DO students- are you happy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My experience is that those whom walked in with a chip on their shoulder are still carrying it around 4th year. I’ll let you know if it dissolves after match day.
Self-hating DO students are a very real thing. They also make life miserable for my OMM colleagues. They knew what they were getting into.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm happy for sure, especially loving third year compared to 1st and 2nd.

TBH You can be happy or miserable at any medical school, it really depends on your outlook. I'm thankful every day that I got into medical school and have this opportunity.

Reactions: 9 users
Self-hating DO students are a very real thing. They also make life miserable for my OMM colleagues. They knew what they were getting into.

It's funny, being "self-hating" is a personal choice that it completely subjective. I find that students that fall in this category are surprised why more of their classmates don't feel the same way; as if it's mandatory to feel like crap that you're a DO.

In my mind, if you have the potential to make the same salary as an MD, then who gives a damn?
It's not like MD's have more rights than DO's anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's funny, being "self-hating" is a personal choice that it completely subjective. I find that students that fall in this category are surprised why more of their classmates don't feel the same way; as if it's mandatory to feel like crap that you're a DO.

In my mind, if you have the potential to make the same salary as an MD, then who gives a damn?
It's not like MD's have more rights than DO's anyway.

Outside of the U.S. they do

Last edited:
because I have never felt so accomplished yet so dissapointed at the same time. time will heal wounds
I get sad hearing students talk like this. You choose to be an osteopathic physician and get the notion you get sub par training. Anatomy is anatomy, path is path, micro is micro. If you have read other posts you will learn that tje MD students complaints are very similar.
Hearing students choose to go to DO school and then complain about taking OMM also makes me sad. Maybe would have been better to take that gap year and go elsewhere.
As far as some psychological impact of training in a sea of MDs? I'm that guy. I trained where 99.8% of the physicians were MDs. Training in that environment really really makes you be on your game. The last thing I ever wanted to say was "I dont know". It made me prepare for each day on topics specific to our patients, and prepare for conferences and journal club. I spent half my career teaching MD students residents and fellows. I can say with complete confidence that I was always judged on my merits and abilities and not by the letters behind my name. So dont curl up in a ball because you have some additional obstacles in front of you. Learn the game, commit to excellence. Find out what it takes to become a competetive applicant and make it happen. There are plenty of people on this network to help you with the nuts and bolts of matching successfully
Good luck and best wishes.

Reactions: 18 users
Love med school at my DO school (RowanSOM). Only thing id say is a down side is that the school pushes us HARD to take COMLEX but thats expected since its a DO school. As far as prepping me for Step my school does nothing so thats on me. OMM sucks but I also signed up for that so putting up with it for two yrs is a heck of a lot better than having to retake the MCAT and jeopardize my chances of becoming a physician by passing up a med school acceptance. For all of you OMM haters including myself think of it that way: you are dang lucky to be accepted to med school let me tell you so put up with it for 2 yrs and think of it as a functional anatomy class even if you braindump everything else. You are getting more functional anatomy exposure than MD school so if Sports med, PMR or ortho is your goal it cant hurt. Overall cant complain.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For all of you OMM haters including myself think of it that way: you are dang lucky to be accepted to med school let me tell you so put up with it for 2 yrs and think of it as a functional anatomy class even if you braindump everything else. You are getting more functional anatomy exposure than MD school so if Sports med, PMR or ortho is your goal it cant hurt. Overall cant complain.
The way I like to put is to suspend your disbelief and try to learn something useful, and/or consider OMM/OMT classes to be a tax for your F'ing up your GPA and/or MCAT.

Reactions: 5 users
Love med school at my DO school (RowanSOM). Only thing id say is a down side is that the school pushes us HARD to take COMLEX but thats expected since its a DO school. As far as prepping me for Step my school does nothing so thats on me. OMM sucks but I also signed up for that so putting up with it for two yrs is a heck of a lot better than having to retake the MCAT and jeopardize my chances of becoming a physician by passing up a med school acceptance. For all of you OMM haters including myself think of it that way: you are dang lucky to be accepted to med school let me tell you so put up with it for 2 yrs and think of it as a functional anatomy class even if you braindump everything else. You are getting more functional anatomy exposure than MD school so if Sports med, PMR or ortho is your goal it cant hurt. Overall cant complain.

