DO vs. Caribbean MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Skip Intro,
My compliments to you sir for a reasoned, well constructed argument. I confess that I have not followed this thread from the beginning, but came in at a point somewhat later. Nevertheless, I am sticking to my guns and disagree with you on several points. I will outline them briefly here:

1) I do not as a rule believe that Caribbean training is on the same level as American medical training. If it were it would be both more popular and compelling for more US students. Secondly, if the preliminary training (i.e. years 1 and 2) were really as good as they are in the US, then there would be no purpose or rationale for a fifth semester to shore up basic sciences in order to pass the USMLE. I agree with you that in the long run that medical fact memorization has little to do with medical training, we must nevertheless consider that our standard is board passage. And for extra time necessary to pass the boards, it is an indication of weaker preclinical training.
I admit that I know little about foreign non-Caribbean medical training. I state here and now that I have nothing against foreign doctors, but there is a reason why so many physicians want to come to the states. Is there any similarity in number of American physicians wishing to go overseas and train after a US medical education?? I dont see it in my limited experience. If I am mistaken, please fill me in.

2) It is true that some physicians are well trained, others are not regardless of location of training. However, I believe that there is a much larger discrepancy with "foreign" school than those in the US. I have recently interviewed for residency positions in the US, and have even posed the question to residency coordinators that accept foreign student applicants. Their rationale given was that there are SOME superbly trained foreign students, but there are some exceptionally poorly trained ones as well. They state a reluctance with foreign grads because of what they perceive as an extremely wide level of variability surpassing by a large margin that of American grads. My point is that American grads (some with good and some with poor training, DO and MD) have less variability in training and are thus more standardized in the finished product. Therefore, we are PERCEIVED as less of a risk. And in this thread, that ultimatley was the question posed.

3) I am not certain if "most DOs going into DO school" because couldnt get into MD school argument. I am a soon to be DO who chose DO school purely out of practicality. My stats were competitive either way but the time frame was sneaky in my case. I had submitted the AACOMAS (DO app), had been offered interviews and had been accepted to school a full month before the AMCAS (MD app) was even due. In that I am not independently wealthy to put in deposits everywhere and the fact I could not justify the logic behind turning down an acceptance to medical school in the "hope" of landing an MD interview. Now, my case is unique, I know many others who have just as unique of a story. I do not deny that there is a subset of the DO population who went DO after not getting into MD, I do not believe it to be as large as is rumored. I certainly do not feel it is the majority of us. But i do agree with you when you say "Who cares".

4) I do not claim superiority over European institutions or students, or anyone for that matter. However, I stick to my point that there has to be a reason that worldwide, physicians flock to the US for medical training opportunities. I do believe that the opportunities and strength of training are superb here but can not directly compare due to my inherent lack of foreign training experience.

5) I cannot comment on your choice for not applying to US schools in this last round of application. Perhaps, let me say it again PERHAPS you felt that lack of acceptances last time may translate to the same result this time. I must concede that it is equally possible that you decided to go to a foreign school because you wanted to do so. I tend to doubt the latter due to your admission that you do not deny having preffered to go to a US school. However, I do understand your frustration with affirmative action and difficulty landing a slot. I fully agree with you on that point.

6) I had no hidden agenda by stating that "People make decisions for whatever reasons". It simply was a filler to move on in my argument and in hindsight was not the best manner to phrase my thoughts. I meant no offense.

7) I applaud you and your argument for overcoming obstacles. I believe that to be a quality vital to a GOOD physician. Note that I say good. Many trained here and abroad have much given to them and I believe that adversity breeds success and ultimately a perspective vital to medicine. I do however feel that ultimately the American model and opportunity is superior to that in the Caribbean despite devoted instructors, plenty of extra hours etc.. By that argument, you make the assertion that American schools do not have the same or better faclities, caring instructors and hours of training. Plus, on the whole, I would guess that American students by an large do better on average on boards. This unfortunately is the standard by which we judge, albeit a questionable one.

