SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

DO on Star Trek

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by sunnyjohn, Mar 2, 2007.

1. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard? 5+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2005
    In a world all my own.
    Yesterday I was wathcing Star Trek: Voyager on Spike. They were showing the episode where the ship was invaded by these aliens who where doing medical experiments on the crew. They had the ability to manipulate DNA on the fly. The aliens where "out of dimensional phase" so the Voyager crew could not see them.

Capt. Janeway had been having headaches for days and The Doctor (a hologram by-the-by) was treating her. The Doctor said he needed to perform a course of "osteopathic pressure therapy" in order to cure her. OMM in space!!!

I hit the TIVO rewind button a couple of times to hear it again. :laugh:

A DO on Star Trek!

Live Long and prosper!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect Physician 10+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2006
    State of Delirium
    :laugh: :laugh:

I always knew there was a reason I watched that show!

4. toothless rufus

toothless rufus 7+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Yes! And now finally this will open up the possibility of working osteopathic treatment booths into Star Trek Conventions! F.U., medicare reimbursement cuts, I found a whole new reason to live (long and prosper)!!

5. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard? 5+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2005
    In a world all my own.

Make that $ dude! :laugh:

Live Long and Prosper $$$$!!!

*Sunny pulling out her Star Trek blue officers uniform and massage chair so she can go to the next convention and provide "therapy" and make a few $$$*

6. SunshineNYC

SunshineNYC SunshineNYC 2+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2007
    NYC
    I have seen that episode SO many times and I just never noticed that. Thanks for the post.

7. group_theory

group_theory EX-TER-MIN-ATE!' Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2002
    So this begs the question ... is "The Doctor" on Voyager a holographic MD or holographic DO? Since he doesn't wear a white coat, we may never know (he certainly did not graduate from Starfleet Medical)

/wonder if I should put on a flame suit
    // wonder if I should get the lawn chair, popcorn, and beer ready for any subsequent mud fight?

8. SunshineNYC

SunshineNYC SunshineNYC 2+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2007
    NYC
    I'm not sure that he was ever even considered a doctor necessarily. He is the EMS (Emergency Medical Hologram), and was only designed as a backup, a poor substitute for a real doctor, in case of a medical emergency. However, due to the situation of Voyager being stuck in the delta quandrant with no real doctor on board, the chief engineer had to tweak his program and add more subroutines in order to give him a more complete medical knowledge base from which to draw information. I will say that since he clearly knows OMM as well as traditional medicine, we can call him a DO, since a DO is just an MD with extra training. :)

I am such a geek.

9. group_theory

group_theory EX-TER-MIN-ATE!' Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2002
    I was always under the impression that he was an ER/trauma doc ... and since he had to be on fulltime, he had to learn (via new subroutines) how to be an internal medicine/obgyn/pediatric doc :)

Put an EM resident on a general medical floor for a month and you will see the same type of bedside manners that "The Doctor" on Voyager displayed ;)

/puts on flame suit for subsequent EM residents to yell at me for stereotyping EM residents

10. Tones24

Tones24 Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2006
    This would appear to be true;)

11. CatsandCradles

CatsandCradles SDN Donor 5+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2005

Is this for real?

Your kidding me right?:laugh:

12. babyruth

babyruth Babyruth 5+ Year Member

Love this thread. Keep going.