Do people match into back ups without a Sub-I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spectreman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you’re pushing for a reach field, but want to play it safe and have a relatively competitive backup, can you do that without giving up 1 or 2 auditions for that field?
I’m 508/225 in 3rd year doing relatively well. My school’s surgery chair thinks I have a real shot at Gen Surge with my background/CV. I recognize my scores are sub threshold and I am seriously considering building an OBGYN backup. Loved that rotation, lots of surgery and very high stakes situations mixed with basically party planning with excited moms-to-be. I feel like it’s a much more complicated backup than IM/FM though.
So far my best letter writers have been amazing and offered to write letters for both, so I have that covered. I am just wondering if I need to set aside a couple of auditions at places I think would take me. My gut/heart tells me I should just go all in on GS and it’ll work out, but I’m married with kids and want to be smart about this.

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re pushing for a reach field, but want to play it safe and have a relatively competitive backup, can you do that without giving up 1 or 2 auditions for that field?
I’m 508/225 in 3rd year doing relatively well. My school’s surgery chair thinks I have a real shot at Gen Surge with my background/CV. I recognize my scores are sub threshold and I am seriously considering building an OBGYN backup. Loved that rotation, lots of surgery and very high stakes situations mixed with basically party planning with excited moms-to-be. I feel like it’s a much more complicated backup than IM/FM though.
So far my best letter writers have been amazing and offered to write letters for both, so I have that covered. I am just wondering if I need to set aside a couple of auditions at places I think would take me. My gut/heart tells me I should just go all in on GS and it’ll work out, but I’m married with kids and want to be smart about this.
OB is arguably more competitive than gen surg these days. Go all in or FM/IM backup. This is a bad idea IMO.

Reactions: 6 users
OB is arguably more competitive than gen surg these days. Go all in or FM/IM backup. This is a bad idea IMO.
I’ve been using FREIDA and residencyexplorer.org and it makes it look like my stats are solid for OBGYN or Anesthesia and a long shot for gen surge. I guess I could reach out to our OBGYN chair and see what she says. What makes you say it’s more competitive than GS?

Members don't see this ad :)
it look like my stats are solid for OBGYN
When I was interested in ob/gyn, I spoke with a lot of M4s who matched last year and I was told that it would be pretty hard to match OB as a DO without a 230+. It seems like one of the fields where there is a pretty big discrepancy between MD and DO step scores.

When I was interested in ob/gyn, I spoke with a lot of M4s who matched last year and I was told that it would be pretty hard to match OB as a DO without a 230+. It seems like one of the fields where there is a pretty big discrepancy between MD and DO step scores.
Oh geez, my friend matched OBGYN last year with a 208 and 480. She killed step 2 though. Maybe it was a fluke, she was super personable and auditioned where she matched. I also worry that FReida and such is outdated or inaccurate.

Oh geez, my friend matched OBGYN last year with a 208 and 480. She killed step 2 though. Maybe it was a fluke, she was super personable and auditioned where she matched. I also worry that FReida and such is outdated or inaccurate.
The chance of matching seems to significancy increase after a 230, although the mean DO matched Step 1 is reported at a 226 and mean level 1 at a 507, which you fit almost exactly. I guess it would depend on which programs you target and how risk averse you are, but I just don't think it's necessarily a good back up as you'd probably have to apply to a decent amount of programs to yield a decent amount of interviews.
Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 11.31.11 AM.png

Reactions: 1 users
The chance of matching seems to significancy increase after a 230, although the mean DO matched Step 1 is reported at a 226 and mean level 1 at a 507, which you fit almost exactly. I guess it would depend on which programs you target and how risk averse you are, but I just don't think it's necessarily a good back up as you'd probably have to apply to a decent amount of programs to yield a decent amount of interviews.View attachment 283884
Dang, tough call. I guess my other thought is abandon GS altogether and play it more “safe” by going all in on OBGYN. Feels like settling though, I did 4 years of med/surge before med school and I like genuinely miss it deep in my soul. Stats on GS are pretty bad for me though, like barely 40%.
Anyway, it sounds like moral of the story is you probably shouldn’t build a backup like this as a borderline candidate.

