DO Match List Thread 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who would win in a fight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is my hope after seeing these match lists that, just like how DOs navigated the merger, the Class of 2023 onward can produce similar quality matches post-Step 1 becoming P/F.

By then if COMLEX Level 1 doesn’t become P/F, that will be used instead to screen DOs. The programs that have taken DOs in the past have an idea of what COMLEX score you need.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
By then if COMLEX Level 1 doesn’t become P/F, that will be used instead to screen DOs. The programs that have taken DOs in the past have an idea of what COMLEX score you need.

The NBOME is already considering making it P/F. They also pretty predictably take whatever lead is put out by the NBME, so I would be surprised if it wasn’t P/F in the next few years and students should anticipate that.

I disagree programs will switch to judging DOs by COMLEX. It will be Step 2. DOs have been matching these programs largely because of Step 1, these places won’t all of a sudden start using COMLEX when there is still a scored Step exam available...

Reactions: 8 users
The NBOME is already considering making it P/F. They also pretty predictably take whatever lead is put out by the NBME, so I would be surprised if it wasn’t P/F in the next few years and students should anticipate that.

I disagree programs will switch to judging DOs by COMLEX. It will be Step 2. DOs have been matching these programs largely because of Step 1, these places won’t all of a sudden start using COMLEX when there is still a scored Step exam available...

The only way to know this is to analyze students who scored low on Level 1 and high on Step 1 vs students who only took Level 1 and see where they have interviewed/matched.

If Level 1 is indeed pass fail then yes, it will be judged based on Level 2/Step 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only way to know this is to analyze students who scored low on Level 1 and high on Step 1 vs students who only took Level 1 and see where they have interviewed/matched.

Lol ok. There are many, many programs I’ll be applying to that explicitly say USMLE only. They have DOs, often multiple. I guarantee you they won’t suddenly start caring about COMLEX once Step 1 goes P/F. It will be Step 2.

PDs won’t start using COMLEX as the DO stratifier because it doesn’t tell them squat about how that DO compares to the rest of their applicant pool, only other DOs. The only programs that will do that are the ones that have already been doing that.

Reactions: 9 users
Lol ok. There are many, many programs I’ll be applying to that explicitly say USMLE only. They have DOs, often multiple. I guarantee you they won’t suddenly start caring about COMLEX once Step 1 goes P/F. It will be Step 2.

PDs won’t start using COMLEX as the DO stratifier because it doesn’t tell them squat about how that DO compares to the rest of their applicant pool, only other DOs. The only programs that will do that are the ones that have already been doing that.

You're wrong. PD's will totally start caring about an exam that they don't know how to interpret yet. After all, these exams make us better clinicians.

Reactions: 1 users
SDN is such a place of absolute, concrete thinking. It’s because we’re a bunch of know-it-all nerds.

This post-merger 2020 match is a demonstration that making hard and fast predictions about how things will go because of X, Y or Z development is just stoking anxiety.

Reactions: 11 users

If you've been actually through the ERAS cycle, you would see that programs writing that they only take USMLE is many times, false. I've gotten interviews at places that say USMLE only with just COMLEX. I also personally know students who only took COMLEX and get accepted into their program of choice and being the only DO in the program while everyone else was from US MD. Granted, that candidate had COMLEX scores of >600 with no Step.

I think we've been saying the same thing too. If you actually read my post, I did say for the programs that have been taking DO's in the past would have some idea how to interpret COMLEX and only if COMLEX was still scored then.

SDN is such a place of absolute, concrete thinking. It’s because we’re a bunch of know-it-all nerds.

This post-merger 2020 match is a demonstration that making hard and fast predictions about how things will go because of X, Y or Z development is just stoking anxiety.

Couldn't agree more.

Last edited:
Because I literally had nothing to do today...

EDIT: Introduced the “Newport Factor!”

PURPOSE: To determine how difficult it is for a DO to match into a competitive urban area in psychiatry, as compared to other specialties.

HYPOTHESIS: the difficulty of matching psychiatry in competitive areas is comparable to that of specialties more traditionally thought to be competitive. Results are reported as # of DO applicants who matched that specialty in a competitive area, divided by total reported osteopathic matches in that specialty, (x100). This number is then compared to the % of residency programs of that specialty in major metro areas.

