Sep 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
A friend of mines told me, for Psychiatry DO school would be a better deal than MD. And going to DO school you get more of a different approach than only just medicine. Is that true? I would love to hear what others think.

fourandtwo

7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2012
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
My take: MD or DO won't matter for psychiatry because it's not a particularly competitive specialty. Nevertheless, psychiatry is what I'm interested in right now too, and I do think that the DO perspective is nice because of that reason. But just remember that you might change your mind in a few years!

About the Ads

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Aren't the mid-tier++ psych programs competitive though?
The most impressive match I have seen was Touro-CA students matching into UCSFs psychiatry program. They were the only DOs I know who matching to residencies of that caliber. Mid-tier academic residencies is definitely more doable for DOs though, but you got to be at the upper end of the spectrum amongst DO applicants.

Reactions: Watermelonss

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
What student (board scores?) would you consider upper end of the spectrum?
Also, what would the main benefits of going to top tier residency vs mid tier, if one doesn't plan to be a professor?
To hit the mid-tier range I would say around 240 step I. To hit the top, I would guess > 250 combined with research and stellar LORs (even with this DOs will face bias). However, take what I say as conjecture based on matches I've seen on SDN (better to hear it from a psychiatry resident).

Usually with a better residency you have a better chance at a fellowship. Since a lot of psychiatry fellowships are not extremely competitive, as long as your in an academic residency, you should be fine for all them.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
When it comes to residency MD wins every time, in every specialty. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying to you or is completely uninformed.

/thread

OP
R
Sep 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
The most impressive match I have seen was Touro-CA students matching into UCSFs psychiatry program. They were the only DOs I know who matching to residencies of that caliber. Mid-tier academic residencies is definitely more doable for DOs though, but you got to be at the upper end of the spectrum amongst DO applicants.
Going to UCSF is actually a school i would love to go to. I pray I get in but even if I don't it won't be the end of the world. Where can I find good info on UCSFs psych program? Good info that is.

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Going to UCSF is actually a school i would love to go to. I pray I get in but even if I don't it won't be the end of the world. Where can I find good info on UCSFs psych program? Good info that is.
You can either look at their site or you can ask the residents on the psychiatry sub forum (you can even find their interview experience if you search former threads). Hope this helps.

About the Ads

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student

Quackery445

King of the Onion - to - Foot Detoxification
2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Speaking of matching into competitive Psych residencies, KCUMB reports that they have had students accepted to the Mayo program within the past year. Impressive.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
That sounds awsome. But doesn't OMM take a toll on the body after practicing it from 12 hours everyday?
I'm sure, some of it definitely strains the back and arms

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
About the Ads

StudentDoctorNetwork?

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 30, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Osteopathic medicine's holistic approach and emphasis on preventative care are huge assets to have when practicing psychiatry.

Last edited by a moderator:

drabberbadge

5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
What do you think about UQ-oschners MD degree? do you think that is still better than a DO program?

tunicaexterna

2+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Also speaking of impressive matches - last year we had a match into the UC Davis psych program.

EastSide

2+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Any thoughts on how the merger will effect residencies in the future for D.O & M.D

EastSide

2+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Less competitive residency spots for DOs
Can you elaborate?
If DO and MD come to a complete uniformed residency program, wouldn't a DO fight for the same spot as the MD? If so, it would be more difficult for the DO to secure residency over their MD couterparts.

allantois

5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Can you elaborate?
If DO and MD come to a complete uniformed residency program, wouldn't a DO fight for the same spot as the MD? If so, it would be more difficult for the DO to secure residency over their MD couterparts.
Well DOs could always apply for MD residencies. They also had their own residencies. Not all of those residencies are gonna survive, while the rest are going to become open to MD applicants.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Any thoughts on how the merger will effect residencies in the future for D.O & M.D
Do a search. There is also a sticky at the top of the DO med student page.

About the Ads

Robin-jay

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Which is the more difficult conundrum?

DO vs. MD

or

Superman vs. Batman

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Which is the more difficult conundrum?

DO vs. MD

or

Superman vs. Batman
Neither of those are conundrums. MD wins every time and Batman is the superior character.

Kleimanb

2+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I've worked with DO and MD's and without the label I could not tell you the difference. As for specialties, MD's will usually have more options and a higher chance of being placed.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
That depends, did your batman train in the Caribbeans?
Batman received his degree from a university that is a part of the League of Shadows. It is even more prestigious than any university associated with the Ivy League.

Reactions: Shotapp

Robin-jay

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Batman received his degree from a university that is a part of the League of Shadows. It is even more prestigious than any university associated with the Ivy League.
League of Shadows has poor residency opportunities. Batman essentially won the lotto with his position after going there. A typical graduate position would be similar to aqualad's spot.

HueySmith

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2017
Status
Medical Student
If you go to a DO school, youre doomed to fill one of the lower paying specialties (eg. fam med, psych, internal med, peds)

kuzy

Startled Red Panda
2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2016
The zoo
Status
Medical Student
The real question: is it worse to be an international medical graduate (batman) or an interstellar medical graduate (superman)...?

HueySmith

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Neither, it's worse to be a DO student
The real question: is it worse to be an international medical graduate (batman) or an interstellar medical graduate (superman)...?

HueySmith

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2017
Status
Medical Student
You're definitely not...
I mean...the chances are high. If you're a super duper hardworking intelligent student (which all students think they are before they start med school), you wouldn't even be in DO schools in the first place. For the average DO students, you're more likely to be limited to those fields I mentioned. MAYBE general surg, anesthesiology if you improve your study habits a little.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
If you go to a DO school, youre doomed to fill one of the lower paying specialties (eg. fam med, psych, internal med, peds)
Neither, it's worse to be a DO student
And like 70-80% is in those specialties I mentioned.
I mean...the chances are high. If you're a super duper hardworking intelligent student (which all students think they are before they start med school), you wouldn't even be in DO schools in the first place. For the average DO students, you're more likely to be limited to those fields I mentioned. MAYBE general surg, anesthesiology if you improve your study habits a little.
Lol

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
It’s always better to be Batman.

About the Ads