Dang, tough call. I guess my other thought is abandon GS altogether and play it more “safe” by going all in on OBGYN. Feels like settling though, I did 4 years of med/surge before med school and I like genuinely miss it deep in my soul. Stats on GS are pretty bad for me though, like barely 40%.
Anyway, it sounds like moral of the story is you probably shouldn’t build a backup like this as a borderline candidate.
I'm not that familiar with GS matching, but based on the match outcomes it does seem like more of an uphill battle than ob/gyn. I think at the end of the day you'll have to make a decision based on how risk averse you are and what your gut says. Making connections in GS will probably help you a ton, too.

Wrong. There is reverse discrimination that’s actually working in men favor for OBGYN. The field is now dominated by women and OBGYN leadership is pushing for sex parity. OP is very competitive for OBGYN.

Reactions: 4 users

Lifestyle for both GS and OBGYN blows. But apply to the one that you enjoy more based on your third year rotation exp.

As for audition, I don’t know the landscape for GS. But my guy friend with Step 1 in the 220s does only one OBGYN audition in one of the UTs, and now has 10+ IIs. He will match OBGYN for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
If people around you think you can impress on an audition then do it. I say honest people around you because we all think we are going to standout when we really likely wont

I’ve been using FREIDA and residencyexplorer.org and it makes it look like my stats are solid for OBGYN or Anesthesia and a long shot for gen surge. I guess I could reach out to our OBGYN chair and see what she says. What makes you say it’s more competitive than GS?
FREIDA is incredibly outdated and inaccurate. I would not rely on any information gleaned from here.

OB/GYN has been tough on a lot of DO students so far this season. A lot of people panicking over having <8 interview invites when probably 90% have already gone out. Your stats are not ideal for matching either specialty TBH. You'll want to do 4+ auditions/sub-i and apply to around 100 programs in either specialty.

Simply put, ob/gyn is not a backup specialty. Go one way or the other, you won't be settling by choosing ob/gyn over surgery, that kind of pre-med thinking should be put to rest at this point. Do what you think will make you happiest.

Reactions: 2 users
Wrong. There is reverse discrimination that’s actually working in men favor for OBGYN. The field is now dominated by women and OBGYN leadership is pushing for sex parity. OP is very competitive for OBGYN.
There are certainly advantages being a male in OB/GYN but there are a lot of programs that won't interview or rank male applicants. I've both heard this from students at other programs and seen it in my own application cycle. .

Members don't see this ad :)
FREIDA is incredibly outdated and inaccurate. I would not rely on any information gleaned from here.

OB/GYN has been tough on a lot of DO students so far this season. A lot of people panicking over having <8 interview invites when probably 90% have already gone out. Your stats are not ideal for matching either specialty TBH. You'll want to do 4+ auditions/sub-i and apply to around 100 programs in either specialty.

Simply put, ob/gyn is not a backup specialty. Go one way or the other, you won't be settling by choosing ob/gyn over surgery, that kind of pre-med thinking should be put to rest at this point. Do what you think will make you happiest.
Man, such a mix of advice here. I appreciate everyone’s insight though. I still feel like OBGYN is a safer route than GS, but I get that I’m not particularly competitive for either.
People going for Ortho/ENT/whatever will build GS backup apps all the time, I don’t see it as a PreMed mindset at all. Just trying to be smart and consider my options. I’m married with 4 kids and have a lot to think about while I weigh these decisions.

Last edited:
Man, such a mix of advice here. I appreciate everyone’s insight though. I still feel like OBGYN is a safer route than GS, but I get that I’m not particularly competitive for either.
People going for Ortho/ENT/whatever will build GS backup apps all the time, I don’t see it as a PreMed mindset at all. Just trying to be smart and consider my options. I’m married with 4 kids and have a lot to think about while I weigh these decisions.
I meant that the feeling of "settling" by choosing a "less competitive" specialty is a pre-med mindset.

I'm also married with kids, going Ob/gyn. For me it was about being part of the happiest times of people's lives vs being part of the most miserable times of people's lives and working with a younger, much healthier population with long term continuity of care.

Moral of the story is, don't pick between these two based off what you think you're competitive for. If you were comparing Derm vs Ob/gyn or gen surg vs IM, I'd tell you that your competitiveness should be weighed in. But these are close to equivalent, so do what you think will make you happiest in the long run.

People who use GS as a back up for ortho/ENT typically are 240+ candidates with research, ie very solid GS candidates to begin with. I’m not sure that OB will function as a good back up because you are very average, perhaps even below average, for it.

I would pick which one you want and then go all in. You’ll need to apply to 100+ most likely no matter what you apply to. Personally I think you can match GS but you will need to be smart with where you do auditions and apply very broadly.

