "Managing" and doing are very different. Even SGU is a long shot.

Don't listen to the adcoms on this site; they are mentally ill. You don't know them and they don't know you. I'm just being real with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Under no circumstances think about going to a Carib diploma mill, especially when the advice is given by a Carib dropout.

In general, nursing programs are not considered rigorous enough for med schools. You might be better off going nursing -> NP.

Sincerely,

Under no circumstances think about going to a Carib diploma mill, especially when the advice is given by a Carib dropout.

In general, nursing programs are not considered rigorous enough for med schools. You might be better off going nursing -> NP.

Getting into med school (especially US med school for a Canadian) is going to be a stretch. I agree with Goro - get the RN because then you can support yourself. After you graduate- if you're still determined - take the remaining med prerequisites while working and then see if you're competitive or if you might need to do a SMP with med school linkage. Under no circumstances go to the Caribbean unless you have someone to pay your tuition as a gift or if you're independently wealthy yourself and only after 2-3 failed MD + DO cycles.

Or consider an NP role. That gives a lot of people the diagnosing and independence and higher level practice that replaces being a doctor. But for some it does not.

Reactions: 1 user
Or consider an NP role. That gives a lot of people the diagnosing and independence and higher level practice that replaces being a doctor. But for some it does not.

I loathe this type of advice. Why don't some of you get it into your heads that if medicine doesn't work out, you don't automatically choose a career on a lower rung. Maybe leave healthcare altogether and do something else.

I agree with Goro - get the RN because then you can support yourself

You mean you agree with me right?

I loathe this type of advice. Why don't some of you get it into your heads that if medicine doesn't work out, you don't automatically choose a career on a lower rung. Maybe leave healthcare altogether and do something else.

You mean you agree with me right?
no

I think there are some Canadian schools that consider your GPA from your 2nd degree. You should check out premed 101 though. Most people here are focused on school in America.

My advise and please do not take it the wrong way! You shared some personal stuff that is concerning such as an abusive relationship and ambivalence between nursing and MD school. I work in the filed and see many people who are drawn to helping professions to solve their own issues through patients. Medical professional needs to have healthy boundaries. My advice is for you to see a therapist for a while to help you sort out some personal dilemmas and learn about boundaries. I think when you know yourself better the choice will become clear which path to take RN or MD/DO. Med school is a commitment and you have to be sure.

Reactions: 1 user