8) Lastly, by encouraging people who "cannot take the fire" to "leave the kitchen", you leave the impression that the only way in this thread to have a disagreement is to lash out. It is unfortunate that you feel this way (if you truly do) becuase when we attack each other, we bring what we are trying to bring to attention down in repute. We can accomplish more in a more appropriate way if we disagree but do so intelligently. You have done so and for that you are to be commended.

BTW, I agree in hindsight that the "kid" was totally out of line and has no place in spouting off in the way he has done so.

8)

Members don't see this ad.

I would not usually insert my opinion into a discussion that does not directly involve me, but I must make an exception in this case. I am a long practicing PA, caring for a small community of residents in isolated, rural Alaska. (I am sure there will be some who feel I have no business at all adding my 'two cents worth' but they can complain if they choose) My collaborative MD is in a city distant from this town. I have worked with and/or trained with MDs and DOs from various training backgrounds over the years.
In the short run there are many issues persuading a person to choose which school to attend, I do not claim to have answers or suggestions for any seekers of wisdom regarding this. In the long run, I have seen many very good and well respected doctors from all sources and also many very poor doctors. Your colleagues and your patients will know; count on it.
I have read through this entire thread. I just thought that certain individuals who have been posting to this thread should realize that many people read what has been written here. Some of them may get a very bad impression of the caliber of character in our up and coming Doctors (whatever the training).
Thank you for your gracious attention.

you know skip

there is a reason why you are at the carib. You may state it is because you chose to (what a heap of bologna) but frankly its because you have no social skills and professionalism. I believe it is JIMMD or someone who was 'new' whom you for no reason slung mud at. stating that since they are new to this forum they are ignorant. Your ignorance drives your being...US med schools most likely caught on to this and disallowed your acceptance into their respective school. So my good friend (HAHA) please dont try to blind others and expel this image of carib schools being second rate (well thats gracious, i would say greatly inferior). YOu know its true. Someone above BESIDES ME showed the rankings of residency preferenes. WE ALL KNOW IT goes US ALLO, US DO, FOREIGN md, Carib. WHY DO YOU DENY THIS???

It's your ignorance and bitterness that is trying to hide reality. Be it as it is. YOu may feel your profs are great, etc..... ANd they may well be. HOWEVER, carib students are in the carib because of their failed attempts at a US education. GIVEN we all agree on the above stated 'ranking' of residency choices are you saying that it was your PREFERENCE to go to the carib??? LOL... most RATIONALE people would want life for themselves to be easier, that's why i find it very very hard to believe you didnt prefer a US school (MD or DO) over the carib. Come on now, let's not be full of it. It's ok to admit to the truth. It takes maturity.

Next, buddy let's talk maturity. Your mud slinging is fine, however, your name calling. you refer to people as stupid and idiotic, can we use a little bit more parliamentry language? is that possible? I mean the whole homosexuality bit, i mean what are we in 5th grade??? I understand that it takes next to nothing but a pulse to get into a carib school but come one let's be professional. Are you not going to see patients because of their hoomosexuality??? I find it hilarious that the only way you attack me is via my spelling mistakes and this labelling tactic. People like TAE (above poster) have clearly seen that there is NOTHING in my posting that indicates any, any homosexuality. your name calling and homophobia may stem from repressed childhood namecalling and abuse you may have experienced. Go see a psychiatrist.

Also i love how you've taken the liberty of labeling yourself as a US med student (see above post by skippy). This is what i mean. You carib grads JUMP at ANY, ANY opportunity to label yourself and equate yourself with us. YOu are not a US grad nor a US med student, you are doing only your rotatins there. YOU will and still are considered a foreign/carib grad! LOL

Also, like someone else stated, WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD ROSS HAVE ITS 5th semester in FL?!?! Wel......they've got lot of money to pay to a run down, filled with incompetent docs, listed as a very poor (as in ableness to cater to patients) hospital named LARKIN. ROSS HAS MONEY AND ROSS needs to justify that it is as good as a US school. THAT's why you all spent your 5th semester there!

