DO vs. MD LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biofreaks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title mentions, I was curious about my LOR. I currently have an MD LOR, i shadowed in the ED for over 120 hours with lots of variety. What i mean is, some days shadowing i was with a DO and some days with an MD as well as PAs.

The MD that wrote the letter was the head of the ED who set up OR shadowing and ambulance ride alongs so i could get the entire experience which i think is much better then sticking with one general thing.

I guess my question is, when i apply to DO schools will they say "hey, this is an MD letter etc etc" will this "hurt" me or will it not be a big deal in the end?

If anyone has any experience with a MD letter vs DO please let me know, any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It only matters at the schools that specifically require a DO letter. There are, I believe, 8 of them. You're good at the other 20. I used an MD letter and got a pile of interview invites.

It only matters at the schools that specifically require a DO letter. There are, I believe, 8 of them. You're good at the other 20. I used an MD letter and got a pile of interview invites.

You also had crazy good stats for a DO applicant (I believe you mentioned them in another thread; I don't remember exact numbers). I'm sure they had more to do with your pile of interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
You also had crazy good stats for a DO applicant (I believe you mentioned them in another thread; I don't remember exact numbers). I'm sure they had more to do with your pile of interviews.
If you've got average or better stats for a DO applicant, I really don't think the MD will hurt you. If you've got below average stats (MCAT <27) a DO letter might help to demonstrate more commitment. If you're in the middle of the pack (3.3, 27) or better, just chill and use the MD app.

I think a DO letter helps regardless of your stats, even for schools that don't 'require' it. I would use the MD's letter and a DO letter if you can get one.

Probably doesn't matter unless they really want the DO letter. I got one, and got rejected from a school that really wanted one. Didn't seem to matter for MD schools I gave it to, though.