DO personal statement? talk about osteopathic medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nkafeel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the personal statement do we need to's say why we chose osteopathic medicine or do we keep that for the secondaries.?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the general consensus is that if you mention it in detail in your PS then you'll have nothing to talk about in your secondaries. Mentioning it briefly though like a sentence or two I've read is fine. I haven't mentioned it at all only mentioned why I want to practice medicine (not saying this is the right way)

I left it out of my PS because my PS was more broadly focused on my journey towards wanting to be a physician (and not DO vs MD). There was plenty of room in the secondaries to discuss my prior experience and exposure to DOs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same question. I'd rather talk about my journey and activities leading up to my decision to be in medical doctor rather than talk about osteopathic medicine. I already have thoroughly discussed various DO shadowing experiences.

At the end of the day I want to be a physician.

I think it is a good idea to at least mention the word "Osteopathic" in your personal statement so schools do not think your DO PS is only a cut down version of an MD PS. If you are talking about your journey in life that led to wanting to become a physician then there is might also be room to squeeze in a few words about why osteopathic qualities. Some DO secondaries provide a lot of room to answer the question "Why DO?" but some do not.