DO Match List Thread 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who would win in a fight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By the numbers, radiology is competitive (MD Senior: Step 1 for DR and IR are 240 and 246, respectively [1]), in-demand [2; table 5], and well compensated [2; table 9]. For whatever reason, it is not seen as prestigious [3]. To me, the last point explains the apparant lack of bias.

[1] https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Seniors.pdf
[2] https://www.merritthawkins.com/uploadedFiles/MerrittHawkins_2019_Incentive_Review.pdf
[3] https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/radiol.11110596

ironically radiology is a field for people who don’t value prestige

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I go to VCOM-Carolinas. That optho match guy spoke to us (he was in for a req OMM lab thing), anyways he matched at a very prestigous hospital in MI (where i'm from). He did all his aways there though - also did took Step during 3rd year.

Lol. Cmon man how much did VCOM pay you for this?

The VCOM dude matched Beaumont-Taylor. It isn’t even fully accredited by ACGME, and is no where near “prestigious” like UMich, Beaumont-Royal Oak, Henry Ford, DMC...

I’m happy he matched to his desired specialty but please don’t come on here and just blatantly lie...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 6 users
By the numbers, radiology is competitive (MD Senior: Step 1 for DR and IR are 240 and 246, respectively [1]), in-demand [2; table 5], and well compensated [2; table 9]. For whatever reason, it is not seen as prestigious [3]. To me, the last point explains the apparant lack of bias.

[1] https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Seniors.pdf
[2] https://www.merritthawkins.com/uploadedFiles/MerrittHawkins_2019_Incentive_Review.pdf
[3] https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/radiol.11110596

Matched rads at an academic university program this year, applied broadly, had decent stats (245/250). Based on my interviews, I can tell you there is a D.O bias and a strong one at many of the academic places. Most of the best programs have very very few D.Os and even if they interview you, you will not be ranked highly because of intrinsic institutional bias.

The D.Os who matched IR were probably the cream of the crop in terms of board scores, their class ranks, and killed their sub-I’s

Reactions: 4 users
Lol. Cmon man how much did VCOM pay you for this?

The VCOM dude matched Beaumont-Taylor. It isn’t even fully accredited by ACGME, and is no where near “prestigious” like UMich, Beaumont-Royal Oak, Henry Ford, DMC...

I’m happy he matched to his desired specialty but please don’t come on here and just blatantly lie...

When we spoke he said Beaumont, I automatically assumed Royal Oak one, bc that is the one I live closer to.

Did you blatantly miss my second post, or are you just trying to add some drama to your day?

Cheers.

Reactions: 2 users
Matched rads at an academic university program this year, applied broadly, had decent stats (245/250). Based on my interviews, I can tell you there is a D.O bias and a strong one at many of the academic places. Most of the best programs have very very few D.Os and even if they interview you, you will not be ranked highly because of intrinsic institutional bias.

The D.Os who matched IR were probably the cream of the crop in terms of board scores, their class ranks, and killed their sub-I’s

Congratulations on the match. I wouldn’t say your stats are “decent” lol those are really good numbers. Yeah “best programs” and “very very few” DOs goes hand in hand. I would say it’s the most competitive non-surgical speciality so it’s going to live up to that in terms of competitiveness. It also very DO friendly 2018 charting outcomes gave a 84% match? (Someone correct me if I’m wrong). I am interested to see the match rate for this year.

Reactions: 1 users

Grats on that match bro!

I haven’t checked out the rosters at too man DR programs. At the ‘best’ ones, were the MDs there typically from highly ranked MD schools?

Congratulations on the match. I wouldn’t say your stats are “decent” lol those are really good numbers. Yeah “best programs” and “very very few” DOs goes hand in hand. I would say it’s the most competitive non-surgical speciality so it’s going to live up to that in terms of competitiveness. It also very DO friendly 2018 charting outcomes gave a 84% match? (Someone correct me if I’m wrong). I am interested to see the match rate for this year.

I say “decent” because some of the places I interviewed which had like 2-3 D.Os on their whole roster, I was surprised to discover those D.Os had the highest scores out of everyone in their whole program. I am talking around 260s. Whereas their MD counterparts had scores similar to mine. So basically add 10-15 points on top of the avg scores as a D.O if you want to considered seriously by these programs for a “ranked to match spot.” This is the tax you pay for that D.O after your name.

I don’t mean to fear-monger, if you meet the charting the outcomes mean you will match at a university program most likely, but will have to compromise on prestige & location.

Reactions: 5 users
Grats on that match bro!

I haven’t checked out the rosters at too man DR programs. At the ‘best’ ones, were the MDs there typically from highly ranked MD schools?

Not necessarily highly ranked schools, but remember even the worst MD school is looked more favorably then any D.O school almost universally across residency programs.

I say “decent” because some of the places I interviewed which had like 2-3 D.Os on their whole roster, I was surprised to discover those D.Os had the highest scores out of everyone in their whole program. I am talking around 260s. Whereas their MD counterparts had scores similar to mine. So basically add 10-15 points on top of the avg scores as a D.O if you want to considered seriously by these programs for a “ranked to match spot.” This is the tax you pay for that D.O after your name.

