Do Schools Know if You have Been Accepted by Other Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

theone1979

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was curious about this:

When I go in and interview at schools, are they aware of whether or not I have already been accepted elsewhere, and if so, do they know which schools have accepted/waitlisted me?
 
I was curious about this:

When I go in and interview at schools, are they aware of whether or not I have already been accepted elsewhere, and if so, do they know which schools have accepted/waitlisted me?

I think they know only if you tell them. When I went to interviews they always asked me so I assume they don't know. Because if they knew, they wouldn't ask , right?
 
I think they know only if you tell them. When I went to interviews they always asked me so I assume they don't know. Because if they knew, they wouldn't ask , right?

More importantly, schools dont have the right to information regarding if you applied to other schools unless maybe its a satellite campus. Even those schools dont know.

On top of that (in case people dont believe what I said above), I 100% guarantee ADCOMS dont have the time to contact other schools for every single applicant to see where they applied.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was curious about this:

When I go in and interview at schools, are they aware of whether or not I have already been accepted elsewhere, and if so, do they know which schools have accepted/waitlisted me?



Well the ADCOM member who just said no is probably not an ADCOM member in Texas. I know for a fact Texas schools know who offered you acceptances because my PI wanted to go recommend me for an interview at the school I do research for and he looked up my file (he's adcom) and he found out that I was already offered a prematch acceptance.... the issue with that was I hadn't told him yet. 😳