Do medical schools look down on community college transcripts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priests

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to write a novel rant in hopes someone can answer something since I don't have anyone in person that can. Also, probably overthinking this whole thing too.

In high school I was a joint high school/community college student so I have about 50 credits that I've accumulated over my junior and senior years of HS. I wanted to do nursing through the CC (quickly decided it wasn't for me about a semester in) so now I'm finishing up my freshman year at the CC and stuck with a low GPA (3.5 cumulative) and a withdraw on the transcript. I'm 3 classes away from getting an AA and was thinking if it's worth it to just get it over the summer & raise my GPA to a 3.6? Right now I have almost a year of clinical work experience, volunteer at 2 places and am doing some shadowing so I didn't feel like I completely wasted my time and I wanted to do some things relevant to help me grow (planning to do these through undergrad). So my concern is that I'll be transferring to a uni this year (either health sciences or cellular/molecular bio major) as a sophomore and I have 0 research experience. Would it be too late to start as a sophomore/scoffed at? I know there's the whole "pre med student mold" that seems to be looked down upon, but it seems like most students have at least a few things in common (high gpa, good mcat, research, volunteer, shadowing) with some unique factors that make them standout (whatever that may be).

Members don't see this ad.

"Do medical schools look down on community college transcripts?"

No. You will join the thousands of other successful applicants who started out at CC and transferred to a 4-year.

Reactions: 6 users
No.

Also, its never too late to do anything. Your GPA isn't low. A 3.5 is fine but obviously you should try to ace the rest of your classes and raise it. At minimum, you would want to keep it where you are. Considering you are less than half way through your education, you have time. You wouldn't be expected to have research considering your at a CC, options there are probably extremely limited. Research isn't a requirement for med school by any means either, though I would personally recommend trying to find something at your Univ. If you take initiative and contact people, you will be able to find something, it doesn't matter what year your in. No one expects you to get set up with research your freshmen year, that would be ridiculous.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the "pre-med mold." While that can be a thing, I think its overblown if you do well academically and are not a sociopathic robot. The pre-med mold will get you into medical school. Not everyone in med school started a clinic. Do what your passionate about and do well academically.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A few MD schools do not accept CC credits in the pre-reqs. Invest in MSAR Online to see who does and who doesn't (like Baylor). There's no rhyme nor reason to it, either.

So I'm going to write a novel rant in hopes someone can answer something since I don't have anyone in person that can. Also, probably overthinking this whole thing too.

In high school I was a joint high school/community college student so I have about 50 credits that I've accumulated over my junior and senior years of HS. I wanted to do nursing through the CC (quickly decided it wasn't for me about a semester in) so now I'm finishing up my freshman year at the CC and stuck with a low GPA (3.5 cumulative) and a withdraw on the transcript. I'm 3 classes away from getting an AA and was thinking if it's worth it to just get it over the summer & raise my GPA to a 3.6? Right now I have almost a year of clinical work experience, volunteer at 2 places and am doing some shadowing so I didn't feel like I completely wasted my time and I wanted to do some things relevant to help me grow (planning to do these through undergrad). So my concern is that I'll be transferring to a uni this year (either health sciences or cellular/molecular bio major) as a sophomore and I have 0 research experience. Would it be too late to start as a sophomore/scoffed at? I know there's the whole "pre med student mold" that seems to be looked down upon, but it seems like most students have at least a few things in common (high gpa, good mcat, research, volunteer, shadowing) with some unique factors that make them standout (whatever that may be).

Why go to junior college when you could be a fratstar at a 4 year university? You didn't really think that one out

Why go to junior college when you could be a fratstar at a 4 year university? You didn't really think that one out

Figured a 2-year nursing degree with 1 year left getting a BSN was by far a cheaper and faster route. Tfw no rich parents to leech off of
¯\_(ツ)_/¯