Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Do non-degree Grad courses count in UG GPA?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by azor ahai, Jul 30, 2015.

1. azor ahai

2+ Year Member

I had to take ~4 grad courses for my UG biochem major. I am going to take some additional courses this Fall, and want to take grad courses in the upper level sciences. This is to get LOR's from academic professors as well as raise my UG GPA.

My question is if these courses will count towards my UG GPA from admissions committees.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. moemoekyun

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I took a grad course, and apparently it counted for the GPA. I put it in AMCAS, and it was treated like my other classes. I was still working on my BS, so I don't know if it's different for non-degree.

4. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took some as a part of my DIY postbacc. I called the school to clarify before doing so, and they said that any courses listed as 'graduate' level were counted as undergraduate unless taken as a part of an official graduate program. The designation was to indicate, for those who were in graduate programs, that the class covered material at a high enough level that graduate programs would typically accept it if arranged ahead of time.

I don't know whether that policy is specific to the school I took classes at, but it is at least one example of how these things are managed.

5. azor ahai

2+ Year Member

Tell me more about your DIY post-bacc because that is what I am doing.

According to this:
    "Assign Post Baccalaureate (PB) status to any undergraduate level course work you enrolled in:

·After receipt of your initial BA/BS degree.

·While enrolled in a graduate program, if course work is not applied to a graduate degree.

Assign Graduate (GR) status to any professional or graduate-level course work that is not applied to an undergraduate degree."

According to this, I'd have to assign them as grad courses...

edit:
    Oh wow, you're Mehc! I used your ANKI deck for the MCAT! haha, I didn't even get it from here I think it was just one of those shared decks. It's excellent. Thanks!

mehc012 likes this.
  6. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would call and ask the school you took them from. I asked mine and they told me that they were crediting me with undergraduate coursework despite the designation in the school catalog. The courses were on the same transcript as everything else and have been counted in my AMCAS gpa. Their response was basically "we don't have a graduate degree program, so we do not actually grant graduate level credit. If you take our graduate courses with approval from your graduate program, however, they can grant you graduate level credit for them."

PS It's great to hear that my deck has been useful to some! Too bad the exam changed so shortly after I made it :(

7. azor ahai

2+ Year Member

Does it even matter what your school says? It's AMCAS that provides them with the info anyway isn't it?

I just called NYU SOM and the woman sounded very unsure and basically said that it would count as post-bacc, but the AMCAS link I posted leads me to think otherwise.

I am not applying though, so I still have no idea how AMCAS would handle it in their GPA process. Is there a way to see how they would calculate it without starting the lengthy application process?

edit:
    Just contacted NYU where I went for UG, and got something definitive.

Haha, I know the feeling. I took it in Jan 13th. I started tutoring it anyway. The science aspect is still mostly the same.

8. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I really feel that 'graduate gpa' is for those who actually enrolled in a graduate program.
    Calling my school helped because I was told that they straight-up don't grant graduate credit, so mine had to be undergraduate.
    All of my courses were on the same transcript, so I entered them all under the same school (no graduate entry). AMCAS accepted the designation, even though my transcripts were reviewed 2x because they made errors during initial verification.
    If there are only a couple, even if AMCAS reclassifies them, that is only 1 or 2 errors, so it won't mess up your verification.

9. efle

efle not an elf
    Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't you have a 39 MCAT? You really need a post-bacc?

10. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey, I had a 40 and I definitely needed a postbacc. It happens!

11. efle

efle not an elf

Medical Student
    He has a 3.4, I thought a 39 would be fine to compensate...

12. azor ahai

2+ Year Member

I just got back from talking to a pre-health advisor at NYU (where I went for UG) and he looked at everything and told me that I needed to retake all my pre-reqs because they were too old. He was very adamant about it. I called NYU School of Medicine right after and they told me that they didn't care and it's a better use of my time to take upper division courses like I'm currently doing.

So much misinformation everywhere.

Anyway, I'm going to be taking some classes this Fall and perhaps in the Spring. It's too bad I can't take all of the bio courses I wanted to take because molec cell is a pre-req, which is also full. Many classes are. I was late to enroll this semester. I'm thinking of just taking some math courses or something just because it counts in BCPM.

13. efle

efle not an elf

Medical Student
    I wonder how many people per year get ****ed by their terrible premed advising

So what made you decide to do a post-bacc? Were you really worried about your odds?

14. azor ahai

2+ Year Member

I'm just taking classes as a visiting student. I did apply to NYU's post-bacc program because of their linkage program with NYU SOM, Mt.Sinai,and a bunch of other NY schools. Didn't get in. So I'm just taking some courses now for three reasons:
    1. demonstrate I can still handle a full courseload
    2. get academic LOR's
    3. maybe raise my GPA
    I did fairly well in my pre-reqs, I just had a disastrous senior year (traumatic event, stopped going to class, didn't even take a bunch of exams) and got a couple of C-'s and such. So that explains the GPA.

I'm still worried about my odds, don't think that'll ever go away. I really want to go some place in state (NY).

15. gonnif

gonnif Only 747 Days Until Next Presidential Election
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Overall GPA 3.4-3.6 with 39+ MCAT runs about 75%+ acceptance rate the last 2 cycles
    drops off significantly with GPA below that

16. gonnif

Non-Student
    Until 3 years ago or so, NYU med school had a specific policy that prerequisites had to be take within the past 5 years. It was causing issues for almost any student who took a gap year as freshman bio may be out of date. Age of prerequisites vary widely and most schools have no stated policy on the subject. With move to competency requirements, it would seem this would be less important moving forward.

Goro likes this.
  17. gonnif

Non-Student
    Single bad term or year are usually not that hard to overcome . Success in your informal postbacc should be sufficient. Dont get caught up in the overall GPA number

Goro likes this.
  18. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yup, that's why my goal was to get up to that 3.4 cutoff. Didn't make it :shrug:
    I didn't know the OP's specific stats, only that there are definitely reasons to attempt a postbacc even with a strong MCAT!

19. gonnif

Non-Student
    Also depends greatly on the grade trends within the original UG record. Having a bad freshman year that drags you down is a typical issue. Another is a single bad term due to an external reason (illness, death of parent, bad break up). A good record minus that bad year is a better indicator for the adcom

Goro likes this.
  20. efle

efle not an elf

Medical Student
    Sounds like in his case it's more to show recovery after what happened last year

mehc012 likes this.
  21. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Required classes don't expire at any medical school I know.

#20 gyngyn, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  22. gonnif

Non-Student
    Some do, not very wide spread. Have been getting this question from nontrads for 15 years now and have been trying as long to discern any pattern for it. example below.

http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_req.html
    Validity of courses. To fulfill an admissions requirement, courses must have been satisfactorily completed within 10 years of application. We recommend that one or more advanced science course(s) be completed within 5 years of application. All premedical required course work should be completed by January 31 of the year for which admission is sought.

gyngyn likes this.