DO students- are you happy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see this everywhere...yet no one can name me a low tier MD school :bored:

Seriously? Off the top of my head: Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, CNU, Loyola..... there are lots of low tier MD schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If it makes you feel better, I wish I was at a higher ranked MD school. Just to recap, there's nothing wrong with going DO and those schools make good doctors. I just think that they serve a purpose, and I wouldn't fit in there. Better?
You poor lost creature. Its about making you feel better, not me.

Seriously? Off the top of my head: Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, CNU, Loyola..... there are lots of low tier MD schools.
You’re implying that Drexel, RFU, and Loyola are bottom of the barrel medical schools...which is so ridiculously inaccurate. No comment on CNU though

Reactions: 6 users
If it makes you feel better, I wish I was at a higher ranked MD school. Just to recap, there's nothing wrong with going DO and those schools make good doctors. I just think that they serve a purpose, and I wouldn't fit in there. Better?
If you were trying to contribute positively to this thread, you failed horribly. You might want to work on your interpersonal skills.

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
I am an upcoming M1, but the physician who was most influential in my decision to pursue medicine is a DO. He is a remarkable physician practicing in an undeserved rural community. To all of those entering DO programs this year, I am honored to serve in the care of humanity alongside each of you.

Reactions: 24 users
You’re implying that Drexel, RFU, and Loyola are bottom of the barrel medical schools...which is so ridiculously inaccurate. No comment on CNU though

Wow.... you all have a seriously skewed misunderstanding of what a tier is lol. There is no such thing as a “bottom of the barrel” medical school (MD) in the US, but there are definitely tiers that exist. There is literally no disputing this.

Reactions: 4 users
Wow.... you all have a seriously skewed misunderstanding of what a tier is lol. There is no such thing as a “bottom of the barrel” medical school (MD) in the US, but there are definitely tiers that exist. There is literally no disputing this.

While I do agree with you about MD tier, most people are referring to tier in the sense of difficulty getting admitted stats wise. Also I would never make a statement " There is literally no disputing this" that's just bad practice.

Would appreciate if you'd delete this, I was catastrophizing and entirely wrong. I'm very happy with where I'm at these days
heads up, your old statements are still quoted in this post.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@bostonstrong95 In an effort to get this back on track, I am absolutely thrilled to start at a DO school. By all accounts, I shouldn't even be here. With the AACOMAS GPA changes, I had one of the lowest GPAs in the country to get in this year. Through luck and hard work, I still made it into a school. I've wanted to be a physician for so many years and fought so hard to climb out of the hole that was my GPA, and to finally be here is the greatest privilege and honor. Being limited from some surgical subspecialties (that I never wanted to do anyway) is such a small price to pay to achieve my dream of becoming a physician.

If you're worried about specific specialties that are out of reach, @Goro made a really nice list that I 100% agree with. Maybe he could help me find it again?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Starting at GA-PCOM in a month. I feel amazing. I'm going to be a doctor.

MD? DO? Who really cares? All I wanted was to be a physician and its finally happening.

I have never been happier in my life.
Just wait until the reality of med school hits you and you realize that you really are at a disadvantage. I too was bright and starry eyed when I was set to begin my MS1 year, but I can tell you that unless you're one of those people who drinks in the DO koolaid you'll be singing a slightly different tune in about 10-11 months. Not all that glitters is gold incoming MS1's

Just wait until the reality of med school hits you and you realize that you really are at a disadvantage. I too was bright and starry eyed when I was set to begin my MS1 year, but I can tell you that unless you're one of those people who drinks in the DO koolaid you'll be singing a slightly different tune in about 10-11 months. Not all that glitters is gold incoming MS1's
Can you elaborate why DOs are at a disadvantage?

While I do agree with you about MD tier, most people are referring to tier in the sense of difficulty getting admitted stats wise. Also I would never make a statement " There is literally no disputing this" that's just bad practice.

And yes, even with that definition there are still low tier MD schools. It is literally non-disputable. That is a fact. There are some things that are facts, and it is completely acceptable to say that. I don't know how you can have an issue with that.

OP I want to point out that not a single one of the above posters is a DO student. It's a bunch of pre-meds who haven't even moved to their respective campuses yet. They still have on the goggles.

Reactions: 1 users
And yes, even with that definition there are still low tier MD schools. It is literally non-disputable. That is a fact. There are some things that are facts, and it is completely acceptable to say that. I don't know how you can have an issue with that.

OP I want to point out that not a single one of the above posters is a DO student. It's a bunch of pre-meds who haven't even moved to their respective campuses yet. They still have on the goggles.
I was accepted MD

I was accepted MD

and that makes you less of a pre-med still because????

If you haven't at least finished one year of DO school I don't know how you can have any insight into OPs questions.

Speak for yourself sweetheart.

Speak for yourself sweetheart.

Lol at all you pre-meds. You guys have no clue about what's in store for you. Someday you'll come begging for advice from people like Ram and I who are placing ourselves in very good positions to match very successfully.

Lol at all you pre-meds. You guys have no clue about what's in store for you. Someday you'll come begging for advice from people like Ram and I who are placing ourselves in very good positions to match very successfully.
I definitely will be hitting you guys up in a year or two. But for now, I'll stay positive about my chances.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I definitely will be hitting you guys up in a year or two. But for now, I'll stay positive about my chances.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Oh definitely stay positive. Make a plan from day 1 of how to get where you want to go. That's the key and a trait I have seen in essentially every competitive residency applicant I know.

