DO DO School List Revision - Advice Needed!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YaTuSabes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So here's a little bit about me:
3.8 GPA/3.7 sGPA/507 MCAT (29-30 on the old MCAT)
NYS Resident (NYC); will be graduating in spring 2016
Applied to mostly lower tier MD schools last cycle, no interviews. I obviously did not know much about DO schools and pretty much shot myself in the foot for not researching further. Now, I have to take a gap year and figure out what exactly went wrong.

ECs:
- Hospital volunteering in 2 depts (1.5 yrs)
- Bench lab research in genetics (3 years) --> will be getting out with a poster and an undergraduate honors thesis. A publication will also be coming out but not in time for application time though.
- AmeriCorps internship (1 summer - 3 months)
- Non-clinical volunteering with visually impaired (6 months)
- Volunteering abroad (winter break - 3 weeks)
- On-campus tutoring (1.5 years)
- Employed as a cashier at Walgreens (since the past 6 months)
- Teaching assistant for middle schoolers (1 summer - 3 months)

I don't have time to retake the MCAT and if I do, I would have to take 2 gap years. It not very ideal for both me and my family to wait this long. I am still kicking myself for not reading up on the DO philosophy last year and now that I have, I would love to be a DO and apply only DO this upcoming cycle.

What I want to know is: What are my chances at the following schools? Any other schools you guys would recommend (definitely want to stay on the East Coast and willing to only go as far as the midwest).

1) Touro NY - both Harlem and Middletown is oK
2) NYCOM
3) PCOM
4) UNECOM
5) CCOM
6) LECOM - both Erie and Seton Hill
7) DMU-COM – Des Moines, Iowa

Also want to consider the following, but not sure:
1) MU-COM? - I know it's new and hasn't graduated a class yet ( I like Indianapolis though...)
2) VCOM - VA?
3) WVSOM? - I heard it is VERY rural
4) KCUMB?
5) Rowan SOM? (I know they have in-state preference and a very high OOS tuition rate)
6) ATSU-KCOM?

Any other suggestions? All help/ideas/thoughts/suggestions/advice are welcome!
Thank you all for your help.

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Chances are excellent for any of these schools

1) Touro NY
2) NYCOM
3) PCOM
4) UNECOM
5) CCOM
6) LECOM
7) DMU-COM
1) MU-COM
2) VCOM - VA
3) WVSOM
4) KCUMB
6) ATSU-KCOM
Both Westerns
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
PCOM-GA
Nova
LECOM-B

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Guys,
So here's a little bit about me:
3.8 GPA/3.7 sGPA/507 MCAT (29-30 on the old MCAT)
NYS Resident (NYC); will be graduating in spring 2016
Applied to mostly lower tier MD schools last cycle, no interviews. I obviously did not know much about DO schools and pretty much shot myself in the foot for not researching further. Now, I have to take a gap year and figure out what exactly went wrong.

ECs:
- Hospital volunteering in 2 depts (1.5 yrs)
- Bench lab research in genetics (3 years) --> will be getting out with a poster and an undergraduate honors thesis. A publication will also be coming out but not in time for application time though.
- AmeriCorps internship (1 summer - 3 months)
- Non-clinical volunteering with visually impaired (6 months)
- Volunteering abroad (winter break - 3 weeks)
- On-campus tutoring (1.5 years)
- Employed as a cashier at Walgreens (since the past 6 months)
- Teaching assistant for middle schoolers (1 summer - 3 months)

I don't have time to retake the MCAT and if I do, I would have to take 2 gap years. It not very ideal for both me and my family to wait this long. I am still kicking myself for not reading up on the DO philosophy last year and now that I have, I would love to be a DO and apply only DO this upcoming cycle.

What I want to know is: What are my chances at the following schools? Any other schools you guys would recommend (definitely want to stay on the East Coast and willing to only go as far as the midwest).

1) Touro NY - both Harlem and Middletown is oK
2) NYCOM
3) PCOM
4) UNECOM
5) CCOM
6) LECOM - both Erie and Seton Hill
7) DMU-COM – Des Moines, Iowa

Also want to consider the following, but not sure:
1) MU-COM? - I know it's new and hasn't graduated a class yet ( I like Indianapolis though...)
2) VCOM - VA?
3) WVSOM? - I heard it is VERY rural
4) KCUMB?
5) Rowan SOM? (I know they have in-state preference and a very high OOS tuition rate)
6) ATSU-KCOM?

Any other suggestions? All help/ideas/thoughts/suggestions/advice are welcome!
Thank you all for your help.

@Goro
As far as DO schools go I would apply to those 7 but I'd switch out CCOM for KC. Save yourself the 75k in tuition. You don't need to apply terribly broadly for DO as you have great stats

Reactions: 1 user