do students squat at any other med. schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
at Ross university, i don't think that we have any good traditions.

we have one bad tradition that continues to live. students squat, they pick a spot in the libary, and leave their stuffs on the table for hours or even days. they just come and go as they wish. the school doesn't do anything about it.

i have seen some new first semester students are picking up really quick. some of them even stick their study notes on the wall as if they owe that particular spot for the rest of the semesters.

that is so selfish. and i never squat. i have no need to. i don't understand why those who do that. they are not gonna take that spot with them when they leave.

when i was in my undergrad, no one squats. and there are always notice telling people that be sure to look after your own stuff, because someone else might take it, etc.

i wonder what kind of good or bad traditions that other schools may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, we've definitely got the squatters at SGU and our adminstration prefers to take a passive approach as well. If you're looking for an easy (if slightly confrontational) solution, this may work for you. Most schools have some sort of rule against this behavior. If you notice someone squatting in a library when there really is no other space, just wait for them to leave, and transfer their belongings to lost and found. Nobody leaves anything valuable, anyway. When they return, just explain that you believed the items to have been forgotten. Since you are now in the room with your belongings, so long as they havent' actually reserved the room the problem is pretty much solved. Considering they were violating policy to begin with it's unlikely their complaints will work.

AUC isn't too bad for squatting since we have more than enough spots to study (most people study at home and we also have 4-5 different study areas). Sure there are those that "squat" the best chairs(swivel ones) and the nice seat cushions but otherwise, it isn't that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have visited different colleges in the USA, i have never seen people squatting at those places ever. most of the time, i see notices warning people about possible thieves, etc.

how come squatting seems to be a problem at the big 3? maybe it is due to the abundant selfish students.

i think that we have enough places to study, too. however, i don't know why people continue to squat. and we don't have lost and found bin or anything. the school forces rules on not eatting or drinking in some classrooms, but even those rules are not followed. people drink, eat all the time.

I believe a savage beatdown is in order???? Then they can squat in their wheelchair till the cows come home.

stony brook got some squatters but theres plenty of space in the library to squat around...

Well here on Saba,

The admin are fighting against the squaters, the people that work in the library patrol the lib every thirty minutes and if the spot is left unattended for more then 30 min on a non-exam day, they will remove their materials and put it on the shelves near the entrance.

It seems to be working, but at the same time this has been the first semester that they have imposed this policy.

oh well we'll see what happens in the long run,
R

radboy710 said:
Well here on Saba,

The admin are fighting against the squaters, the people that work in the library patrol the lib every thirty minutes and if the spot is left unattended for more then 30 min on a non-exam day, they will remove their materials and put it on the shelves near the entrance.

It seems to be working, but at the same time this has been the first semester that they have imposed this policy.

R

How do you like saba so far? Any regrets or complaints you would like to share for those currently researching the carribean schools?

kingalls said:
Yes, we've definitely got the squatters at SGU and our adminstration prefers to take a passive approach as well. If you're looking for an easy (if slightly confrontational) solution, this may work for you. Most schools have some sort of rule against this behavior. If you notice someone squatting in a library when there really is no other space, just wait for them to leave, and transfer their belongings to lost and found. Nobody leaves anything valuable, anyway. When they return, just explain that you believed the items to have been forgotten. Since you are now in the room with your belongings, so long as they havent' actually reserved the room the problem is pretty much solved. Considering they were violating policy to begin with it's unlikely their complaints will work.
I totally agree. Except I would change "lost and found" to "trash bin" and claim I never saw any stuff. It really gets people's attention when they lose a $70 book.

That is very nice of Saba. the attitude from the ross administration is "students creat the problem, therefore, you students should deal among yourselves."

i am sure that none of US med. schools have the squatting problem. if anyone does that, the schools probably will deal with it right away.

radboy710 said:
Well here on Saba,

R

That is very nice of Saba. the attitude from the ross administration is
"students creat the problem, therefore, you students should deal among
yourselves."

i am sure that none of US med. schools have the squatting problem. if
anyone does that, the schools probably will deal with it right away.

this is really a small problem, but the school doesn't want to solve it.