DO Primary Care emphasis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CmePaddlin

Deciding the next step...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading on the websites of many of the osteopathic schools that the specialize and emphasize in preparing students to become primary care providers.
If I attend a school that emphasizes primary care, will that decrease my odds of matching in different specialty?
For example, interventional radiology and anesthesiology are the two specialties that interest me the most, so if I go to one of these schools will that hamper my chances of these specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been reading on the websites of many of the osteopathic schools that the specialize and emphasize in preparing students to become primary care providers.
If I attend a school that emphasizes primary care, will that decrease my odds of matching in different specialty?
For example, interventional radiology and anesthesiology are the two specialties that interest me the most, so if I go to one of these schools will that hamper my chances of these specialties?

Yes and no.

Traditionally these schools send fewer students into those areas so there may be fewer programs familiar with graduates from these schools.

But you wont be "held back" by going to a school that has a larger primary care influence.

Hello, Riker here! I don't think it matters as much as your board scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm guessing if they send fewer into these areas, another option is to take USMLE Step 1 and rock it, and apply for MD spots as well?
Is it pretty difficult as a D.O. to get into radiology and anesthesiology residencies for MDs?

Or, you can join the Navy through the HPSP program, get school tuition paid, $1000 a month, and get into a Navy residency program.. regardless of being a DO or MD.... Hey.. just a thought. ... no flames please :)

So I'm guessing if they send fewer into these areas, another option is to take USMLE Step 1 and rock it, and apply for MD spots as well?
Is it pretty difficult as a D.O. to get into radiology and anesthesiology residencies for MDs?

It's pretty difficult for MDs to get into radiology and anesthesiology residencies for MDs. :eek: Actually -- not sure how competitive anesth. is off the top of my head.

How about you just focus on applying broadly and judge the schools fairly if you get invited for interview. :idea:

Best of luck!

I already planned on applying very, very broadly, dont like to put all my eggs in one basket.

I just dont want to go into this with unrealistic expectations of a speciality and be let down at the end of it all and get placed into FP.

I already planned on applying very, very broadly, dont like to put all my eggs in one basket.

I just dont want to go into this with unrealistic expectations of a speciality and be let down at the end of it all and get placed into FP.

Gas is very attainable for DO's.

I'd say that rads is slightly harder for DO's but not by much. It all comes down to crushing the boards and performing well at away rotations. There's also rads residencies that are only open to DO's but I'm not sure as to the quality of them.

If I'm not mistaken a DO from DMU even matched into a rad onc residency this year so anything is possible.

How about you just focus on applying broadly and judge the schools fairly if you get invited for interview. :idea:

Best of luck!

You do bring up a good point though, I'll be ecstatic just to be practicing medicine and get out of my stupid/half though through idea to get my BSN.
Which leads me to my second question,
I'll be completing my BSN with ~3.5 GPA (not a single one was a nursing pre-req, they were all upper level science and math courses), with a minor in che.mistry (decent GPA, will get ~3.6-3 GPA there). Will take the MCAT once I'm done with physics in a year and a half. Have a very good upward trend, been on the President's Honor Roll for 2 years.
I have had 2 years of molecular biology/genetics work in a lab working on amphibian fungal diseases, and am currently working in a molecular biochemistry lab with the effects of caloric restriction on obese patients. Not yet published anything.
Also have been very active at my university in student government, a few clubs.
Do you think my odds of getting into a D.O. program are pretty decent?

You do bring up a good point though, I'll be ecstatic just to be practicing medicine and get out of my stupid/half though through idea to get my BSN.
Which leads me to my second question,
I'll be completing my BSN with ~3.5 GPA (not a single one was a nursing pre-req, they were all upper level science and math courses), with a minor in che.mistry (decent GPA, will get ~3.6-3 GPA there). Will take the MCAT once I'm done with physics in a year and a half. Have a very good upward trend, been on the President's Honor Roll for 2 years.
I have had 2 years of molecular biology/genetics work in a lab working on amphibian fungal diseases, and am currently working in a molecular biochemistry lab with the effects of caloric restriction on obese patients. Not yet published anything.
Also have been very active at my university in student government, a few clubs.
Do you think my odds of getting into a D.O. program are pretty decent?

yes, pull a 26+ on the MCAT and you'll be a shoe-in.

Then again, I'm no adcomm ;)

Also, if you're applying DO make sure to shadow a DO and get an LOR... it's really important even at the schools where it's "optional".

Phew, good to hear. Not too happy with nursing at the moment, there hasnt been a challenge here since day one and its driving me crazy. Memorize the signs of hypoglycemia, and what to report to the attending about it, not too exciting.

I think the only allo school I'm going to consider applying to is UWSOM and OHSU, simply because they're in the Pacific NW and I would love to stay here, the rest I'm applying D.O. I just want to practice medicine, dont care about what letters are behind my name.
And if you guys think the 'letters behind your name' thing is bad between DO/MD, come to nursing school. Every one of my instructors has more letters depicting degree stuff on her nametag than her actual name, its insane.

And if you guys think the 'letters behind your name' thing is bad between DO/MD, come to nursing school. Every one of my instructors has more letters depicting degree stuff on her nametag than her actual name, its insane.

No thanks, been there done that!

No thanks, been there done that!

lrobin15, so I take it you have gone through a BSN program and gone onto DMU? If so, would you mind if I asked you a few questions?

Or, you can join the Navy through the HPSP program, get school tuition paid, $1000 a month, and get into a Navy residency program.. regardless of being a DO or MD.... Hey.. just a thought. ... no flames please :)

Love to hear more about your experience...something about me is just very against letting the Military dictate to me where I will live and when I will live there....

Also heard other horror stories.

PCOM puts a few people in anesthesia all over philadelphia every year

Penn, Jefferson, Temple

Anesthesia seems to be very friendly to DOs

Rads, not so much

PCOM puts a few people in anesthesia all over philadelphia every year

Penn, Jefferson, Temple

Anesthesia seems to be very friendly to DOs

Rads, not so much

I could live with that, I dont have my mind set on "rads or nothing" mentality.

I could live with that, I dont have my mind set on "rads or nothing" mentality.

A couple of guys who matched into allopathic rads from my school this year had a couple things in common. #1 --most important for DO applying to allopathic rads was them taking the USMLE. The program director told them w/o USMLE score they wouldn't have been looked at because he didn't understand the COMLEX score. #2--they both scored 99th percentile on the USMLE. Rads is very competitive for MD or DO. Its all what you make of it.