This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tequilasunrise

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MA resident. Interested in psychiatry. Here are my stats:

-Cumulative GPA: 3.61
-Science GPA: 3.52 (2 W's, retook for A-'s)
-MCAT Scores: 10/6/10, 129/124/127/127, [waiting for scores]
-Research: 12 months linguistics/cognitive neuroscience, 8 month neuropsych with poster presentation, secondary author in a textbook chapter overviewing pediatric psychiatric disorders
-Employment history: mental health counselor on an inpatient psych ward (2014-present), runner/busser in high school+college
-Volunteering (clinical): dementia outpatient unit my senior year of high school (6 hrs/wk); EMT (12-24 hours/month) in college (sophomore-senior year)
-Non-clinical volunteering: youth basketball coach, homeless shelter event organizer
-Physician shadowing: 40 hours orthopedic surgeon, 40 hours hematology/oncology
-4 great LOR's: 2 research, 1 professor, 1 psych ward nurse manager

Given my profile and interest in psychiatry, where should I apply (ideally schools in the east-coast to midwest range)?

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

MA resident. Interested in psychiatry. Here are my stats:

-Cumulative GPA: 3.61
-Science GPA: 3.52 (2 W's, retook for A-'s)
-MCAT Scores: 10/6/10, 129/124/127/127, [waiting for scores]
-Research: 12 months linguistics/cognitive neuroscience, 8 month neuropsych with poster presentation, secondary author in a textbook chapter overviewing pediatric psychiatric disorders
-Employment history: mental health counselor on an inpatient psych ward (2014-present), runner/busser in high school+college
-Volunteering (clinical): dementia outpatient unit my senior year of high school (6 hrs/wk); EMT (12-24 hours/month) in college (sophomore-senior year)
-Non-clinical volunteering: youth basketball coach, homeless shelter event organizer
-Physician shadowing: 40 hours orthopedic surgeon, 40 hours hematology/oncology
-4 great LOR's: 2 research, 1 professor, 1 psych ward nurse manager

Given my profile and interest in psychiatry, where should I apply (ideally schools in the east-coast to midwest range)?

Thank you!!!

The 507 was a good score didn't need to retake the MCAT a third time. If it goes down that will be a problem. However, as it stands here are some schools to consider:

UNECOM
Touro-NY
PCOM (both campuses)
NSUCOM
KCU
DMU
LECOM (Cheap easy secondary, would recommend applying to both campuses)
VCOM

Reactions: 1 users
The 507 was a good score didn't need to retake the MCAT a third time. If it goes down that will be a problem. However, as it stands here are some schools to consider:

UNECOM
Touro-NY
PCOM (both campuses)
NSUCOM
KCU
DMU
LECOM (Cheap easy secondary, would recommend applying to both campuses)
VCOM

Thanks...I opted to retake it because of the CARS (124)...isn't that too low/a warning sign? And if my score were to go down (e.g. 507-->505), will I have ****ed myself over? In such a scenario, what would could I do (retake again, apply as is, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks...I opted to retake it because of the CARS (124)...isn't that too low/a warning sign? And if my score were to go down (e.g. 507-->505), will I have ****ed myself over? In such a scenario, what would could I do (retake again, apply as is, etc.)?

You might be in trouble if the MCAT goes down. The 124 was low but not low enough to preclude you from a DO acceptance. If it goes down to say a 505, do not retake it ever. And apply as is

Reactions: 2 users

To be honest I don't exactly understand the new scores yet. 124 is about a 7 on the old MCAT I think which was low but not terrible if the overall score was good. A 6 and below was when thinks started to get dicey! If you went down to a 505 thats a big red flag unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
You might be in trouble if the MCAT goes down. The 124 was low but not low enough to preclude you from a DO acceptance. If it goes down to say a 505, do not retake it ever. And apply as is

Yep apply as is but broadly if it goes down!

Gah well hopefully it doesn't go down. But even if it does go down a bit, wouldn't the score still be within the range of recent DO matriculants?

Gah well hopefully it doesn't go down. But even if it does go down a bit, wouldn't the score still be within the range of recent DO matriculants?

A 505 would be an ok score the problem is it shows bad judgement to retake and go down. You would still most likely get in but it would make it harder.

A 505 would be an ok score the problem is it shows bad judgement to retake and go down. You would still most likely get in but it would make it harder.

Ah I see. On another note, do you think I'd be competitive for CCOM-Midwestern (ignoring recent MCAT)?

Ah I see. On another note, do you think I'd be competitive for CCOM-Midwestern (ignoring recent MCAT)?

At a 507 that's about a 29/30 so yes you would be its just very expensive so I don't usually recommend it. It's a great school though.