DO school or Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bestindawest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to SDN. I have been a long time "observer" however, haha.

What are my chances for a DO school this cycle? I also am considering on applying to the UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences program for the entering class of 2016 (next year) if I don't get accepted to a med school this cycle. I wanted to know what you all though about my chances of being admitted for each.

School: UT Austin McCombs School of Business
cGPA: 3.33
sGPA: 3.34
MCAT 2015 Preliminary Percentile Rank (I took the June 19th MCAT):
  • C/P: 74-89%
  • CARS: 28-43% (my best section in all of the practice tests - super strange)
  • Bio: 49-64%
  • Psy/Soc: 38-53%
  • Overall: 44%-54% (499-501?) (24-26?)
Great rec letters, 100+ hrs of clinical shadowing experience, unique research experience (worked on patent for new pharma development), 100+ clinical volunteer experience, lots of poverty volunteer experience, assisted professor with creation of chem 1/2 online video, president of large healthcare student organization on campus, full ride scholarship at UT.

I did really well on a few of my last practice tests (505+). It is disappointing to receive those scores on the MCAT. I know I can do much better. I am planning on retaking the MCAT probably early on in 2016 with a whole new round of studying and EK material.

What about MD schools? I think that I really need to boost my MCAT scores to have a chance though. Ideally, I want to attend a Texas med school, but I would settle with something out of state if it was my only option.

Thanks for your help and I'm happy to finally be a SDN member! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats are not competitive for MD schools. You're OK for some but not all DO schools, (you'd get rejected from mine), but are likely to be OK if you apply broadly, especially targeting the newest schools. I can't recommend LUCOM. Skip CCOM, AZCOM, KCUMB, PCOM Western and the coastal Touros.

If you're boning for that MD degree, acing (> 3.6 GPA) a post-bac/SMP is required, as well as acing the MCAT (> 33 on the old test).