Do schools typically overlook a bad freshman year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NewDent02

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think schools overlook a bad freshman year? I’ve been on a strong upward trend since but the highest I’ll be able to get my oGPA to is a 3.3 by the end of this semester. I started with a 2.3.
 
I had a sub 3.0 cGPA my first semester and ended up getting into schools. If you're at a 3.3 cGPA now, you must have worked hard to bring your grades up the last two years, so that's a positive for schools reviewing your application. You can talk about your upward trend at interviews (if you get some) and what spurred you to take school more seriously as well.

A 3.3 cGPA won't hold you back that much provided the rest of your application is above average (DAT scores, volunteering, work, possible research, etc.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a 2.75 my first semester and worked my way up. As long as you put the effort in these next few years you'll be fine.