METHODS: All match lists in this first post of this thread were reviewed. “In a competitive city” was defined as: within 35 miles (as the crow flies) of the city center of a city listed in the top 10 metropolitan areas of the USA (approximating a 1 hr drive). This was measured with google maps scale tool. The cities are, as per wiki: NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston, DC, Miami, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Boston.

Specialties considered here were Psychiatry, Anesthesia, OB/GYN, Diagnostic Radiology, Orthopedic Surgery, and General Surgery. All residency programs found on match lists which could not be identified given poor naming (e.g. “university hospital,” “Mt Sinai” etc) were counted toward total matches but not toward “competitive metro area matches.” This was also done for military matches, including those that would have fallen within these metro areas. For total number of programs and their locations, AAMC lists of participating residency programs were reviewed.

Specialties are graded with a “Newport factor,” which is equivalent to (# of residency programs in a major metro area/# total number of programs) / ( # of DOs matching in a competitive urban area / total # of DOs in that specialty). It will make sense later.

A high Newport factor suggests significant regional bias. NF= 1 suggests no bias. NF
LIMITATIONS: Only match lists listed on the first page were used, many of which were highly incomplete and unverified. 35 miles is a relatively arbitrary benchmark and distances were measured using google maps. This does not take into account how many program PGY1 spots are actually located within competitive cities- it was assumed they would average out. No applicant data was used. It was assumed that no net geographic preference was present (I.e the ortho cohort as a whole didn’t tend to prefer big cities, the psych cohort as a whole did not prefer rural areas, etc). No statistical analysis was completed.

RESULTS

Psychiatry:
-13 matches in top 10 metro areas.
-125 total matches reported
-10.4% of psych matches fell within in a top-10 metro area.
-236 Psychiatry programs in USA
-72 programs are located in the top 10 cities
-30.5% of psychiatry programs are in top 10 US cities.

Anesthesia
-32 matches in a top 10 metro area
-136 total gas matches reported
-23.5% of gas matches were in a top 10 metro area.
-140 gas programs in USA
-48 gas programs in top 10 metro areas
-34.3% of gas programs are in top 10 areas

Diagnostic Radiology
-16 matches in a top 10 metro area
-49 DR matches reported
-32.6% of DR matches were in a top 10 metro area.
-180 total DR programs in USA
-59 DR programs in top 10 metro areas
-32.8% of DR programs are in top 10 metro areas

General Surgery
-20 matches in a top 10 metro area
-87 GS matches reported
-22.9% of GS matches were in a top 10 metro area.
-282 total GS programs
-87 GS programs in top 10 metro areas
-30.8% of GS programs are in top 10 metro areas

OB/GYN
-18 matches in a top 10 metro area
-99 OB/GYN matches reported
-18.2% of OB/GYN matches were in a top 10 metro area.
-263 OB/GYN programs in USA
-82 programs are located in a top 10 metro area
-31.1% of OB/GYN programs are in a top 10 metro area

Orthopedic Surgery
-14 matches in a top 10 metro area
-56 ortho matches reported
-25% of Ortho matches were in a top 10 metro area
-176 ortho programs in USA
-46 ortho programs in a top 10 metro area
-26.1% of ortho programs in a top 10 metro area

EM
-56 matches in a top 10 metro area
-221 total EM matches reported
-25.3% of EM matches were in a top 10 metro area
-250 total EM programs
-65 EM programs in top 10 areas
-26% of total EM programs in top 10 areas.

DISCUSSION

Despite the seeming ease at which DOs are matching psychiatry, these findings suggest that, moreso than any other specialty considered here, DOs are widely shut out from competitive urban areas for residency. Despite 30.5% of psychiatry residency programs being located in a major metro area, only 10.4% of DOs who matched psychiatry matched in one of these areas, a ratio of approximately 3:1, or a Newport Factor of 2.93.

OB/GYN showed the next-largest “urban bias,” with 18.2% osteopathic OB/GYN matches occurring in a major metro area, despite 31.1% of OB/GYN programs being located in such an area. This gives OB/GYN a Newport Factor of 1.71.

Anesthesia (Newport Factor 1.45) and GS (1.34) were intermediate.

