Do I wait or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sellpa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't need to retake those classes when the improvement in gpa is marginal at best/not significant. Submit asap (the earlier the better). Do plan on taking those classes and studying for the MCAT concurrently? That is a very bad idea especially when you are getting ready to apply to schools...

The classes would be from 6/6 to 7/12. I've been studying for the Mcat for about 2 months now and would still have about two months until the classes start (hope to be ready by then).
So taking the classes isn't worth the extra month then?

Pour everything you got into having a competitive MCAT score. MCAT>>>>> than retakes. A 3.4 to a 3.47 gpa...that's not a good/smart investment of your time. The classes are not worth the extra month.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Hit that MCAT prep hard every day from now until you take it. It needs to be your number one priority!

The classes would be from 6/6 to 7/12. I've been studying for the Mcat for about 2 months now and would still have about two months until the classes start (hope to be ready by then).
So taking the classes isn't worth the extra month then?

How are you doing on MCAT pretests? The MCAT results will take a month to come in. A 3.4cgpa vs 3.47cgpa really isn't going to eliminate you from most schools, but a bad MCAT might. So depending on what the classes are you are retaking, science C's or D's in like into to psychology? Retaking Org I, Biochem, or other hard sciences with B's now would be a waste and hurt your MCAT score and maybe sgpa.

What is your sgpa? Hoping it is a 3.4, but if less than a 3.25 there could be a very different suggestion, as retakes become a likely necessity.

This issue with waiting on grades is that it can take a month plus for AACOMAS to verify your transcripts/application, so waiting until end of July to submit transcripts (can take a couple of weeks for grades to go in and then couple more for them to get them) might mean waiting until end of Sept or even Oct if a glitch occurs before your application can go out to schools. Ouch!

Better Alternative??? You could submit everything early to 1 throwaway school to get everything verified ASAP. Then when MCAT score comes in, assuming you have a 3.25+ sgpa now, you submit to all schools! That would be mid-Julyish and still considered early. Then when your summer grades come in, you could forward an updated transcript to ACOMAS when they open it up in Aug/Sept and that would get verified and sent again to schools but you'd still be considered an early applicant and nothing lost.

How are you doing on MCAT pretests? The MCAT results will take a month to come in. A 3.4cgpa vs 3.47cgpa really isn't going to eliminate you from most schools, but a bad MCAT might. So depending on what the classes are you are retaking, science C's or D's in like into to psychology? Retaking Org I, Biochem, or other hard sciences with B's now would be a waste and hurt your MCAT score and maybe sgpa.

What is your sgpa? Hoping it is a 3.4, but if less than a 3.25 there could be a very different suggestion, as retakes become a likely necessity.

This issue with waiting on grades is that it can take a month plus for AACOMAS to verify your transcripts/application, so waiting until end of July to submit transcripts (can take a couple of weeks for grades to go in and then couple more for them to get them) might mean waiting until end of Sept or even Oct if a glitch occurs before your application can go out to schools. Ouch!

Better Alternative??? You could submit everything early to 1 throwaway school to get everything verified ASAP. Then when MCAT score comes in, assuming you have a 3.25+ sgpa now, you submit to all schools! That would be mid-Julyish and still considered early. Then when your summer grades come in, you could forward an updated transcript to ACOMAS when they open it up in Aug/Sept and that would get verified and sent again to schools but you'd still be considered an early applicant and nothing lost.

My sgpa is a 3.39 it would be a 3.48 if i retook. So wouldn't I be able to submit my transcript on July 12th and i'd be verified ~mid August right?

Last edited:
My sgpa is a 3.39 it would be a 3.48 if i retook. So wouldn't I be able to submit my transcript on July 12th and i'd be verified ~mid August right?

I've seldom seen schools get transcripts ready right at the end of the term (my university takes 2 weeks) and THEN it has to be mailed to AACOMAS so that takes time. I knew people who expressed mailed transcripts and it still took 2 weeks for AACOMAS to acknowledge they were received. You must send all your transcripts and they don't verify at all until they are all in and complete, so it's not just adding a course to them. Then that is the busiest time of the season so it is a gamble if they get to yours quickly. I think they said 4-6 weeks last year after you submit for verification, but they would try for 4. If you enter something and they disagree with how you categorized it then it could take another week or two to get it fixed and re-verified. You just risk going from being a potentially great early candidate to a good on time or maybe bordering on late if there is a glitch candidate. It's up to you, but 3.39 is really a good sgpa for DO and the schools would get your updated gpa in sept.

I submitted mine early with everything in and done by mid July and had interviews in aug/sept and acceptance in sept. My MCAT was a 501 and gpa not too different than yours.

Best of Luck