General Admissions & OTCAS Do schools care more about GPA or GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danidoodle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally have my GRE scores and can make decisions about where to apply, but I have a significant disparity between my GPA and GRE scores. My cumulative GPA is a 3.5, my pre-req GPA is a 3.8 and last 60 GPA is about a 3.67. However, my GRE scores are a 162Q and 162V.
Are schools likely to overlook a GPA lower than their averages if my GRE scores are good? Or will having a lower than average GPA have a significant effect on the strength of my application?
I'm not sure if I should focus on applying to schools with stronger or weaker admissions profiles. I don't mind applying to a couple of reach schools, but I want make sure I apply to a variety of schools where I have a reasonable chance of being accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

I finally have my GRE scores and can make decisions about where to apply, but I have a significant disparity between my GPA and GRE scores. My cumulative GPA is a 3.5, my pre-req GPA is a 3.8 and last 60 GPA is about a 3.67. However, my GRE scores are a 162Q and 162V.
Are schools likely to overlook a GPA lower than their averages if my GRE scores are good? Or will having a lower than average GPA have a significant effect on the strength of my application?
I'm not sure if I should focus on applying to schools with stronger or weaker admissions profiles. I don't mind applying to a couple of reach schools, but I want make sure I apply to a variety of schools where I have a reasonable chance of being accepted.
Most schools have a rating system. My school had a point system to determine eligibility based on all factors. Some are nice enough to give a breakdown of how they weigh each (GPA, GRE, Prerequisite GPA, experiences, letters of rec, interview (if applicable)

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPA and GRE are good. Writing score matters too. Just make sure your LOR, essay, and observation hours are there and you're good to go.

Reactions: 1 user