EM (NF= 1.03), DR (1.00), and Ortho (1.04) were practically 1:1, suggesting a less regional nature to any bias.

FINDINGS SHOWN IN PRETTY IMAGE!View attachment 302170

Was the residency location tendency taken into account. Like for neuro most programs are located at universities that are usually in cities 200,000 plus. I would imagine other specialties like ortho/ GS/Rads etc would also be at academic centers. Therefore a lot of residents are forced to go to larger cities without a preference where as they are plenty of psych community programs versus the others I mentioned. Then there is the argument that most DOs want to be more rural and psych being a “primary care” driven field in my opinion would stay out of big cities and residents would be more comfortable in smaller places like they are from. It’s a great summation of the data I just don’t think it’s accurate for DOs.

Was the residency location tendency taken into account. Like for neuro most programs are located at universities that are usually in cities 200,000 plus. I would imagine other specialties like ortho/ GS/Rads etc would also be at academic centers. Therefore a lot of residents are forced to go to larger cities without a preference where as they are plenty of psych community programs versus the others I mentioned. Then there is the argument that most DOs want to be more rural and psych being a “primary care” driven field in my opinion would stay out of big cities and residents would be more comfortable in smaller places like they are from. It’s a great summation of the data I just don’t think it’s accurate for DOs.

Yes, it was. Read the “discussion” portion, where I list the % of residency programs in each specialty that are located in major metro areas.

That’s what the “Newport Factor” is - it tells you how well DOs are represented in major urban areas, when taking into account how many residency programs are actually located in these areas.

In psych, you’ll see that ~30% of psych residency program are located in a major metro area... but only 10% of DOs who matched psych went to one of these programs. This ratio of 3:1 is the Newport Factor.

No other specialty considered had such a large disparity. It doesn’t make sense to assume that DOs have a preference for rural areas/smaller cities, because the data shows why doesn’t that preference apply to other specialties. It seems specious to suggest that psych applicants have such a stronger preference for rural areas/small cities than do those applying to other specialties.

Yes, it was. Read the “discussion” portion, where I list the % of residency programs in each specialty that are located in major metro areas.

That’s what the “Newport Factor” is - it tells you how well DOs are represented in major urban areas, when taking into account how many residency programs are actually located in these areas.

In psych, you’ll see that ~30% of psych residency program are located in a major metro area... but only 10% of DOs who matched psych went to one of these programs. This ratio of 3:1 is the Newport Factor.

No other specialty considered had such a large disparity. It doesn’t make sense to assume that DOs have a preference for rural areas/smaller cities, because the data shows why doesn’t that preference apply to other specialties. It seems specious to suggest that psych applicants have such a stronger preference for rural areas/small cities than do those applying to other specialties.

One flaw in your calculations is that you are using # of programs and not # of spots. Most bigger academic programs in surgical subspecialties will be noticeably bigger, so the the percentages you are estimating for other specialties are likely off. Psych usually doesn't have as much range from academic/urban to community/rural in terms of spots. If you have the time, I'd be curious to know if your Newport Factor changes when taking spots as opposed to programs into account.

You can get this info from the NRMP report, but you'll be limited to 2019 data, not 2020 for a couple more months.

One flaw in your calculations is that you are using # of programs and not # of spots. Most bigger academic programs in surgical subspecialties will be a bit bigger, so the the percentages you are estimating for other specialties are likely off. Psych usually doesn't have as much range from academic/urban to community/rural in terms of spots. If you have the time, it'd be curious to know if your Newport Factor changes when taking spots as opposed to programs into account.

You can get this info from the NRMP report, but you'll be limited to 2019 data, not 2020 for a couple more months.

this is entirely true, and one of the major limitations in my study that I mention. It is totally possible that this is a confounding factor in fields like the surgical specialties.

At the moment I can’t quite figure out how to get around this issue. There’s no good way to get this information. Going to every residency website would be time-prohibitive, and most don’t actually have this information.

this is entirely true, and one of the major limitations in my study that I mention. It is totally possible that this is a confounding factor in fields like the surgical specialties.

At the moment I can’t quite figure out how to get around this issue. There’s no good way to get this information. Going to every residency website would be time-prohibitive, and most don’t actually have this information.

