Do medical schools "like" primary care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GettinAfterIt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm finishing up my personal statement and activities section and had a question; should I mention my interest in primary care? I've heard that many schools highly favor students who are interested in primary care specialties.

I have a genuine interest in IM/FM, but I'm also interested in EM and gas.

tldr: Will mentioning my interest in primary care improve my chances of acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm finishing up my personal statement and activities section and had a question; should I mention my interest in primary care? I've heard that many schools highly favor students who are interested in primary care specialties.

I have a genuine interest in IM/FM, but I'm also interested in EM and gas.

tldr: Will mentioning my interest in primary care improve my chances of acceptance?
No, because people's change. It's nice to have interests, but always have an open mind.

Reactions: 2 users
I think most schools have kind of a “focus” on primary care, especially state schools. I explicitly mentioned during my interview for one school that my personal statement focused on PC and I got into that school so 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if it will improve your chances, since nowadays it seems like everybody applying to medical school wants primary care (nobody applying to med school says they want derm in their primary app). However, medical schools do value students going into primary care- it's just convincing them that you're being serious that's the hard part.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

As long as you pick schools with a PC mission or track. Saying it is one thing, but showing you have a ton of insights and experiences in PC helps.

Maybe get a NHSC.

• Love
I think most schools have kind of a “focus” on primary care, especially state schools. I explicitly mentioned during my interview for one school that my personal statement focused on PC and I got into that school so 🤷‍♀️
This is helpful thanks! My number one school is my state school.

I'm not sure if it will improve your chances, since nowadays it seems like everybody applying to medical school wants primary care (nobody applying to med school says they want derm in their primary app). However, medical schools do value students going into primary care- it's just convincing them that you're being serious that's the hard part.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Absolutely, that makes sense. thanks!

Indeed. OP if you want to help yourself, you need to walk the walk, not merely talk the talk.
I gotcha, thanks! I've shadowed multiple primary care docs and worked in a clinic so hopefully that helps.

As long as you pick schools with a PC mission or track. Saying it is one thing, but showing you have a ton of insights and experiences in PC helps.

Maybe get a NHSC.
Great point. I plan on applying to NHSC so we will see.

Definitely something that should go into the secondaries so you can tailor your responses to the schools that value primary care medicine. Agree with everything else said above.