MD & DO Do people finish Step 1 early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deweystrontium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a question for students who have taken or about to take Step 1. While browsing through the First Aid notes, I noticed a 45 min break that can be extended to 1 hour if you skip the tutorial in the beginning.

Hence, this 8-hour test is actually 7 hours, which makes it about 45 minutes longer than the MCAT.

However, I finished my MCAT about an hour early (15 to spare on each section). Is this common for the USMLE, as well? I'm not a huge fan of taking breaks during my exams, and I usually just chug down a Redbull or Monster during the "lunch break" and immediately continue.

I hate the idea of eating and then feeling lethargic for the rest of the exam.

Thanks for the insight!

Members don't see this ad.

You do not have to take the full break or any break for that matter. I did not take a long break but rather multiple smaller breaks after doing 2-3 blocks at a time just to go to the bathroom and get a drink/snack.

Reactions: 1 user
It's kinda hard to say how much time you'll need for step 1 if we're basing it on your mcat performance. They're just different tests.

You'll know how you need to pace yourself once you start taking practice exams during dedicated.

I know you're excited but it's much too early for you to worry about the logistics of Step lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't you the guy that asked how to stop being a gunner?

Reactions: 8 users
A good friend of mine finished his step one before noon. He remains the fastest test taker I’ve ever met - finished all shelf exams in about 45 minutes and similarly blitzed through steps 2 and 3 as well. Scores were >260 across the board.

I personally used nearly all my time on each exam and scored just as well. You’ll find your own stride; accuracy is far more important than speed.

Reactions: 3 users
A good friend of mine finished his step one before noon. He remains the fastest test taker I’ve ever met - finished all shelf exams in about 45 minutes and similarly blitzed through steps 2 and 3 as well. Scores were >260 across the board.

I personally used nearly all my time on each exam and scored just as well. You’ll find your own stride; accuracy is far more important than speed.
Don't you just hate people like that???

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

I have a question for students who have taken or about to take Step 1. While browsing through the First Aid notes, I noticed a 45 min break that can be extended to 1 hour if you skip the tutorial in the beginning.

Hence, this 8-hour test is actually 7 hours, which makes it about 45 minutes longer than the MCAT.

However, I finished my MCAT about an hour early (15 to spare on each section). Is this common for the USMLE, as well? I'm not a huge fan of taking breaks during my exams, and I usually just chug down a Redbull or Monster during the "lunch break" and immediately continue.

I hate the idea of eating and then feeling lethargic for the rest of the exam.

Thanks for the insight!

I took several breaks and ended with 50 minutes of breaktime remaining. It’s possible, just depends on your test taking style. I wouldn’t change your plan of attack just based on this, but if you are the type who wants to power through and you find you’re actually succeeding at practice exams using this strategy then I say you do you.

Don't you just hate people like that???

Thankfully he’s a really good guy so it’s tolerable. It was always funny to see him get up after 40 minutes and hear the proctor ask him to sign out to go use the restroom and him have to explain he was finished and not coming back.

I’ll have to ask him if he’s still like that in his practice now. He’s a radiologist and I wonder if he is able to read scans that much faster than most everyone else.

Reactions: 2 users
People finish early all the time..it isn't a race. I finished each section around 15 mins early..took a break after every section to drink some coffee and water. Kept me focused throughout. Ate some granola bars after the 3rd section...that's about it. Eat something you are familiar with and that you know won't put you to sleep.

Reactions: 1 user