The first report shows the match outcomes (number of spots matched out of total offered) for every program sorted by state and the second report shows the matches per specialty sorted by state and the type of applicant (US senior, grad, DO, IMG, etc.) for 2019.

Its basically impossible to do it for 2020 yet, because many programs don't update their websites with the interns until later and the NRMP usually don't release updated reports until late April/May.

You're wrong. PD's will totally start caring about an exam that they don't know how to interpret yet. After all, these exams make us better clinicians.
I know you are being sarcastic but PD's feigning ignorance or any ability to interpret an exam is reprehensible and dishonest.

I may be off mark with my interpretation of what you said but generally speaking, isn't it safe to assume programs in major metro areas are larger and therefore more have more spots. So that 30% of programs may have just as many spots as the rest of the remaining 70% given there are less training spots.

May be off topic but this is just one example of a program that is large (for a psychiatry program) and is like >95% MD. It is statistically unlikely DO's aren't being actively selected against.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you are being sarcastic but PD's feigning ignorance or any ability to interpret an exam is reprehensible and dishonest.

I may be off mark with my interpretation of what you said but generally speaking, isn't it safe to assume programs in major metro areas are larger and therefore more have more spots. So that 30% of programs may have just as many spots as the rest of the remaining 70% given there are less training spots.

May be off topic but this is just one example of a program that is large (for a psychiatry program) and is like >95% MD. It is statistically unlikely DO's aren't being actively selected against.

this is an example of a large program not in a major metro area.

keep in mind I only use top 10 metro areas. There are a ton of huge programs like this one in smaller metro areas.

also, this program is an example of another thing I’ve noticed: note that there’s one DO in the whole program, a PGY4. This seems to be the case at a lot of desirable university psych programs - they took one or two DOs before, but in the last 2-3 years it’s all USMD. I’ve seen it a lot: 2-3 DOs in PGY4, then 1 DO in PGY3... then no more. I believe this to be a result of increased competition.

Reactions: 2 users
The first report shows the match outcomes (number of spots matched out of total offered) for every program sorted by state and the second report shows the matches per specialty sorted by state and the type of applicant (US senior, grad, DO, IMG, etc.) for 2019.

Its basically impossible to do it for 2020 yet, because many programs don't update their websites with the interns until later and the NRMP usually don't release updated reports until late April/May.
Oooh this is good stuff anyway

Hi guys, anyone know when ATSU-SOMA full list will be published?
Thanks

this is an example of a large program not in a major metro area.

keep in mind I only use top 10 metro areas. There are a ton of huge programs like this one in smaller metro areas.

also, this program is an example of another thing I’ve noticed: note that there’s one DO in the whole program, a PGY4. This seems to be the case at a lot of desirable university psych programs - they took one or two DOs before, but in the last 2-3 years it’s all USMD. I’ve seen it a lot: 2-3 DOs in PGY4, then 1 DO in PGY3... then no more. I believe this to be a result of increased competition.
Its within 30 minutes to an hour of several of the biggest cities in NC. Its also the strongest program in NC I think (competes with duke), its not harvard, but its a strong program. Complicated cases always gets referred to UNC or Duke.

In a field like psychiatry, where stats don't matter as much, what do you mean by increased competition? Or are you referring to more applicants applying? Surely there are qualified DO's applying.

Its within 30 minutes to an hour of several of the biggest cities in NC. Its also the strongest program in NC I think (competes with duke), its not harvard, but its a strong program. Complicated cases always gets referred to UNC or Duke.

In a field like psychiatry, where stats don't matter as much, what do you mean by increased competition? Or are you referring to more applicants applying? Surely there are qualified DO's applying.

UNC is close to a large metro area, but not a top 10 in the nation

increased competition means more USMDs, many with good scores, are applying psych. Desirable programs will prefer the USMDs.

anecdotally, all the people I know who matched a competitive urban area or desirable university program over the last 4 years had some combination of these:

1) good board scores (often 240+ but those are just the ones who told me their scores).

2) doing audition rotations at the programs you want. This is underrated - you don’t need auditions to match psych. But if you want a particular program/you’re geographically limited, you gotta do it. And obviously kill the rotation.

3) Having a CV that truly demonstrates that you’re serious about psych - you’d better have some combination of research, advocacy, and volunteering. You really don’t want to come off the guy who wants to do psych because you didn’t like anything else in med school - and PDs can tell.

