DO residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ponderer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was looking at this website http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/Opportunities/Opportunities.asp
and realized that many spots for dermatology went unfilled. what does that mean?

does that also mean DO students might have 'greater' chance of getting into a derm residency with the fact that DO residency are opened only to DO graduates?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Great question. I wish we had an answer for it!

I wish you the best of luck in trying to get a straight forward answer from the AOA!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in derm so if you find out anything give me a shout.

R.P.J
DMU-2004

according to chris lareau DO's msg, it seems like it's easier for DO to get into DO derm rsidency since it's only opened to DO graduates. with so many spots unfilled this year, i don't really know what is going on.

ryanj,
i know this ucsf melanoma fellow, who is a DO and will be applying to ucsf derm program. i'll try to find out more info re. the derm program from him.

did you guys get a chance to look at the website that i posted? what do you think of the possible explanation for many competitive fields that went unfilled???

Hi, I've been told that the "unfilled" numbers are completely inaccurate on the Oppurtunities website (with regard to every specialty). Dermatology is super competitive in the D.O. world too and from the D.O. residency director I spoke to... he doubts if any spots went unmatched. Good luck in your pursuit of this very competitive field!

Most likely those are spots that will NOT be filled. Programs are shrinking, especially on the DO side. From Ortho to OB-GYN, residency programs are condensing due to many reasons. You must remember, most DO programs are not university affiliated, and these are PRIVATE docs. Many of whom, are unable to spend necessary time teaching etc. Many of the best candidates end up applying to MD residencies, leaving for some slim pickings for quality residents.

from my conversation with a derm fellow, it seems like the 'unfilled' spots could be 'not-accredited'. that's why he advised me to be extremely careful about choosing some residency programs.