Reactions: 5 users
It's also worth mentioning that plenty of GS spots open up pgy2. It has a very high number of people switching specialties after first year is over. You can as such get into GS from a surgery preliminary program potentially as well.

Not only is FRIEDA outdated, but there's a lot more uncertainty this year given the merger. Will it benefit DOs? Will it hurt DOs? There's been countless threads debating this, so I'm not starting an argument here, but the point is that you can't really get a reliable answer for gray areas like this until we have 1-2 match cycles' data.

The best bet is to play it safe. OBGYN is not a back up specialty with your stats, sorry to say. Choose whichever one you want the most and go hard getting into that one, with FM/IM as a backup.

The only way I'd feel comfortable in your shoes is by applying to 60+ OB/Gyn residencies on top of my already 60+ Gen surg programs. I feel like as a DO, auditions are must.. I would also throw in a few apps at IM or FM as even more backups.

I don't blame you though. Absolutely loved my ob rotation and it made me reconsider everything I thought I was set on.

Do those auditions early like bet Jun to July. Need to get an academic better in before application date 9/15

It will help you. Don’t need them as much if your stats are competitive.

Unfortunately my 2 months of surgery are my last 2 of the year. Would be nice to get those in sooner and double check I don’t want to officially change course and go all in on OBGYN. Either way it sounds like I should certainly get some FM/IM letters.

What people don’t understand when they look at Freida and are looking at the average scores for the program, it does not apply if you’re a DO, especially if the program is mostly MDs. If you’re a DO, your score better be a lot higher.

Reactions: 3 users
What people don’t understand when they look at Freida and are looking at the average scores for the program, it does not apply if you’re a DO, especially if the program is mostly MDs. If you’re a DO, your score better be a lot higher.
What about residencyexplorer.org because that differentiates for DOs apparently.
A lot of positivity here, I appreciate it. Sounds like if I could be equally happy in either I would have a slightly better chance of matching OBGYN. I should probably explore some IM fellowships I might enjoy or be competitive for as well. I wouldn’t be opposed to an FM with OB route either, my fam digs rural America and would be happy with that too.

Last edited:
Yeah according to that resource I would match well into a ton of OBGYN programs and there are like 2 GS places where I meet criteria. Bum deal, but I still might take the risk.
No offense man but I know numerous friends with stats considerably better than yours who applied OB and applied broadly and they are getting murdered right now

Yeah according to that resource I would match well into a ton of OBGYN programs and there are like 2 GS places where I meet criteria. Bum deal, but I still might take the risk.

I think your best bet is to pick either gen surg or OB as your reach. For the first 2-3 months of 4th year, you will rotate at places that historically have taken DO's into those programs. Get letters from the attending you work with. Because your scores are on the lower end for these specialties I think you should play it safe and look to go to places where DO's make up 15-20% of the residency team (use FRIEDA filters) as supposed to places that only take 1-2 DOs a year since more than likely they are looking for candidates with strong scores (if not stronger compared to the MD applicants, which is a really shame that's how it's looked at but such is life). For the the realm of OB and GS, this will mean going to a community program vs. a university one.

Your back up should be IM or FM. You will need letters for that as well and I suggest getting those in your third year. Try and honor your IM and/or FM shelf. For IM, most programs will require a chairs letter so if your school as a IM chair get plugged in now to get a letter from them.

Whatever specialty you decide on, I really suggest doing some sort of research and attending local/regional/national conferences both MD and DO to not only network but to also get involved with what is going on in those fields by attending sessions.

It is possible to match with your app. You need to be realistic and weight your preferences (GS OB at a less than desirable location or program? or less competitive specialty with more wiggle room to be picky about location and program).

Reactions: 9 users
I think your best bet is to pick either gen surg or OB as your reach. For the first 2-3 months of 4th year, you will rotate at places that historically have taken DO's into those programs. Get letters from the attending you work with. Because your scores are on the lower end for these specialties I think you should play it safe and look to go to places where DO's make up 15-20% of the residency team (use FRIEDA filters) as supposed to places that only take 1-2 DOs a year since more than likely they are looking for candidates with strong scores (if not stronger compared to the MD applicants, which is a really shame that's how it's looked at but such is life). For the the realm of OB and GS, this will mean going to a community program vs. a university one.

Your back up should be IM or FM. You will need letters for that as well and I suggest getting those in your third year. Try and honor your IM and/or FM shelf. For IM, most programs will require a chairs letter so if your school as a IM chair get plugged in now to get a letter from them.

