DO students- are you happy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O wow, that sounds good so its not PBL you just study powerpoints or texts at home? Lecture videos? And then come in for the hands on.
So Erie has it together enough that I wont be setting up my own 3rd and 4th year?
Correct. They give you leaning objectives and you must learn them on your own. You come in for exams and hands on lab type stuff. I didn’t know the lack of importance in regard to lecture and sadly didn’t choose this pathway. Also correct, you won’t need to set up your own rotations other than electives and selectives. Core rotations are set up.

Members don't see this ad.

Correct. They give you leaning objectives and you must learn them on your own. You come in for exams and hands on lab type stuff. I didn’t know the lack of importance in regard to lecture and sadly didn’t choose this pathway. Also correct, you won’t need to set up your own rotations other than electives and selectives. Core rotations are set up.

Thanks a ton! I dont know how I missed all of this.

actually sent in a primary to LECOM-PA and now im unsure about sending in the secondary because with mandatory attendance and I believe I read about issues with clinical rotations I may save my money and apply elsewhere. My stats are strong for DO but Im not sure I should be overconfident.

So Erie has it together enough that I wont be setting up my own 3rd and 4th year?

Nah LECOM-E has their stuff together. Just do DSP as mentioned. Rotations are much better up there compared to Bradenton. It’s at least worth a look, and I think the secondary is literally only a $50 fee lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nah LECOM-E has their stuff together. Just do DSP as mentioned. Rotations are much better up there compared to Bradenton. It’s at least worth a look, and I think the secondary is literally only a $50 fee lol
Yes, the secondary was maybe 5 simple answer questions about demographic type stuff and the fee. Definitely worth it, imo.

Just starting up in a month at VCOM-Carolinas...
I am over the moon excited and happy I will become a doctor, as Goro said - practicing medicine and making plenty of guap

As my name suggests, I would love to do gen surgery, or another specilaity such as endocrinology or neurology, etc.
I am prepared to try hard as hell to make that happen but at the end of the day if I have to go into IM, I will do so and not be upset about it one bit...
Endocrinology and neurology are all doable coming out of a good IM residency, no? Or do you mean an IM residency were there's not really a chance at a fellowship?
Edit: Read "neuro" as "nephro".

Lol at all you pre-meds. You guys have no clue about what's in store for you. Someday you'll come begging for advice from people like Ram and I who are placing ourselves in very good positions to match very successfully.

I literally smiled when I read this. Like big grin.

Last edited:
Endocrinology and neurology are all doable coming out of a good IM residency, no? Or do you mean an IM residency were there's not really a chance at a fellowship?

Endo is doable from any residency, and Neuro is its own residency

Seriously? Off the top of my head: Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, CNU, Loyola..... there are lots of low tier MD schools.
does that mean they accept more students than other md schools? any ones in NY OR NJ

Lol he was talking about ease of landing a residency, not saying that a peds residency is easier than EM.

Your opinion is still wrong, and that google search you say isn’t as good as the opinions you’ve been told is actually infinitely better because it shows you the credentials of the peds-EM docs at these large academic pediatric centers.

There are many many reasons that peds—> EM could be a better route than EM—> Peds.

Can confirm this is what I meant.

Reactions: 1 user
Surgical? What kind?
What did you feel was the reason you got into surgery through the osteopathic route?
In what ways do you think it would have been easier thru the MD route?

Thanks

Neurosurgery.

I knew I wanted surgery from day 1. I studied hard and got good board scores. I started networking during first year of medical school and got good letters of rec for residency.

Reactions: 11 users
This thread is quite comical. OP asked a question that could, in my opinion be easily answered- direct to the point. I came here to read anecdotes and get a sense of how people were finding DO schools, and instead I just finished reading senseless arguments and irrelevant banter. Well done!

Reactions: 10 users
This thread is quite comical. OP asked a question that could, in my opinion be easily answered- direct to the point. I came here to read anecdotes and get a sense of how people were finding DO schools, and instead I just finished reading senseless arguments and irrelevant banter. Well done!

I agree, I thought it would be a helpful thread

Members don't see this ad :)
No regrets, only great pride and joy in earning my D.O, and representing osteopathic principles and philosophy in the military.