4) networking like crazy. Posters/conferences don’t count unless you’re actually making friends with the right people.

5) being really, really likeable.

...So basically, the same thing as every other competitive specialty

Reactions: 1 user
Post what you've got!

Edit: Here is a google spreadsheet with all the match information through page 11 of this thread

No clue how to remove the auto formatting up there. Remove the space to access in google:
https://docs. google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W371bFAmbwhlXPyjONSrf4i0iAA46Q1yjBglvY2ZTGY/edit#gid=0

Attachments

• anonymous nova DO 2020 partial match list.xlsx
    11.2 KB · Views: 228
91% of all DOs matched this year, is that an increase compared to last year?

Probably about the same as last year when you throw in AOA to last years match. It's definitely an increase from 2018 though.

Probably about the same as last year when you throw in AOA to last years match. It's definitely an increase from 2018 though.
Last year it was 88% with AOA combined, so that was a 3% increase despite the increase in graduates.

Doesn't factor in the quality of the match however. Lots of new residency programs opening.

Doesn't factor in the quality of the match however. Lots of new residency programs opening.
I wouldn't say "lots" for the amount of new residency programs opening. I think from what I've seen the growth rate of residency programs overall is pretty insignificant and usually is about 1% or less a year. The new programs you may be seeing are probably old AOA programs that transitioned over to ACGME. Also, there were plenty of great programs from the DO match lists I have seen.

I wouldn't say "lots" for the amount of new residency programs opening. I think from what I've seen the growth rate of residency programs overall is pretty insignificant and usually is about 1% or less a year. The new programs you may be seeing are probably old AOA programs that transitioned over to ACGME. Also, there were plenty of great programs from the DO match lists I have seen.
An additional 2,071 positions since 2019. A 5.9% increase.
Up 4,089 total since 2018. A 12.3% increase between 2018 to 2020.

Seeing only the good matches here , year after year, causes a bias in perception.

Seeing only the good matches here , year after year, causes a bias in perception.

There are more complete lists this year than there ever have been.....

Bro majority of those added since 2018 are old AOA residency programs. They are not all new programs.

Reactions: 5 users
The merger was a 5 year process, by 2017 many programs had also already transitioned. You'd have to go back all the way to 2014.
2014: 4,997 DO graduates
2020: 6,215 DO graduates matched

2014: 26,678 PGY1 positions matched
2020: 34,266 PGY1 positions matched

2014: 4,997 DO graduates
2020: 6,215 DO graduates matched

2014: 26,678 PGY1 positions matched
2020: 34,266 PGY1 positions matched

Right. And now you have to subtract the former DO spots out of the 34,266 and then subtract 26,678 from that number. That leaves you with the true number of brand new residency spots created in that time span (not many).

I don't really get what you're trying to argue.

Reactions: 4 users
Right. And now you have to subtract the former DO spots out of the 34,266 and then subtract 26,678 from that number. That leaves you with the true number of brand new residency spots created in that time span (not many).

I don't really get what you're trying to argue.
Positions per US senior:
2010: 1.42
2014: 1.54
2019: 1.70

Positions per US senior:
You're ignoring the AOA match and DO graduates.

"US Senior" is US MD seniors. It doesn't include DO seniors.
The positions the NRMP report uses are only for ACGME PGY-1 residencies. It doesn't include the ~2k positions in AOA in 2014.

2014 PGY-1 ACGME: 26,678
2014 PGY-1 AOA: 2,349
2014 PGY-1 Total: 29,027

2014 MD Grads: 18,078
2014 DO Grads: 4,978
2014 Total Grads: 23,056

2014 Positions per US MD+DO Senior: 1.26

2019 MD Grads: 19,938
2019 DO Grads: 6,636
2019 Total Grads: 26,574

2019 PGY-1 ACGME: 32,194
2019 PGY-1 AOA: 1,032
2019 PGY-1 Total: 33,226

2019 Positions per US MD+DO Senior: 1.25

References:

Reactions: 9 users

Some of the new residency programs are pretty crappy. Not surprisingly they're mostly HCA.