Whatever specialty you decide on, I really suggest doing some sort of research and attending local/regional/national conferences both MD and DO to not only network but to also get involved with what is going on in those fields by attending sessions.

It is possible to match with your app. You need to be realistic and weight your preferences (GS OB at a less than desirable location or program? or less competitive specialty with more wiggle room to be picky about location and program).
I agree that you should focus applications on places that have a DO, but I disagree with Altered on how to find that out. Go to each program's website and look at the resident roster. While you are there you should look at the letter of recommendation requirements because some places require letters from a department chair or program director. If you're going to be spending $26 on these applications you at least owe it to yourself to go to the programs website in advance.

I agree that you should focus applications on places that have a DO, but I disagree with Altered on how to find that out. Go to each program's website and look at the resident roster. While you are there you should look at the letter of recommendation requirements because some places require letters from a department chair or program director. If you're going to be spending $26 on these applications you at least owe it to yourself to go to the programs website in advance.
Been doing that, built a spreadsheet off Frieda using “at least one DO” as part of the filter and then going to all the sites to confirm and list how many DOs they have as well as any odd requirements that come up. Unfortunately lots of vague info still and plenty of generic text that is on all of their programs, but still building a good list. Also hunting for residents who went to my undergrad since it’s a close-knit religious university, would make reaching out to one of them much easier. All in all I’m feeling pretty good. Got my class rank today and it was much better than expected, so I’m trying to count my blessings and stay positive.

Been doing that, built a spreadsheet off Frieda using “at least one DO” as part of the filter and then going to all the sites to confirm and list how many DOs they have as well as any odd requirements that come up. Unfortunately lots of vague info still and plenty of generic text that is on all of their programs, but still building a good list. Also hunting for residents who went to my undergrad since it’s a close-knit religious university, would make reaching out to one of them much easier. All in all I’m feeling pretty good. Got my class rank today and it was much better than expected, so I’m trying to count my blessings and stay positive.
So you went to BYU lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

I'll have to say that doing this along with FRIEDA is smartest. Because some programs in Frieda fall through the cracks when PDs don't provide information about there resident breakdown which can happen alot with smaller programs.

Unfortunately my 2 months of surgery are my last 2 of the year. Would be nice to get those in sooner and double check I don’t want to officially change course and go all in on OBGYN. Either way it sounds like I should certainly get some FM/IM letters.

Talk to the medical student coordinator at your institution. Often they might be amiable to switching your schedule if you express interest, especially if that institution has said program.

OBGYN is getting more and more competitive each year. I would be weary to have OB as a back-up, ever.

Last edited:
not to piggyback of Spectreman's thread but I'm a 3rd year sitting at a 503/223 (almost similar stats). Currently bouncing back and forth between gen surg and EM. Do you think it'd be a good idea to apply broadly for gen surg and have EM as a back up? I'm guessing it would be tricky to navigate getting SLOEs while doing Sub-Is for gen surg but I'm curious to what others think. If it means anything I have 2 research poster presentations but no publications or ongoing research atm.

not to piggyback of Spectreman's thread but I'm a 3rd year sitting at a 503/223 (almost similar stats). Currently bouncing back and forth between gen surg and EM. Do you think it'd be a good idea to apply broadly for gen surg and have EM as a back up? I'm guessing it would be tricky to navigate getting SLOEs while doing Sub-Is for gen surg but I'm curious to what others think. If it means anything I have 2 research poster presentations but no publications or ongoing research atm.

You pick one and go all out. Applying to one with the other as backup will mean soapland for you. There’s no such thing as a backup considering that you are barely competitive for either specialties.

Been playing around in these, genuinely seems like I should go all in on OBGYN assuming I’d be equally happy in both. Either way these docs are super helpful IMO, I’m sure they’re out there for other specialties. *Hardcore gunners prolly rollin’ their eyes at my noobism here*

Gen Surge Doc
OBGYN Doc

You pick one and go all out. Applying to one with the other as backup will mean soapland for you. There’s no such thing as a backup considering that you are barely competitive for either specialties.
I appreciate the input, I am leaning towards EM so if I were to go all out for one I'd most likely choose that. Would I be right in saying that I am way more competitive for EM than gen surg? Or do you think EM is creeping up to the competitiveness of gen surg due to desirable lifestyle and all things merger related.