I don’t mean to fear-monger, if you meet the charting the outcomes mean you will match at a university program most likely, but will have to compromise on prestige & location.

I agree. I know rads is above average in terms of competitiveness and you need to bring an above average application(which you did) and you will match well (which you did). Plus I don’t care much about Prestige. Chasing prestige will only lead do dissatisfaction

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just trying to joke. Lol clearly it didn’t go so well. Good thing I never pursued my true dreams of becoming a comedian.

Kardio’s a wet blanket. I personally don’t believe dermatology exists and I suspect it’s an urban legend meant to pacify gunners, kind of like medicine’s version of Valhalla

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Dermatology is a medical speciality?
You'd be surprised at how many non-medical folk don't realize this either. My friends and fam back home basically though a dermatologist was the same as a cosmetologist lol.

• Haha
You'd be surprised at how many non-medical folk don't realize this either. My friends and fam back home basically though a dermatologist was the same as a cosmetologist lol.

Are they not?
giphy.gif

Kardio’s a wet blanket. I personally don’t believe dermatology exists and I suspect it’s an urban legend meant to pacify gunners, kind of like medicine’s version of Valhalla

it sounds like something someone writes on their resume after working at a Bath and Body Works for three months

1585690213568.png

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
derm isn't hard to get into if you're at least a 9/10

People might think you're joking, but if you look at those that matched derm...

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

bet the interview is like which skin products have you tried for that porcelain skin tone...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

"If you saw my wife you'd immediately know she's a dermatologist. She's tall, blonde, gorgeous, drives a Porsche, and she's obsessed with shoes."
"Hey man, you said it. I didn't."
"No don't get me wrong here, I'm not being defensive. I'm bragging."

Ortho attending and his PA bro chatting while I struggled through hand ties last year.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
anybody have a more detailed match list for Marian?
They haven't sent out a detailed list to the student body yet. However, an accepted student in the school specific forum said one was made available to them. They have a video on the MUCOM facebook page that shows where some matched but it's not even half the class that participated.

Here are some matches from PNWU

Ortho at North Dakota SOM, Community Memorial Health Ventura
Derm at Campbell Univ
Psychiatry at Vanderbilt, UNLV, Iowa, South Carolina
PM&R at Mayo Rochester
Gen Surg at Kansas SOM Wichita
Urology at Detroit Medical Center
Quite a few university EM matches as well

*image of mr incredible pounding the table*
OPHTHO is OPHTHO!

The worst “ophtho” program requires 240+ and multiple publications and strong research.
Sure beaumont Taylor may be the on the “lower tier” according to prestige lists but who really cares man.

Reactions: 9 users

Derm at Campbell Univ
PM&R at Mayo Rochester

I rotated twice with the ND ortho match.

Super good dude, wrestled at ND and is from there. Super glad it worked out for him

The worst “ophtho” program requires 240+ and multiple publications and strong research.
Sure beaumont Taylor may be the on the “lower tier” according to prestige lists but who really cares man.
Strong research yes, 240 no. I know a DO who matched ophtho this year at a former AOA program with much lower than a 240. Research game was strong tho.

Reactions: 4 users
Strong research yes, 240 no. I know a DO who matched ophtho this year at a former AOA program with much lower than a 240. Research game was strong tho.
Sure, usually when that happens there is a strength in another area that “overcomes” it

Exactly and I know this person didn’t have strong research during medical school at all or a 240 plus. It’s also matters who you know and how you audition. Plus super low tier programs care more about that and don’t get 240 plus candidates applying to them.

Sure, usually when that happens there is a strength in another area that “overcomes” it

That literally could be said for any specialty. I interviewed on the neuro trail with applicants having research. PhDs and 250 plus and I was like damn. So it’s not just ophtho. It’s a cool match but we were solely saying it’s low tier. That’s all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derm at Campbell Univ
PM&R at Mayo Rochester
Were there any UW matches from PNWU this year?

DMU is awfully late this year, the first few pages of last year's thread were basically dedicated to DMU's 2019 match.

They just sent out some of the initial data to us today but not everyone opted in to share but here are some initial matches by specialty as a glance:

Anesthesiology x 19
EM x 20
FM x 57
IM x 44
Neurology x 4
OB x 10
Ophthalmology x 1
Ortho x 4
Path x 2
Peds x 12
PMR x 4
Psych x 9
RADs x 2
Gen surg x 4
Surgery Preliminary x 4

Some highlights of program locations: John Hopkins, Mayo, Loma Linda, Case, Rush, Baylor, Stanford, Cleveland Clinic, Loyola

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
RVUCOM-CO Match

Anesthesiology x6
Anesthesiology Transitional year x1
Dermatology x1
ENT x1
EM x11
FM x34
IM x29
IM PM&R x1
IM/Peds x2
Neurology x3
OBGYN x7
Optho x1
Ortho x2
Pathology-Anatomical and Clinical x4
Peds x12
PM&R x2
Psychiatry x9
Surg Prelim x2
General Surgery x16
Transitional year (PM&R) x2
TRI x4
Urology x1

16 general surgery. Wow. nobody in my schools wants to touch GS with a 10 foot pole (Besides @anatomygrey lol) and then RVU has 10% of its class doing gen surg. Crazy to see the difference between schools and interest.