I recommend either putting a lot on credit card or asking mom/dad for a small loan or take out a special loan at the end of undergrad that is specially for applications and interviews —- apply to as many DO schools as you can/

Neurosurgery.

I knew I wanted surgery from day 1. I studied hard and got good board scores. I started networking during first year of medical school and got good letters of rec for residency.
But did you match ACGME or AOA?
I'm not saying matching AOA is easy at all I'm just saying being a DO won't hurt you in those matches- but if MD's are competing for AOA spots with DO's well then it may not be doable to do nuerosug now.

I'm not saying matching AOA is easy at all I'm just saying being a DO won't hurt you in those matches- but if MD's are competing for AOA spots with DO's well then it may not be doable to do nuerosug now.

3 DOs matched ACGME neurosurgery this year. That guy’s program was already ACGME accredited when he matched

Reactions: 3 users
No. But I think MD or DO I’d be pretty unhappy in med school. I’d probably be less unhappy at an MD program.

Not due to being a self-hating DO or anything. I’d just probably like to avoid the mandatory 4 hrs/week of omm, being viewed as an inferior residency applicant bc of my school, having more board exams, and the fact that barring rare exceptions a DO degree is usually significantly more expensive than an MD. All of this for me has been a recipe for frustration tbh.

Reactions: 8 users
No. But I think MD or DO I’d be pretty unhappy in med school. I’d probably be less unhappy at an MD program.

Not due to being a self-hating DO or anything. I’d just probably like to avoid the mandatory 4 hrs/week of omm, being viewed as an inferior residency applicant bc of my school, having more board exams, and the fact that barring rare exceptions a DO degree is usually significantly more expensive than an MD. All of this for me has been a recipe for frustration tbh.

If you don't mind answering, what school do you go to?

If you don't mind answering, what school do you go to?
I’ll answer in pm to anyone that is curious. But the things I’ve listed are not unique to my school (although some have way less omm).

Edit: can’t pm you for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I've been debating whether or not I would like to go to DO school and how many DO schools I should apply to. I just wanted to see from current or past DO students- are you happy with your decision to go to DO school? What are your experiences with your specific school so far?

Thanks guys!

I'm a DO. I did well in school, got high board scores, applied to 60ish anesthesiology residencies, got 40 invites, matched my #2, later I applied to about 7 fellowship and matched my #1. I don't think being an MD would have changed too much for me, but, if you're not aware, anesthesiology is pretty DO friendly.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm a DO. I did well in school, got high board scores, applied to 60ish anesthesiology residencies, got 40 invites, matched my #2, later I applied to about 7 fellowship and matched my #1. I don't think being an MD would have changed too much for me, but, if you're not aware, anesthesiology is pretty DO friendly.

I'm actually really interested in anesthesiology so that's great to hear- thanks!

Rising 2nd year here at an average DO school according to SDN standards. I would say I'm happy to be a future doctor. Certain days I'm thankful to be a DO and other days I wonder how much easier life could've been if I went to an MD school.

Certain days I get frustrated because it feels like I'm pounding sand or chopping trees with a dull axe. There are times I feel like professors are making concepts overtly complicated for no reason but thats probably normal for most medical schools. We have professors that hate the popular board resources (Pathoma, sketchy, B&B) but I've got to the point where I focus on these resources then utilize class resources as a supplement. Can't believe how many times I would have trouble with a subject only to realize later when I had to review it (3-6 months later) the concept was pretty simple or had a simple way to remember it.

Other days, I have a chance to talk to practicing DOs, MDs and realize that being a DO is my calling. I had a drunk convo with 4 ICU RN friends of mine. I am between 1st and 2nd year and the only system I've covered is Neuro. My pathology base was profoundly greater and I realized I loved the nonsense little details more than my friends. They are more focused on treatment and I loved the why behind a lot of disease.

This is probably everyone's experience. Certain days I'm thankful to be in this position and other days I forget how lucky I am to be here.

Rising 2nd year here at an average DO school according to SDN standards. I would say I'm happy to be a future doctor. Certain days I'm thankful to be a DO and other days I wonder how much easier life could've been if I went to an MD school.