Neither one of these is really a "backup" for the other. Gen surg is less DO friendly than EM but running the numbers with your scores if you couldn't match one it's unlikely you'd match the other, as you're below average (but definitely not out of the running) for both fields.

I appreciate the input, I am leaning towards EM so if I were to go all out for one I'd most likely choose that. Would I be right in saying that I am way more competitive for EM than gen surg? Or do you think EM is creeping up to the competitiveness of gen surg due to desirable lifestyle and all things merger related.

You choose one whether it’s GS or EM. Commitment to the field goes a long way. The only way to show commitment to that field is to collect min 2 EM/GS LORs and do multiple Sub-Is in that field. If you’re not going all in, you will not match to either. This year match is going to be a bloodbath in a lot of subspecialties. There’s already an influx of in service panic emails from my school to current MS IV.

To be an average candidate, you need a 230-235 Step 1. You’re still in the running for either fields bc you’re within the 10 pts range of the average on the low side. That’s why it’s crucial for you to pick one and go all out for LORs and Sub-I.

I know someone who’s applying to Opth with 240+ with Anesthesia as a backup. Even Anesthesia hasn’t been kind to this person. The only real backup specialties for a DO are FM/community IM/Peds.

EM is increasing is competitiveness sure but is not near GS levels, not for DOs anyway. If you went all in for EM and did a bunch of aways, worked hard for good SLOEs, and applied broadly I really don’t see a world where you don’t match EM. The same cannot he said for GS. The 220s applicants I know right now applying GS have 5-6 interviews each. One guy applied to 100+ and he has 11. You would have to heavily rely on being loved on your auditions.

Unfortunately GS is difficult for below average score DOs because it’s the first thing they look at and use to screen. Obviously chances are higher if you do auditions at some of the smaller DO places that aren’t board heavy and only take auditioners.

Been playing around in these, genuinely seems like I should go all in on OBGYN assuming I’d be equally happy in both. Either way these docs are super helpful IMO, I’m sure they’re out there for other specialties. *Hardcore gunners prolly rollin’ their eyes at my noobism here*

Gen Surge Doc
OBGYN Doc

I'm in a similar boat. Like OB and Surg... ( as well as EM). Right now leaning more the OB route but that's my next rotation so I'll have a better idea next month. Ive had a few people say that OB generally seem to be happier than Gen Surge. So it's done, now you know what to pick.

All kidding aside... hope you find out what you want to do, the stress is real.

I'm suprised at the interest in EM, it's one of the ones that's always been at the top of my "list", but it was the biggest club on our campus. So many people want to go into it here.

I'm in a similar boat. Like OB and Surg... ( as well as EM). Right now leaning more the OB route but that's my next rotation so I'll have a better idea next month. Ive had a few people say that OB generally seem to be happier than Gen Surge. So it's done, now you know what to pick.

I'm suprised at the interest in EM, it's one of the ones that's always been at the top of my "list", but it was the biggest club on our campus. So many people want to go into it here.
About 25% of my class is applying EM this year. On par with IM and FM for most popular

If we’re going off what our class talks about then my school is going to have 75 ortho 75 Derm and 75 Trauma surgery

the popular thing at my school is lie to your classmates that you’re wanting EM so you can convince someone to trade rotations to get your SLOE when you really just want early surgery auditions.

If we’re going off what our class talks about then my school is going to have 75 ortho 75 Derm and 75 Trauma surgery

the popular thing at my school is lie to your classmates that you’re wanting EM so you can convince someone to trade rotations to get your SLOE when you really just want early surgery auditions.

What year are you?

What year are you?
3rd year. We’ve already had our come home days and I haven’t heard a single classmate say IM/FM or anything other than surgery/derm. I had at least 10 classmates hitting me up last March to swap my rurals because they “needed those months for SLOEs” and nearly all of them had been planning surgery the whole time. Funny thing is most of them delayed Step, so they’re going off that turning out well. Most of those wanting my rurals were top of our class though, I’m not surprised to see they’re not actually wanting EM.

3rd year. We’ve already had our come home days and I haven’t heard a single classmate say IM/FM or anything other than surgery/derm. I had at least 10 classmates hitting me up last March to swap my rurais because they “needed those months for SLOEs” and nearly all of them had been planning surgery the whole time. Funny thing is most of them delayed Step, so they’re going off that turning out well. Most of those wanting my rurals were top of our class though, I’m not surprised to see they’re not actually wanting EM.

Haha interesting. Usually boards drastically reduce the number of surgery/ortho/derm peeps.