DO Letter Requirement - A.T. Still University

Started by Fresc_0
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fresc_0

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey All,

Question about a specific DO letter requirements. I'm about to submit my AACOMAS application, however reviewing the program details for A.T. Still University it states the following:

"ATSU requires two letters of recommendation – one from a premed committee, academic advisor, or science professor with whom you have received a grade and credit for coursework and one from a physician (DO preferred, MD acceptable) whom you have shadowed for 20+ hours in a primary care setting"

I do have an MD letter that fulfills the second requirement, however it's included in my Committee Letter. Is the school going to expect two separate letters, or will they identify the appropriate letter within the packet being sent from my school?
 
My experience with ATSU is that they would like to see the physician letter separate. I’m not sure how your committee letter was drafted, but in mine my advisor just combined the sentiments of each contributor into a coherent letter, and cited the contributing writers at the end. So essentially there’s no way for you to tell who said what, unless it was something Specific to say a science faculty or a coach. I would go and ask if that MD could write a separate letter, or just submit his letter he wrote for the committee to AACOMAS
 
My experience with ATSU is that they would like to see the physician letter separate. I’m not sure how your committee letter was drafted, but in mine my advisor just combined the sentiments of each contributor into a coherent letter, and cited the contributing writers at the end. So essentially there’s no way for you to tell who said what, unless it was something Specific to say a science faculty or a coach. I would go and ask if that MD could write a separate letter, or just submit his letter he wrote for the committee to AACOMAS

I'm pretty sure my school does something similar, however they collate all the used rec letters at the end of the packet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My experience with ATSU is that they would like to see the physician letter separate. I’m not sure how your committee letter was drafted, but in mine my advisor just combined the sentiments of each contributor into a coherent letter, and cited the contributing writers at the end. So essentially there’s no way for you to tell who said what, unless it was something Specific to say a science faculty or a coach. I would go and ask if that MD could write a separate letter, or just submit his letter he wrote for the committee to AACOMAS

Since posting this question, one fo the admission directors emailed me back. They stated that it was alright for the letter to be collated at the end of a committee letter, and that in the secondary application there is a field to indicate that the required Rec letter is within the packet.