Reactions: 2 users
3.96GPA, in the 80th percent MCAT, ridiculously excited at the opportunity to attend a DO school. If circumstances differed, would have I applied MD? Absolutely. Am I upset that this is the way the cards got dealt? Absolutely not. Don’t listen to these internet haters. Find your passion and goal, and pursue it.

Tiers? that's so....USN&WR. These are only important to ignorant, status-obsessed pre-meds (and med school deans).

I think it's better to cluster MD schools into classes, like USN battleships and cruisers. Thus I bin schools into, say, NYU class schools, and Drexel/Albany class schools. One will get a fine education at any of them....from JA Burns to Harvard, from U WA to U Miami.

3.96GPA, in the 80th percent MCAT, ridiculously excited at the opportunity to attend a DO school. If circumstances differed, would have I applied MD? Absolutely. Am I upset that this is the way the cards got dealt? Absolutely not. Don’t listen to these internet haters. Find your passion and goal, and pursue it.
I'm curious as to what sort of circumstances could lead someone with stats better than the average MD accepted student to wind up going to a DO program?

I think it's better to cluster MD schools into classes, like USN battleships and cruisers. Thus I bin schools into, say, NYU class schools, and Drexel/Albany class schools. One will get a fine education at any of them....from JA Burns to Harvard, from U WA to U Miami.

So..... Tiers.....

I'm curious as to what sort of circumstances could lead someone with stats better than the average MD accepted student to wind up going to a DO program?
Sent PM

Last edited:
I don't think most people are on here to set tiers for schools based on quality. I usually reference tiers in regards to the level of stats one would need to be competitive at certain schools.
Some people in this thread are immature while others are just plain bitter. Blanket stating something is unarguable is just poor logic and a sign of a closed mind. I mean lets be realistic and objective but don't be obtuse.
I'm not here to pretend like there isn't a difference between MD/DO. I will take whatever I have earned and whichever opportunity is given to me. Don't be so bitter guys/ girls you are getting a education to become a physician, make the most of it you are blessed and will be successful in life even if your not working plastics in Beverly Hills.

Last edited:
If you dreaded going to LECOM - why did you apply? Dont be a hypocrite

I DREADED in fear of the idea of me going to LECOM, but then I got accepted MD. In all honesty, anyone can get into a DO school if they put in marginal effort. A lot of people at my interview were so stupid. One girl didn't even study for the MCAT. I failed my interview and they accepted me lol. The schools bring in a level of mediocrity MD schools don't tolerate

I don’t :laugh:
I’m petty and I’m proud!

Ironically LECOM in 2017 had the best PMnR match list I have ever seen MD or DO. 1 x john hopkins - 1 x mayo clinic - 2 x northwestern

:beaver: Wow. And with that I’ll take my leave. May we never meet again for residency

Dude what are you even talking about, Goro literally just described tiers. "may we never meet again for residency" :rolleyes: Maybe try not to get railroaded by anatomy before you start riding the high horse lol. None of what I said is even controversial. I never described anything like USNews rankings like Goro tried to make it seem like I did.

I repeat, someday you will be begging someone like me for advice. Hopefully you will have grown a bit by then.

I don't think most people are on here to set tiers for schools based on quality. I usually reference tiers in regards to the level of stats one would need to be competitive at certain schools.
Some people in this thread are immature while others are just plain bitter. Blanket stating something as unarguable is just poor logic and a sign of a closed mind. I mean lets be realistic and objective but don't be obtuse.
I'm not here to pretend like there isn't a difference between MD/DO. I will take whatever I have earned and whichever opportunity is given to me. Don't be so bitter guys/ girls you are getting a education to become a physician, make the most of it you are blessed and will be successful in life even if your not working plastics in Beverly Hills.

lol, so naive. And I haven't even said anything in this thread that is controversial, or even bitter. Cold truth can be irritating sometimes I guess.

I have no idea why you seem to think that there aren't tiers of medical school. They exist. Fact. Get over it. Me stating as such is not poor logic or a "sign of a closed mind." The sky is blue, its unarguable. Tiers of medical school exist, also unarguable. I never said anything about tiers based on quality, you created that strawman on your own.

The funniest part of you guys trying to make me out the bad guy is that I love my school lol

...what has happened to this thread...

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY

Reactions: 10 users
Dude what are you even talking about, Goro literally just described tiers. "may we never meet again for residency" :rolleyes: Maybe try not to get railroaded by anatomy before you start riding the high horse lol. None of what I said is even controversial. I never described anything like USNews rankings like Goro tried to make it seem like I did.

I repeat, someday you will be begging someone like me for advice. Hopefully you will have grown a bit by then.

lol, so naive. And I haven't even said anything in this thread that is controversial, or even bitter. Cold truth can be irritating sometimes I guess.

I have no idea why you seem to think that there aren't tiers of medical school. They exist. Fact. Get over it. Me stating as such is not poor logic or a "sign of a closed mind." The sky is blue, its unarguable. Tiers of medical school exist, also unarguable. I never said anything about tiers based on quality, you created that strawman on your own.

The funniest part of you guys trying to make me out the bad guy is that I love my school lol

If I had to guess I would assume you are a strong student, and I am actually glad that you love your school. Maybe your tone isn't translating well and it seems like you disregard anyone else's opinion because we are "premed" and so too ignorant to even speak. I agree with you often so its not like I mean to attack your character. Lighten up a little and maybe read some philosophy and you wont feel so absolute about such a weak fact as others opinions.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread had a great start and then got twisted.