This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justawomanwithapassion

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So after receiving my MCAT score back today, I decided I want to add more DO schools? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

cGPA: 3.57
sGPA:3.33
MCAT: 500

I hope its okay that you all can trust me that my extracurriculars are probably the strongest part of my application but I am not going to list them at the moment.

Current list that I already have applied to:
Touro NY
Touro Cali
NYIT
PCOM-both branches
Western-both
LECOM-PA (I have two MD letters no DO letters so I could only apply to one of them)
NOVA

I was thinking of adding...
Rowan
Des Moine
UNECOM
Marian
CCOM
and maybe one or two more but I am really considering my chances of acceptance as well as location. I am a NY resident so if I am going to be far from family I want to at least have a favorable location not in the middle of nowhere.

If you think I should not apply to some of the additional or which more to add I would seriously appreciate it!!! I am pretty bummed about my MCAT and am trying to no focus more on DO than MD so if I can help having hope in this, you guys will be amazing!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Rowan is pretty heavily in-state biased. CCOM has a rep for wanting high MCAT, so you might reconsider there. I would add VCOM, ACOM, Burrell, RVUs, WVSOM.

Rowan is pretty heavily in-state biased. CCOM has a rep for wanting high MCAT, so you might reconsider there. I would add VCOM, ACOM, Burrell, RVUs, WVSOM.
Thanks! You think its worth it to add them this late? Since the cycle runs longer? I haven't added VCOM or WVCOM because they require a DO letter and I only have two MD letters of recommendation. I wish you the best of luck in life!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do it. fwiw, I'm just an internet stranger in the midst of his first application cycle. I think it is worth it to apply to the newer schools. good luck to you as well!

As I understand it, the Touros love high MCAT scores. You might not get a lot of traction there. I would add UNECOM, DMU, and Marion off the schools you are considering.

You applied mostly to higher stat schools where your GPAs are right at or below average and where your MCAT is below average. You need to add more low stat DO schools. Pick from:

ATSU
Alabama
Arizona
Burrell
Edward Via
Lincoln Memorial University
Marian University
University of the Incarnate Word
William Carey
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOMs

Include Idaho if you haven't gotten any nibbles when they open for applications.

From your add list:
Rowan - Heavy NJ IS
Des Moine - 3.6/507
UNECOM - 3.5/504 - Worth a shot
Marian - 3.5/503 - Also worth a shot
CCOM - ~3.6/507

Of course, I have no idea what your ECs are like or your grade trend. If both are strong it may be worth a shot to apply to Rowan/DMU/CCOM.

As I understand it, the Touros love high MCAT scores. You might not get a lot of traction there. I would add UNECOM, DMU, and Marion off the schools you are considering.
I heard that too but I live near the NY touro so I probably will just hope for the best with that because! Thanks for your input I will definitely add the others. How do you feel about the AT still schools, ACOM, KCUM and ARCOM?

You applied mostly to higher stat schools where your GPAs are right at or below average and where your MCAT is below average. You need to add more low stat DO schools. Pick from:

ATSU
Alabama
Arizona
Burrell
Edward Via
Lincoln Memorial University
Marian University
University of the Incarnate Word
William Carey
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOMs

Include Idaho if you haven't gotten any nibbles when they open for applications.

From your add list:
Rowan - Heavy NJ IS
Des Moine - 3.6/507
UNECOM - 3.5/504 - Worth a shot
Marian - 3.5/503 - Also worth a shot
CCOM - ~3.6/507

Of course, I have no idea what your ECs are like or your grade trend. If both are strong it may be worth a shot to apply to Rowan/DMU/CCOM.

Thank you so much for you input! What do you think would be the best to choose from from the additional schools you recommended?

All of them if you can afford it. If you're aiming to matriculate next year, you may as well apply to as many realistic schools as you can rather than lower your chances and possibly not get in this year.

Reactions: 1 user