So as the great Roman lawyer, writer, and orator Cicero did in his very famous defense of Claudius, you are simply fabricating information and 'throwing sand' in the eyes of the 'jury'. I along with almost everyone else on this forum REALIZE the incompetency produced by the carib schools. Realize it, deal with it...after all it was YOUR decision to attend a carib school. Nevertheless, I will never stand hear passively listening to your unwarranted and unjustified banter of how carib schools are on par with US schools (that's another thing...dude you are the lowest of the bunch how dare you try to take a hit on a US allo school...anyone that it is). Do you realize that i've talked to many, many carib students (at ROSS AND SGU) and they DIE for a chance to transfer to ANY, ANY US ALLO SCHOOL!! You claim you are better than a student at Howard. Why just because in the past the institution has taught primariliy African Americans? Are you homophobic as well as racist now? I dont understand your rationale? See the problem that i see is that you are racist, old man, who is very very insecure about himself and his decision to attend a sub par carib schoool. so dont even try to bash any US school...you are nothing. I would entrust my life and that of anyone else with a US grad (be it howard, or any school) than with a carib joker (you know the type like you that screwed up HS, college, etc but decided hell i can get into a carib school and thus chose that route).

cheers and act your age !

Members don't see this ad :)
:rolleyes:
*Sigh*

You sure have a lot of rude and ridiculous statements here...a strange hatred, especially since it's coming from someone who was very close to being a "carib joker" him/herself.

Originally posted by dknykid1980
you know skip

there is a reason why you are at the carib. You may state it is because you chose to (what a heap of bologna) but frankly its because you have no social skills and professionalism. I believe it is JIMMD or someone who was 'new' whom you for no reason slung mud at. stating that since they are new to this forum they are ignorant. Your ignorance drives your being...US med schools most likely caught on to this and disallowed your acceptance into their respective school. So my good friend (HAHA) please dont try to blind others and expel this image of carib schools being second rate (well thats gracious, i would say greatly inferior). YOu know its true. Someone above BESIDES ME showed the rankings of residency preferenes. WE ALL KNOW IT goes US ALLO, US DO, FOREIGN md, Carib. WHY DO YOU DENY THIS???

It's your ignorance and bitterness that is trying to hide reality. Be it as it is. YOu may feel your profs are great, etc..... ANd they may well be. HOWEVER, carib students are in the carib because of their failed attempts at a US education. GIVEN we all agree on the above stated 'ranking' of residency choices are you saying that it was your PREFERENCE to go to the carib??? LOL... most RATIONALE people would want life for themselves to be easier, that's why i find it very very hard to believe you didnt prefer a US school (MD or DO) over the carib. Come on now, let's not be full of it. It's ok to admit to the truth. It takes maturity.

Next, buddy let's talk maturity. Your mud slinging is fine, however, your name calling. you refer to people as stupid and idiotic, can we use a little bit more parliamentry language? is that possible? I mean the whole homosexuality bit, i mean what are we in 5th grade??? I understand that it takes next to nothing but a pulse to get into a carib school but come one let's be professional. Are you not going to see patients because of their hoomosexuality??? I find it hilarious that the only way you attack me is via my spelling mistakes and this labelling tactic. People like TAE (above poster) have clearly seen that there is NOTHING in my posting that indicates any, any homosexuality. your name calling and homophobia may stem from repressed childhood namecalling and abuse you may have experienced. Go see a psychiatrist.

Also i love how you've taken the liberty of labeling yourself as a US med student (see above post by skippy). This is what i mean. You carib grads JUMP at ANY, ANY opportunity to label yourself and equate yourself with us. YOu are not a US grad nor a US med student, you are doing only your rotatins there. YOU will and still are considered a foreign/carib grad! LOL

Also, like someone else stated, WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD ROSS HAVE ITS 5th semester in FL?!?! Wel......they've got lot of money to pay to a run down, filled with incompetent docs, listed as a very poor (as in ableness to cater to patients) hospital named LARKIN. ROSS HAS MONEY AND ROSS needs to justify that it is as good as a US school. THAT's why you all spent your 5th semester there!