Certain days I get frustrated because it feels like I'm pounding sand or chopping trees with a dull axe. There are times I feel like professors are making concepts overtly complicated for no reason but thats probably normal for most medical schools. We have professors that hate the popular board resources (Pathoma, sketchy, B&B) but I've got to the point where I focus on these resources then utilize class resources as a supplement. Can't believe how many times I would have trouble with a subject only to realize later when I had to review it (3-6 months later) the concept was pretty simple or had a simple way to remember it.

Other days, I have a chance to talk to practicing DOs, MDs and realize that being a DO is my calling. I had a drunk convo with 4 ICU RN friends of mine. I am between 1st and 2nd year and the only system I've covered is Neuro. My pathology base was profoundly greater and I realized I loved the nonsense little details more than my friends. They are more focused on treatment and I loved the why behind a lot of disease.

This is probably everyone's experience. Certain days I'm thankful to be in this position and other days I forget how lucky I am to be here.
Your username :rofl:
The bolded made me smile. I love that there are people who are happy as DO's ( as in, appreciate what makes DO unique) , even though overall MD may make your life easier.

Reactions: 2 users

Wow, great post and quality input. You sound like You are going to be a great doc.

Reactions: 4 users
5EDB26C2-04B0-4A76-A1CE-E0D3657D78F7.png
We have professors that hate the popular board resources (Pathoma, sketchy, B&B)

Reactions: 6 users
Your username :rofl:
The bolded made me smile. I love that there are people who are happy as DO's ( as in, appreciate what makes DO unique) , even though overall MD may make your life easier.

Personally, I feel like its not osteopathic medicine but the people that are DOs that make it unique. Most DOs are non-traditional (like me). They had life hurdles and obstacles that prevented them from becoming an MD. Then their pursuit to help others overcame their need for the MD title. Theres always outliers to this (people with DOs in their family, etc) to this but this has been my impression.

I'm not waving the A.T. Still banner but when you are going through DO school you kinda get a sense of camraderie with practicing DOs and DO students. They understand the nonsense hurdles you are going through. The people that think you are a "fake doctor". The "academics" that doubt your academic rigor or intelligence. The time suck that is OMM.

I had an funny conversation with a microbiology professor about sketchy last month. His argument was "Its much easier to memorize it from self-made tables then a cartoon". I laughed. So now whenever he asks me a question he always first says "Well what does sketchy say?"

It’s insane how stubborn some profs can be. Can’t admit when the archaic methods of learning are not the best way to do so.

It’s insane how stubborn some profs can be. Can’t admit when the archaic methods of learning are not the best way to do so.

Agreed I had another professor last month get mad about people skipping class (We have non mandatory lectures). He couldn't fathom how we could learn better listening to his voice on 2 speed.

He has a point for certain lectures. There are visual learners that retain info better in this manner but class for some is pointless. You won't know you are that type of person until you go to class consistently for an entire test block.

I'm starting realize that its important to listen to everybody's advice regarding anything from boards, school, life but at the end of the day make the decision myself. Sometimes these "archaic" or outdated methods can be effective. I'm never to good to take advice from some of these guys.

Everyone is supposedly an "expert" but you are the one that has to live with your decisions.

What is happiness? Objectively, my life is excellent and I am happy overall. I have a life to envy, frankly. It would be even better if I was not at a DO school... The framing of your question isn't very helpful or nuanced. Everyone that is ambitious and hasn't been living in the sand knows DO school is a pain in the ass compared to MD school, but happiness is best identified internally so you are going to get a lot of people who will say they are happy because they are one of the ones who made it out and into (competitive specialty) and have good attitudes/internal locus of control. These people, like myself, will be happy most places working hard.

I think most everyone at my school got what they wanted for a specialty. One that didn’t get ent scrambled into radiology and he’s happy. I didn’t get a spot in ortho and neither did one other classmate, but he’s in pulm/crit and happy and I’m in cardiology and love it so just work hard and be flexible. You’ll get a great spot doing something you’ll enjoy and can be proud of.

Reactions: 5 users
Didn't like my first two years. Enjoyed my last two despite some sketchy training sites the school has. Overall happy to be a doctor. No regerts!