Positions per US senior:
This is incredible. You've made almost every single mistake possible in misinterpreting the data available and along the way in this thread people are correcting you. Do you understand the nature of what the merger was yet, and that it's fair to interpret this is a good match year for DOs?

No one is arguing against DO program proliferation here. No one thinks it is not more difficult for DOs to match into some programs.

• Haha
almost three-quarters (72.5%) of U.S. seniors matched to one of their top three choices compared to 54.1% matched to one of their top three choices.

The number of Psychiatry positions has grown every year since 2008. The 1,740 positions offered in 2019 was a 62.8 percent increase over 2008.

In 2019, Family Medicine offered 4,107 positions, the highest number on record, and filled 3,827 (93.2%); however, only 39.0 percent of the positions were filled by U.S. seniors, the lowest percentage on record.

Pediatrics (categorical) has gained positions every year since 2005 and offered a record-high 2,847 positions in 2019. The overall fill rate was 97.6 percent, but the 60.2 percent filled by U.S. seniors was the lowest percentage on record.

The 8,116 positions offered by categorical Internal Medicine programs is the highest number on record. Only 41.5 percent of positions were filled by U.S. seniors, the lowest percentage on record, even though the number is the highest since 1992.

The 32,194 PGY-1 positions offered constituted all-time high and an increase of 1,962 over 2018; more than half the increase was attributable to growth in Family Medicine and Internal Medicine.

A considerably higher percentage of U.S. allopathic seniors matched to their first-choice programs compared to independent applicants, and a considerably higher percentage of independent applicants did not match at all.

Still ignoring DO's not getting the residencies they want/lesser quality.

almost three-quarters (72.5%) of U.S. seniors matched to one of their top three choices compared to 54.1% matched to one of their top three choices.

The number of Psychiatry positions has grown every year since 2008. The 1,740 positions offered in 2019 was a 62.8 percent increase over 2008.

In 2019, Family Medicine offered 4,107 positions, the highest number on record, and filled 3,827 (93.2%); however, only 39.0 percent of the positions were filled by U.S. seniors, the lowest percentage on record.

Pediatrics (categorical) has gained positions every year since 2005 and offered a record-high 2,847 positions in 2019. The overall fill rate was 97.6 percent, but the 60.2 percent filled by U.S. seniors was the lowest percentage on record.

The 8,116 positions offered by categorical Internal Medicine programs is the highest number on record. Only 41.5 percent of positions were filled by U.S. seniors, the lowest percentage on record, even though the number is the highest since 1992.

The 32,194 PGY-1 positions offered constituted all-time high and an increase of 1,962 over 2018; more than half the increase was attributable to growth in Family Medicine and Internal Medicine.

A considerably higher percentage of U.S. allopathic seniors matched to their first-choice programs compared to independent applicants, and a considerably higher percentage of independent applicants did not match at all.

On average yes, it is hard for DOs to match at top places, but yet there are DOs at Yale, Harvard, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, and lots of other good university programs around the country. Also, we might not be getting top places, but that doesn't make most programs DOs land bad for that matter. Who cares anyway? We get the training, we get board certified, we work and make the same amount of money an MD would make.
Also, the argument I was having with you earlier was more about the numbers you were throwing out there. Good to see you still haven't learned from your previous mistakes. That's it I'm done arguing because it doesn't even matter. DO is still a better route than chasing an MD to the Caribbean. That last part was for naive pre-meds that might be reading your comments, so they don't get false ideas.

Last edited:

For the third time, what is the point you are driving at? You continue to post random statistics and calculations, which are almost all wrong or at least wrongly interpreted, and still haven't even said what your point is.

Reactions: 7 users
Most DO students going for competitive spots get spots that they are truly less competitive than. What is new? Why is this dude posting this???

Most DO students going for competitive spots get spots that they are truly less competitive than. What is new? Why is this dude posting this???

No one knows. The mistakes on the numbers gave me a migraine. I'm glad @BoneWizard managed to clear up the confusion.

We aren't seeing increases in residency numbers to the point that it would "worsen" the DO match quality with new programs. DOs were already matching a ton of non-competitive programs, they were just called AOA FM and IM programs and now they're ACGME accredited. Honestly, as far as I can tell competitive DOs are actually matching in more of a variety programs than before (probably because the match is combined now).

Reactions: 5 users