So as the great Roman lawyer, writer, and orator Cicero did in his very famous defense of Claudius, you are simply fabricating information and 'throwing sand' in the eyes of the 'jury'. I along with almost everyone else on this forum REALIZE the incompetency produced by the carib schools. Realize it, deal with it...after all it was YOUR decision to attend a carib school. Nevertheless, I will never stand hear passively listening to your unwarranted and unjustified banter of how carib schools are on par with US schools (that's another thing...dude you are the lowest of the bunch how dare you try to take a hit on a US allo school...anyone that it is). Do you realize that i've talked to many, many carib students (at ROSS AND SGU) and they DIE for a chance to transfer to ANY, ANY US ALLO SCHOOL!! You claim you are better than a student at Howard. Why just because in the past the institution has taught primariliy African Americans? Are you homophobic as well as racist now? I dont understand your rationale? See the problem that i see is that you are racist, old man, who is very very insecure about himself and his decision to attend a sub par carib schoool. so dont even try to bash any US school...you are nothing. I would entrust my life and that of anyone else with a US grad (be it howard, or any school) than with a carib joker (you know the type like you that screwed up HS, college, etc but decided hell i can get into a carib school and thus chose that route).

Chloe, you took the words right out of my mouth.

"Kid" your arrogance is just astonishing. Have you completely forgotten how much you were sweating it last year?? How did you become so superior to those that took a different path than you??

To everyone...just drop it.
The impersonalization the computer creates and fostered nasty comments, poor judgement and choosing of words, and overall poor behavior unbecoming of future Physicians.
Take a step back.
Whether one becomes a MD or DO and regardless of the country of the school/institution of higher learning...they are willing to undertake and accept a great deal of responsibility that very few are willing or allowed to take on.
Give each other a hug and just move along! There are far more important issues at hand.

I think there are a couple of SGU grads who are chief residents at Hopkins and Yale. I can only ask myself would this be the case if there was any problem with their education? Its not where you start your education but how far you take it. Soon these residents will be able to honestly claim that they were trained at Hopkins and Yale. When they are board certified in their specialties they will be justifiably proud of how far they got.

Originally posted by San_Juan_Sun
Nothing wrong with 4 years in the Caribbean in my book. :)

Yes, Puerto Rico is indeed beautiful and made many stops there on my way back and forth to the islands. I love Old San Juan.

But, my question to you is: have you been to Dominica? ;)

Originally posted by jimdo
Skip Intro,
My compliments to you sir for a reasoned, well constructed argument.

Thank you. And, thank you for your patience.

I confess that I have not followed this thread from the beginning, but came in at a point somewhat later. Nevertheless, I am sticking to my guns and disagree with you on several points. I will outline them briefly here:

Okay, let's make sure that we're still talking facts, though.

1) I do not as a rule believe that Caribbean training is on the same level as American medical training. If it were it would be both more popular and compelling for more US students.

As a "rule", probably not. There are a lot of Caribbean schools out there. I would limit my characterization to the two I know best and the ones that currently have the best reputations: Ross University in Dominica and St. George's University in Grenada. Both, in my opinion, provide a "near equivalent" (if not outright equivalent) educational experience for their students. Of course, it is not a "traditional" educational path, which is a point a lot of people seem to get lost on.

Secondly, you demonstrate a fallacy of logic when you make your "if it were..." statement. You're trying to draw a conclusion based on perception, not fact - and you are suggesting that one necessarily follows the other (that there is a "cause and effect", i.e. popularity = matriculation). We call this a fallacy of joint effect - and one does not cause the other. First off, at any given time there are about 900 people studying in Dominica and about 1900 total in the program. That FAR exceeds any U.S. school. Next, there are many factors that lead into one's decision to pursue their degree offshore, not the least of which is an overpowering dedication to medicine and becoming a doctor. In other words and to show you an equally invalid counter-argument to yours, I could say that students who didn't get an admission to a U.S. school and didn't go to the Caribbean really didn't have the dedication to become a doctor anyway and the number of students studying in the Caribbean accurately reflects the number who do - that is, they can't be anymore popular because they already serve ALL the students who really want to be doctors. Do you now see the problem with your logic?