Reactions: 7 users

Yes, it is difficult to match neurosurgery as a DO...still possible nonetheless.

With that said, I think I still would have been happy had I matched outside of neurosurgery.

I love neurosurgery; I have a great job and thoroughly enjoy what I do and the patients I care for. In my experience, however, I have found that happiness and life satisfaction do not solely come from career. As premedical students and medical students, it is easy to fall into the trap of, "once I get into this medical school, I will then be happy" or "once I match into this specialty or that residency or this state, I will be happy." I was guilty of it as a premedical and medical student, and I have come to find that my medical career alone does not fulfill me. It was a little depressing figuring this out during my intern year...especially since I glorified it all these years.

While you can enjoy your career and have a good time at work, I do not think a career in medicine can fully satisfy most people. It's important to not rely on your career as your one source of happiness, and it's also important to not delay happiness for your career. I missed out on a lot of life events as a medical student because I was hyper focused on my career and future as a neurosurgeon. I regret that.

Please enjoy your hobbies. Enjoy your family and your friends. If you do not match your number one residency or even specialty, you can still be happy and satisfied with life. I can tell you from personal experience that a career in medicine will not fully satisfy you and should not be the only thing that motivates you in life.

Reactions: 11 users
CMU med is def lower tier MD - they are new and it's better going to MSUCOM over them IMO (MI resident example)
No it is not. All US MD schools have an advantage come time for residency applications over any and all DO schools. You can get a great education at msucom and become a great physician, but you definitely have more options as a US MD. Not trying to start md vs do, but this needs to be made very clear to any pre-meds reading this.

Edit: although you’re most likely correct in that it is “low tier”.

Reactions: 3 users
CMU med is def lower tier MD - they are new and it's better going to MSUCOM over them IMO (MI resident example)

Depends what you mean, this is a common thing said around the pre-med/med student community in MI. I'll discuss COM, WMU, CHM and CMU since its what i hear brought up most frequently, I think it's pretty well solidified that OUWB, WSU, and UM are the top dogs in MI. The only objective way I can break this down by since i dont attend all these schools is via hospital ranking (notice USnews can be a garbage metric but its all i have) and NIH funding. COM #4,#7, #15, 30+other hospitals, NIH 7.5mil. With regards to WMU, Bronson Hospital is like #8, NIH unlisted for last year. CMU has Covenant health and St Marys of Michigan, both unranked, NIH 750k. CHM NIH funding 20ish Mil and has spectrum butterworth which is like the 3rd best hospital in MI behind Beaumont Royal Oak and UM and right ahead of DMC harper(WSU)(according to US news). This is just speaking about clinical sites and research funding though, and there's a lot more to consider than just that.

But the matter of fact is the MD degree helps a lot more in the match, especially outside of the state of MI, and its literally mostly because of those two letters in this case IMO.

Personally, I feel like its not osteopathic medicine but the people that are DOs that make it unique. Most DOs are non-traditional (like me). They had life hurdles and obstacles that prevented them from becoming an MD. Then their pursuit to help others overcame their need for the MD title.

This. I graduated from a DO medical school, and my fellow classmates are what made me love the school most. They were all unique and didn't fit some cookie-cutter path to get to where they were. It made conversations interested, being able to partake in the experiences they've been through. I think I tend to love non-traditional people in any sense, medicine or not.

In response to the OP, I don't regret going DO one bit. No matter what opinion the rest of the medical community has for DOs, one thing remains: it's what you do with what you've been dealt. If you want to be a doctor that badly, you take whatever route necessary. Did it make things a bit more difficult? Yes. So work harder. Medicine in general is hard work and don't hope to always take an easy way out of things. Yes, there were many days I hated my school, but everyone has those days. It's not like the 4 years are going to be peachy regardless.

I just finished Internal Medicine residency a few weeks ago. I got to where I wanted to be, and I'm a chief resident now. My co-residents came from all different backgrounds. There were MDs who were incredibly lazy and had the worst personalities. There were DOs and IMGs that had the best bedside skills and worked hard every day. One of the IMGs matched into Stanford's pulm crit program - because she worked hard. Their title didn't mean a thing. So whatever school you go to, stop worrying about what the others think. You'll have a chip on your shoulder because things are going to be more difficult for you, I'm not going to lie about that. Just overcome them.

