Do U Need Or Have To Have A Bachelors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you have to get a bachelors degree before you start med school. I am planning on applying to med school this year and just wondering if I do not get a few of my classes done , would it be ok for med school. I checked on a few websites and the med school says that you just have to complete something like 90 hours or so??? thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't really need a bachelor's, but almost everyone has one. Are you saying should you have classes done by the time you apply or by the time you matriculate? I think most people usually like to have a degree to show for 4 years of their life.

If you are enrolled in a degree program at the time you are offered admission to medical school, then schools generally expect you to complete the degree before you matriculate to the medical school. I suspect that most of those "90 hours" policies were written to cover students in the formal BS/MD programs that shunt students to med school after 3 years as undergrads. A college drop-out is not a good prospect for admission to med school and failure to complete your BS or BA after being admitted to med school MAY be grounds for withdrawal of the offer of admission. (Med schools don't want to be blamed for screwing with graduation rates at undergraduate institutions.)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are enrolled in a degree program at the time you are offered admission to medical school, then schools generally expect you to complete the degree before you matriculate to the medical school.

Except in the case where you are doing a post-bacc and already have a degree. I only had one school (Tulane) that had a problem with me not finishing my second B.S. degree, and the rest only required that you have the first bachelors degree to satisfy their requirements.

LizzyM: does your school require that post-baccs finish their second degree?

Except in the case where you are doing a post-bacc and already have a degree. I only had one school (Tulane) that had a problem with me not finishing my second B.S. degree, and the rest only required that you have the first bachelors degree to satisfy their requirements.

LizzyM: does your school require that post-baccs finish their second degree?

I wasn't aware that a post-bacc was a second degree. I thought that it was just a non-degree program (or courses taken as a non-degree student) to make up pre-reqs missing from the undergrad program of study.

Two of my buddies got into med school after only three years but one had a 4.0 and a 31 MCAT and the other had a 3.8 and a 33. I know that 31 isn't 'amazing' but they both went to Loma Linda and their average MCAT is like a 28. The fact that they are SDAs was probably the main reason though.