Secondly, if the preliminary training (i.e. years 1 and 2) were really as good as they are in the US, then there would be no purpose or rationale for a fifth semester to shore up basic sciences in order to pass the USMLE.

Again, you are speaking, pardon the expression, from ignorance. The "fifth semester" in Miami is a clinical semester, it is not a "review" semester. It is the first clerkship and a chance to pull together the skills of interviewing and history taking (learned in the third semester) and conduct supervised physicals (learned in the fourth semester) at U.S. hospitals. The program is only nine weeks long, and is not intended to be a remedial course. Admittedly, the hospitals in Dominica are not up to U.S. standards, and this "fifth semester" program provides students an opportunity to "get their feet wet" in a selection of U.S. hospitals in Miami.

I agree with you that in the long run that medical fact memorization has little to do with medical training, we must nevertheless consider that our standard is board passage. And for extra time necessary to pass the boards, it is an indication of weaker preclinical training.

Okay, let's seperate these two things and give you a little more background before you make hasty generalizations and erroneous conclusion. And, I'm going to talk about Ross, because that is the system I know best.

So, we've already cleared-up the misconception about the fifth semester, right? Now you have to consider that students, such as myself, who complete the first four semester going straight through do so in only sixteen months - and that's straight through. Most U.S. medical schools complete the same curriculum in 20 months with two months of break in the summer between first and second year. So, if you are going to criticize the time spent, you should actually go the other way and say that Caribbean schools do not spend ENOUGH time covering the material. However, that then demands an explanation for why students such as myself can successfully study and complete the course work in sixteen months.

Next, the "fifth semester" (again) is a clinical semester. I have approximately six weeks following the completion of this upcoming semester to sit for and pass Step I. That's it. That will work out for me to be about mid-May. In actual calendar time, it works out to be less time when compared to what most medical students at U.S. schools are given to prepare for Step I.
But, does time overall really matter provided you've learned the material? Some U.S. students might actually take three years to learn the first two pre-clinical sciences material (if they fail a year). There is no way this would be allowed at Ross. But, on the whole the Step I scores are still comparable to U.S. scores... and (not to start TOO much controversy) better than osteopath students.

"As Forbes [magazine] points out, Ross students USMLE Step I first-time pass rates compare favorably to foreign medical school averages. At 82% to 94%, Ross students also outperform U.S. osteopathic students who typically achieve first-time pass rates of approximately 75%."

http://www.rossmed.edu/Medical_Scho...of_Forbes/letter_to_the_editor_of_forbes.html

Secondly, I'm not now (nor have I ever) argued against the fact that the admissions standards are lower for the Carib schools. This does not mean, however, that ALL the students attending are sub-par - and that every student who applies gets into Ross and SGU, for that matter. However, many of the VERY competitive students in my class just simply could not gain an admission to a U.S. school, despite equal qualifications to those who did. Then again, some, like myself, didn't even apply to U.S. schools. The admissions system and process in the U.S. is far from fair - I don't think we are in dispute on that point.

It does, however, mean that a larger percentage of the class will have "slower learners", for whatever reason, as well as people who just can't learn the material at all (again, for whatever reason) and fail out. However, most of the slower learners decelerate. This does not mean, and I don't think you are suggesting, that ALL the students are slow learners and/or sub-par. Likewise, no one can argue that there aren't students in the U.S. (allo or osteo) who also "decelerate" (e.g., have to take remedial courses in the summer, repeat a year, etc.) or just fail out altogether. But, the traditional U.S. system is MUCH more geared to selecting the winners on the front-end and getting students through the entire program - at Ross, if you fail-out you fail-out and that's it. It's a harsh reality for some unfortunate individuals.