You are a chiro going back for DO. How can you hate OMM? It’s the same stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
You are a chiro going back for DO. How can you hate OMM? It’s the same stuff.
You are correct it is the same stuff and thus if i liked it i wouldnt have left chiro. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I would never in a million years recommend anyone in undergrad to pursue a career in chiropractic. Very expensive schooling with absolutely zero return on investment. I would have gone MD if i had the MCAT but hey i cant complain im very grateful to be in med school!

Last edited:
You are correct it is the same stuff and thus if i liked it i wouldnt have left chiro. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I would never in a million years recommend anyone in undergrad to pursue a career in chiropractic. Very expensive schooling with absolutely zero return on investment. I would have gone MD if i had the MCAT but hey i cant complain im very grateful to be in med school!

Understandable. Are you going to go by DO, DC or drop the DC?

Understandable. Are you going to go by DO, DC or drop the DC?
I am not sure but I know I will only be able to have one license active at a time so you can probably guess which one that will be lol. I also am not sure if that would hurt me or not to have the DC added to my credentials. In residency i probs wont because i could see it being looked down upon. The one good thing with which the DC has helped is my MSK knowledge but i dont see it being of much help/any use as i dont see myself pursuing PMR Ortho or Sports med. If i were pursuing those id probs keep the DC. Likely see myself pursuing IM subspecialty but we will see

One of the "research shows" slides from my OMM lectures mentioned something about somatic dysfunctions in rats being treated by a DO..

I mean, a little less rat somatic dysfunction would be nice. But overall I can't complain.

One of the "research shows" slides from my OMM lectures mentioned something about somatic dysfunctions in rats being treated by a DO..

I mean, a little less rat somatic dysfunction would be nice. But overall I can't complain.

How exactly do they know it’s working. It’s a subjective “better”

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure if thats true. The OMM departments generally seem to turn students off from the entire idea. Also, no one could have imagined some of the crazy nonsense that they try to convince us without any research backing "because they just know it's true". Ive seen many students come in with an open mind and had it quickly change. They actually wanted to believe, but the department literally makes it nearly impossible.

Edit: Im referring to the portion about the OMM colleagues and knowing what we were getting into.

I'm not sure if thats true. The OMM departments generally seem to turn students off from the entire idea. Also, no one could have imagined some of the crazy nonsense that they try to convince us without any research backing "because they just know it's true". Ive seen many students come in with an open mind and had it quickly change. They actually wanted to believe, but the department literally makes it nearly impossible.

Edit: Im referring to the portion about the OMM colleagues and knowing what we were getting into.
Oh, I can understand the turn-off by the True Believers, but I'm reporting to you what has been told to us Faculty by our own school's therapists. There are definitely students angry that they had to "settle" for DO. One of the things I'm on the lookout for in Adcom meetings are candidates who will make life miserable for my OMM colleagues.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, I can understand the turn-off by the True Believers, but I'm reporting to you what has been told to us Faculty by our own school's therapists. There are definitely students angry that they had to "settle" for DO. One of the things I'm on the lookout for in Adcom meetings are candidates who will make life miserable for my OMM colleagues.
Yeah, that makes sense! I see that as well. It's apparent in those students attitude.

Should your therapists be telling you that? We are already afraid that we can’t go to administration for fear of repercussions and now we can’t even go to the school offered therapists because it’ll be leaked to the administration.

Should your therapists be telling you that? We are already afraid that we can’t go to administration for fear of repercussions and now we can’t even go to the school offered therapists because it’ll be leaked to the administration.
Oh fer crying out loud, they don't tell us who the students are~!!!@!!!!!!!

They tell us what mental health issues our student face (stress, anxiety and depression being the big three, no surprise) , and how we as faculty can help them.