Reactions: 6 users
Honestly, more doors are open to you as an MD, there is no way around that.
Nevertheless it’s what you put into your education. At the end of the day, it’s what you can do for your patients and not what your title is.

That being said, no regrets raise 10 cigarettes. (House reference)

I'm pretty happy at my school, but damn... step/comlex looming over us soon and those OMM exams/practicals are going to eat up my/our time. This is my biggest complaint entering second year. I don't care what my title is and actually appreciate the extra palpation skills I received in OMM.

Although I have been graciously accepted to DMU, I still feel a bit stressed because I'm still on waitlists for other MD schools and my parents are still hounding me about them. The constant pressures from my parents and the ever-looming DO discrimination make me consider a lot of "what ifs" or "what happened" in my application cycle (I had a 3.9 GPA and 515 MCAT with multiple clinical and nonclinical extracurricular activities). Maybe I just have too much time on my hand right now to think, and I need school to start and show me that I'll be okay.

Although I have been graciously accepted to DMU, I still feel a bit stressed because I'm still on waitlists for other MD schools and my parents are still hounding me about them. The constant pressures from my parents and the ever-looming DO discrimination make me consider a lot of "what ifs" or "what happened" in my application cycle (I had a 3.9 GPA and 515 MCAT with multiple clinical and nonclinical extracurricular activities). Maybe I just have too much time on my hand right now to think, and I need school to start and show me that I'll be okay.
That is....stressful. I still think you would be fine though, because someone who carries that tenacity going into a DO program opens more doors for themselves.

Just curious, has anything changed? I think I am content going DO thus far, but I have a friend who is applying DO almost reluctantly. I fear that if he does get accepted he will become self loathing. Has anyone noticed changes in people's attitudes like this or vice versa since starting DO school?

Just curious, has anything changed? I think I am content going DO thus far, but I have a friend who is applying DO almost reluctantly. I fear that if he does get accepted he will become self loathing. Has anyone noticed changes in people's attitudes like this or vice versa since starting DO school?

Usually the ones that are self hating stay that way or get worse in my experience. I know of one that has come to peace with it but I believe it’s because they ended up liking a DO friendly specialty anyways

Usually the ones that are self hating stay that way or get worse in my experience. I know of one that has come to peace with it but I believe it’s because they ended up liking a DO friendly specialty anyways

That's unfortunate. I guess people in these situations should not apply DO then. It seems like they would be happier to wait another year to try to gain an MD acceptance. Thank you for your insight!

That's unfortunate. I guess people in these situations should not apply DO then. It seems like they would be happier to wait another year to try to gain an MD acceptance. Thank you for your insight!
We’re all learning the same thing. The only reasons you should pick DO over MD is 1: if it’s a lower price or 2: if you’re aiming for a specific non-primary care specialty. I have literally seen people turn down FULL 4-YEAR SCHOLARSHIPS at DO schools, just to go to a $65k/yr MD school. All I can do is laugh. A doctor is a doctor, but $200k of debt vs $0 of debt is definitely not equal

We’re all learning the same thing. The only reasons you should pick DO over MD is 1: if it’s a lower price or 2: if you’re aiming for a specific non-primary care specialty. I have literally seen people turn down FULL 4-YEAR SCHOLARSHIPS at DO schools, just to go to a $65k/yr MD school. All I can do is laugh. A doctor is a doctor, but $200k of debt vs $0 of debt is definitely not equal
Id deal with the extra debt to not have to take two licensing exams and all the other stuff. Just my two cents. At my school there is several who turned down MDs. I think they are bananas but it's my opinion

Id deal with the extra debt to not have to take two licensing exams and all the other stuff. Just my two cents. At my school there is several who turned down MDs. I think they are bananas but it's my opinion
Now, you just gotta put 2 licensing board exams and $300K in the balance and see which one weighs more by the time you graduate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Worth it.

Depends. I would say for freedom of choice sure, but if you legit ended up in PC specialties because that’s what you were interested in then nah. People just have to be introspective in their desires when handed that much money in scholarships.