Do schools look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDent02

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like on here that schools only look at sGPA..? EYE was curious if schools look at oGPA as well? EYE have a 3.39 oGPA and a 3.04sGPA, with great LORs, plenty of shadowing and volunteeering hours.. 150+ for each, and a 22 DAT. I’m applying to 15-20 schools but am feeling doubtful. This hit me randomly. The past 2 years my average GPA was a 3.6, and EYE had a bad 1st year.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like on here that schools only look at sGPA..? EYE was curious if schools look at oGPA as well? EYE have a 3.39 oGPA and a 3.04sGPA, with great LORs, plenty of shadowing and volunteeering hours.. 150+ for each, and a 22 DAT. I’m applying to 15-20 schools but am feeling doubtful. This hit me randomly. The past 2 years my average GPA was a 3.6, and EYE had a bad 1st year.
I don’t know about all schools, but some schools have a point system. You receive points for different criteria of your application. For example the oGPA is times by 1 and sGPA is times by 1.5. They then add those scores, interview and what ever else for the final score.

Schools don't only look at one GPA, they just may emphasize one type of GPA (e.g. BCP) more than others. If you have an upward trend, that will also help how favorably your GPA gets looked at.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
EYE am sure everything is taken into account, in my case EYE have a lower overall gpa and higher science because EYE screwed around with my GE's and buckled down and did well in my sciences. EYE can tell you that gpa is significant but adcoms can definitely take a look at the spread and see differences in let's say upward trend or coursework taken etc. EYE think you should be okay, have you applied already? Bit late in the cycle to apply if you haven't yet, but there have been stories of people getting into schools with lower stats and applying much later, so IRIS my case.

We look at everything...seems like OK stats though...with that many schools, should be fine
In your opinion, is everyone REALLY on a level playing field once they get the interview invites, or do the stats still matter even afterwards? I assume if two candidates are liked almost identically then they may resort back to gpa/dat, but idk just speculating...

In your opinion, is everyone REALLY on a level playing field once they get the interview invites, or do the stats still matter even afterwards? I assume if two candidates are liked almost identically then they may resort back to gpa/dat, but idk just speculating...

Depends on when you interview...you guys are "equal" with others we interview on that date....but earlier interview dates vs later ones are weighed a bit differently

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on when you interview...you guys are "equal" with others we interview on that date....but earlier interview dates vs later ones are weighed a bit differently
So earlier interview is more advantageous vs later interview? Does this apply for most schools or just your school?

Gotcha, thanks. Do post dec interviews yield higher acceptance rates? Specifically for someone who ended up applying late

It depends on how competitive your application cycle is. Pre-December interviews yield a higher chance of acceptance, if you interviewed well and are a good fit for the program, because there are a greater number of seats open. Post-December interviews may or may not yield a high acceptance rate, depending on how many offers have been made/seats have been filled in December, as post-December interview invites are extended prior to Dec. 1st.

Also better applicants tend to be interviewed earlier.