DO vs. international MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

txkiteboarder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have come to grasp with this question thinking that I will do anything to get into medical school.

But then when I came to my senses, I realized that I would only go to a US medical school. You have to think in the long term of what your future patients will think of you...

Personally think, DO schools that has been around for near a century or has nearly equivalent matriculant stats is better than any internation MD school.

Last: I understand that residency in a way is more important but first you have to have a good foundation, good clinicals, and last think about patients psyche when they might want second opinions just because you graduated from school in south america...

Personally, I admire the DO philosophy and think that it would make me more of a complete doctor.

what do you guys/girl think?

Members don't see this ad.

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

If you look at the top menu bar, there should be a "search" option. Try searching for the terms "DO" and "Caribbean" and you will get enough reading material for the next few days - all possible arguments, angles, emotions, rationale, etc. have been explored, dissected, analyzed, re-dissected, argued, riot, etc. and you will get the opinions of many on this very issue

Good luck and happy readings

Personally think, DO schools that has been around for near a century or has nearly equivalent matriculant stats is better than any internation MD school.

Last: I understand that residency in a way is more important but first you have to have a good foundation, good clinicals, and last think about patients psyche when they might want second opinions just because you graduated from school in south america...

Personally, I admire the DO philosophy and think that it would make me more of a complete doctor.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
You can definitely search, but you probably want an answer right?

I believe it is to your advantage to attend medical school in America, whether allopathic or osteopathic. Established rotations, matchlists, etc.

i will bring popcorn:laugh:

DO schools definitely do not intend to weed you out while in school. Like with the US MD schools, the weed-out process begins when the applicants are applying, not when they're med students. With foreign med schools, they take a great number of their applicants and weed them out WHILE in med school. Imagine that, massive debt and can't graduate. YIKES! Also, the support system just is not there in foreign med schools. I am referring to the Caribbean schools as examples of the foreign med schools in all of this. However, I have seen where Caribbean-based med students fare well in US residency matches, as it depends moreso on the individual. For every success story, expect sad/sob stories. Same is true vice-versa. You don't see too many sob stories with those going the DO route.

The only other thing is that European MD schools are quite good, too -- Ireland, UK, Poland to name a few.

I think DO's are cool. It seems like being a DO is rebellious. I wouldnt mind being alittle bit on the rebel side. lol

DO schools definitely do not intend to weed you out while in school. Like with the US MD schools, the weed-out process begins when the applicants are applying, not when they're med students. With foreign med schools, they take a great number of their applicants and weed them out WHILE in med school. Imagine that, massive debt and can't graduate. YIKES! Also, the support system just is not there in foreign med schools. I am referring to the Caribbean schools as examples of the foreign med schools in all of this. However, I have seen where Caribbean-based med students fare well in US residency matches, as it depends moreso on the individual. For every success story, expect sad/sob stories. Same is true vice-versa. You don't see too many sob stories with those going the DO route.

The only other thing is that European MD schools are quite good, too -- Ireland, UK, Poland to name a few.

I agree with Dr.Inviz, it is wat it is...people shouldnt consider foreign schools unless you are positive that schools here in US are not an option.

IMGs may not have the degree initials to worry about after they're through their residency, but they face so much resistance when applying through the residency match that they have much lesser percentages for getting into their top choice hospitals...

The order is and will always be IN TERMS OF COMPETITIVENESS given equal grades and board scores:

MD>DO>>>IMG

And don't flame me for putting MD>DO. Top MD residencies are going to look more favorably upon those who went through MD programs... it might be by a marginal amount, but it's still going to be there. Chances are, a DO applying for a given residency slot will probably need to do at least slightly better in terms of stats (med school grades, USMLE/COMLEX). In regions of the country where DOs are quite prevalent, this may be much less of a factor.

And of course, if you are looking at any normal-Joe residency (non-ROAD), there is a marginal if not negligible difference in the two degrees, IMHO.

I worked at a psych office affiliated with a very respectable MD school and was friends with many of the people who were responsible for the residencies. They told me that No school wants to match with someone who obtained their med degree out of the country. period.

i have come to grasp with this question thinking that I will do anything to get into medical school.

But then when I came to my senses, I realized that I would only go to a US medical school. You have to think in the long term of what your future patients will think of you...

what do you guys/girl think?

Wow. And then it just goes downhill from there!

Please read the FAQ, you will find links to open discussions on this beaten-to-death subject. Feel free to contribute to one of the open threads, closing this to consolidate the discussion (and avoid the flame war that WILL occur)

Status
Not open for further replies.