Finally on this point, the decelerating students still have to pass their classes and ultimately the boards to get through the program. If they don't, they're gone. This happens to a lot of people. Just because you come to Dominica to study medicine doesn't mean you're automatically going to become a doctor.

I admit that I know little about foreign non-Caribbean medical training.

Well, I'm trying to help you know a little more about the Caribbean too. ;)

I state here and now that I have nothing against foreign doctors, but there is a reason why so many physicians want to come to the states. Is there any similarity in number of American physicians wishing to go overseas and train after a US medical education??

However, I stick to my point that there has to be a reason that worldwide, physicians flock to the US for medical training opportunities.

And, what's the dual reason for that?

Money, cabbage, Benjamins, greenbacks, frogs, bucks, dead presidents... pure and simple. We pay physicians a LOT of money in the U.S. That is the sole reason. This is not an indictment against people wanting to be a doctor in the U.S. for that reason - whether they trained here or somewhere else. What it does illustrate, however, is the fact that despite 25% of all U.S. physicians being foreign-trained and we still have a doctor shortage in certain areas of the country that there aren't enough medical schools (or enough students in the schools that already exist) to meet the needs.

The rest of your message, I don't really need to comment on because most of it is hearsay and your personal opinion on things that have been hashed-out a thousand times before on this forum.

If you want to provide any data or links to back up what you say, though, I'll be happy to look at it. PM me, though, because I'm not going to be spending anymore time in the pre-Osteopath forum, no offense to anyone intended.

Oh... but one more thing...

BTW, I agree in hindsight that the "kid" was totally out of line and has no place in spouting off in the way he has done so.

Thank you for that, and thank you for getting up to speed on the rest of the thread. ;)

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user
you know skip

:laugh:

You got just so much wrong even in this one post... :laugh: What did you get on the VR section of the MCAT? I'd be shocked if it was higher than a 4.

Keep 'em coming, "kid". These little gems of yours are priceless. Oh, you're going to make a GREAT doctor if you continue to stay on this current holier-than-thou, sloppy, poorly supported, poorly constructed, "I believe everything I hear", and completely baseless, factless path you're on. I hope you have a good lawyer because you're going to get sued a lot.

Skip,
I do not know if you still are checking in on this thread, but thought Id post one last reply. First of all, I congratulate you again on a well thought out, albeit in my opinion mistaken arguement. I know that we will not perhaps agree, but it is important for you to know I respect your opinion. Just a few points though:

1) Any discrepancy (although I know of none for certainty) in osteopathic physician board passage rates on USMLE can be accounted to the fact that our entire medical training focuses on a different board altogether. It is named the COMLEX and is roughly equivalent to the USMLE with the exception of approx 1/3 of the material covering manual medicine and treatment modality. This is at the expense of much statistical and epidemiological material. In effect, many DO students go into studying for that portion of the USMLE completely cold having last seen any of that material since college. One might say that if an MD were to take the COMLEX, his/her passage rate might be somewhat lowere, simply a difference in focus of exams.

2) I do not believe that foreign trained docs come to the US simply for money purposes. If this were true, I would imagine a larger percentage trying to come post-residency rather than for residency training. We all know residents dont make much money nor would it be easy to work as an attending in the US without a US residency, but I believe the greater purpose of many is for quality training programs here in the US.

I make no qualms in admitting that my posts have been opinion based. I believe that this is a forum to discuss opinion and that perspective is the key. You have provided quotes and statistics, but in the end opinion is the purpose here. After all, the saying goes that there are "lies, damn lies and statistics". I would imagine you would agree with the argument that stats can be turned to support whatever you seek.

Lastly, there remains much you state with which I disagree. However, I will leave it at that point. We simply disagree and likely will remain doing so. On that note, I wish you well, and may you be a physician who represents foreign medical education well. Good luck in whatever field you choose, and feel free to PM me any time.

Jim

DO

(Is that your final answer?)

Originally posted by Skip Intro

You got just so much wrong even in this one post... :laugh: What did you get on the VR section of the MCAT? I'd be shocked if it was higher than a 4.

Keep 'em coming, "kid". These little gems of yours are priceless. Oh, you're going to make a GREAT doctor if you continue to stay on this current holier-than-thou, sloppy, poorly supported, poorly constructed, "I believe everything I hear", and completely baseless, factless path you're on. I hope you have a good lawyer because you're going to get sued a lot.

I think y'all are both stupid and immature. w00t.

Ok.. i know this is somewhat of an old topic but..

I was searching on something totally unrelated and I remember reading this thread.. this is about 2 1/2 years old

Ok first off whoever wrote the things above truly do not have a clue about what they're saying.

I've talking to many med school students at these schools, furthermore, I've talked to some residency directors. Yes, right now it is a little easier to get to those two schools you mentioned. However, all that is changing, last time I checked Ross's matriculation GPA avg was like a 3.3 (America's is around a 3.4).

I've talked to the admisisons counselors at the two schools you mentioned and they even told me try at least twice to get into the states..if all else fails go to the carib.

However, then I talked to some residency students and they told me that once you're in residency everyone's equal. Plus at this hospital, there's an individual there that's the chief resident (at cook county hosp in chicago) that graduated from Ross. I then went and talked to him. He told me that initially, yah he was a little ashamed to say anything. However, he found that he got the best education (even better than American schools) because it was more hands on. He said, out in the carib, you actually get to have more hands on interaction with patients (cuz obviously there's no lawsuits and etc out there). Plus he was telling me it's an experience that truly is something that is a bonus. He told me how the docs are always asking him about his experience and all.

Plus if you look at it, he told me, what does it matter where you went to school as long as you get to the position you want. I mean honestly, you're becoming a MD to help others (well ideally) so does it matter where you went if you got an excellent education? Ross's facilities are soooooo much nicer and newer than even most US schools. In addition, ROSS and SGU students have to score hell of a lot higher on the USMLE's than US students (wouldnt that prove that they are just as good or even better).

I guess my closing lines are simply what that kid who was the chief resid told me. He said, if you go to Finch, UIC, or practically an med school you're always going to be made fun of or put down by the IVy leaguers. Basically, if you are always looking at what other ppl are gonna say about you, you arent gonna really win this namesake battle unless you go to an IVY league school or Oxford. ALSO, these students from ROss have gotten residencies (mostly internal med, fam pract, but surgery and stuff are common) at hospitals that cater to graduates from Ivy Leaguers doesnt that meant they are just as good.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents. Well it was prolly a little more than that. Nevertheless, hope this helps, as far as I'm concerned I'd rather go there than wait an year (gosh its a whole year of your life!!! I know ppl say its just one year, but heck life is short!!!) Those individuals who talk trash about carib are simply jealous (because what I said there really is no difference in how one ends up) or just feeling stupid they didnt go to a carib school cuz now after waiting 2 years for a med school they are at home picking their butts.
Ok..well if you have anymore Q's either post them or even go to the International Forum or even the Allopathic Forum.

Heres the link where he had other, apparently, good views with Caribbeans schools.. What changed your mind?
I specifically liked the "Those Individuals who talk trash about carib are simply jealous" statement
Old Posts

DO over caribbean or US MD anyday. :clap:

COMP ROCKS!!! :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

why is there a resurgence of all these old threads lately?

Originally posted by crazy250
why is there a resurgence of all these old threads lately?

because there really is nothing new ever posted on SDN. Its the same old DO vs. MD, DO vs. Caribbean, DO vs. Osama Bin Laden bull$hit day after day.

So, maybe people have just decided that, more than likely, if there were some persuasive argument to be made that finally proves some particular viewpoint in the classic DO vs. the world struggle, it would have been made long ago.

But, since we're on the topic, here is my pick for the all-time best DO vs. MD dogfight:

DO's and US FMG's should not be allowed to practice US medicine

Now we can resurrect this thread and start the fun all over again!