Do we REALLY have to take all the prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to apply to some schools before the end of the enrollment period, but I haven't taken microbiology and human anatomy/physiology courses. I've already graduated with BS in Chemistry and working full time and all the courses offered in at the community college conflict with work times.

So my question is, do we REALLY have to take the prereqs? You think the adcoms will let it slide? I did take some bio related courses such as pharmacology and biochemistry (3). I know it's probably school dependent, so has anyone had any experience with this? and with which school?

My 2nd question is, does anyone know of any REAL online courses I can take to fulfill microbiology/anatomy/physiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Trying to apply to some schools before the end of the enrollment period, but I haven't taken microbiology and human anatomy/physiology courses. I've already graduated with BS in Chemistry and working full time and all the courses offered in at the community college conflict with work times.

So my question is, do we REALLY have to take the prereqs? You think the adcoms will let it slide? I did take some bio related courses such as pharmacology and biochemistry (3). I know it's probably school dependent, so has anyone had any experience with this? and with which school?

My 2nd question is, does anyone know of any REAL online courses I can take to fulfill microbiology/anatomy/physiology?

You must take the science course at the physical school, from what I understand. I also highly doubt they will let any pre-reqs "slide".

You need to do all the pre-reqs before matriculation. They usually don't let anything slide and your science courses need to be within the past 5-7 yrs (if memory serves me right). The only thing they normally let slide would be the humanities and English (only if you already have a degree since you'll have to take those classes to get your BS anyways).

Try contacting your school. They may make exceptions under extenuating circumstances so check with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools are set up so that certain classes aren't needed for students with a bachelor's degree. Contact the school or poke around the FAQs

I don't know of any online courses in A&P or similar that have a lab that will count to fulfill your pre-reqs. It is true that some schools will waive certain pre-reqs if you have a bachelors, but those are usually "soft" classes like sociology, history, etc, and not sciences. The schools' websites should state specifically what courses they will waive.

And I would not otherwise plan on a school ever letting pre-reqs slide.

You cannot skip any prereqs because that's how they evaluate you among others. Additionally, microbio and anatomy/physiology are pretty important courses because you need to have the fundamentals prior to pharm school - you will see courses that have concepts of those courses again. Some schools don't require you to take microbio and anatomy/physiology labs so online courses will be fine, but you really need to research on the schools that you're applying to.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Does anyone know about or have experience with the possibility of deferring acceptance to the following year because the prereqs could not be met before matriculation?

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Does anyone know about or have experience with the possibility of deferring acceptance to the following year because the prereqs could not be met before matriculation?

Competition for pharmacy has gotten so tough that AdCom start to kick out people for not completing prereqs on time. It may not be 100% true, but the majority of the schools do that now. You should really call your school admission office and ask/explain about your situation and see what they have to say. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I was looking online and came across this community college that specializes in online courses called Rio Salado College. I found both 'BIO201 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I' course and 'BIO205 - Microbiology' course that seems to be completely online and 4 units each.

http://www.riosalado.edu/schedule/Pages/schedule.aspx?prefix=BIO#

As far as I can tell it looks legit
" Rio Salado College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commissionand a member of the North Central Association30 North La Salle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602-2504800-621-7440 / www.ncahlc.org"

I will contact the schools to see if it'll be acceptable. What do you guys think?

^wow $200+ per unit. god damn.

You need to do all the pre-reqs before matriculation. They usually don't let anything slide and your science courses need to be within the past 5-7 yrs (if memory serves me right). The only thing they normally let slide would be the humanities and English (only if you already have a degree since you'll have to take those classes to get your BS anyways).

Try contacting your school. They may make exceptions under extenuating circumstances so check with them.

Do schools make any exceptions for the time limit? I've basically been bumming around my school for 6 years now trying to make up my mind on what I want to do. I've finally decided but by the time I'll be able to apply some of my classes will be 6-7 years old, while pretty much every single school I've looked at has said classes need to be in the last five years. During this time period I've never actually been out of school at all, so does that help?

Do schools make any exceptions for the time limit? I've basically been bumming around my school for 6 years now trying to make up my mind on what I want to do. I've finally decided but by the time I'll be able to apply some of my classes will be 6-7 years old, while pretty much every single school I've looked at has said classes need to be in the last five years. During this time period I've never actually been out of school at all, so does that help?

I was able to get a waiver for my coursework, the majority of which was over 7 years old, because I had been employed as a chemist and was enrolled in graduate school. There are also some schools that don't have a time limit, Virginia Commonwealth comes to mind. It all depends on the individual school.

I will contact the schools to see if it'll be acceptable. What do you guys think?

I was actually just about to suggest Rio Salado... Rio Salado is part of the Maricopa Community College District and is an accredited college. It is legit. I live within an hour from their main office. :p I am just finishing up Psych 101 from them as a missing prereq, but I did get permission from the CoP to take it online before I took it (they usually don't accept online credits).

Make absolutely sure your CoP will accept online credits for these lab classes before you hang your hat on them.

^wow $200+ per unit. god damn.
It drops to ~$70 per unit if you are a resident. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)

Well that usually pertains to the science courses but if they are outside of the school's limit, you may need to audit those classes or something like that. Talk to AdCom. There are usually exceptions made but only they can advise you of that.

I was actually just about to suggest Rio Salado... Rio Salado is part of the Maricopa Community College District and is an accredited college. It is legit. I live within an hour from their main office. :p I am just finishing up Psych 101 from them as a missing prereq, but I did get permission from the CoP to take it online before I took it (they usually don't accept online credits).

Make absolutely sure your CoP will accept online credits for these lab classes before you hang your hat on them.

It drops to ~$70 per unit if you are a resident. :cool:

It should also be noted that while you may be able to take Psych online (like I did), you generally cannot take science courses online (well technically you can but most pharm schools don't accept them). So A&P and Micro are generally a no-no if taken online for most schools

I already asked this question on a separate thread, but was not able to get a clear answer. I know most pharmacy schools require micro economics and 1-2 classes in behavioral science. I took micro econ and introduction to psychology as pass/fail class because while I was doing my undergraduate, I majored in engineering and engineering students were allowed to take their electives all pass/fail with limitation to one per semester. Do any of you know whether Pharmacy schools put a big emphasis on this? Obviously I imagine you can't do this with your science requirements.

Thanks

I already asked this question on a separate thread, but was not able to get a clear answer. I know most pharmacy schools require micro economics and 1-2 classes in behavioral science. I took micro econ and introduction to psychology as pass/fail class because while I was doing my undergraduate, I majored in engineering and engineering students were allowed to take their electives all pass/fail with limitation to one per semester. Do any of you know whether Pharmacy schools put a big emphasis on this? Obviously I imagine you can't do this with your science requirements.

Thanks

Really? The answer is yes.

I took microbiology online from Ocean County College. It was easy and took me 10 weeks over the summer. A&P is a pre-req for microbio, however.

Some schools work with you if you have a degree in regards to non-science pre-reqs. But you honestly won't be ready for pharm school without A&P!

[...]and engineering students were allowed to take their electives all pass/fail with limitation to one per semester. Do any of you know whether Pharmacy schools put a big emphasis on this?

Really? The answer is yes.

Really? I thought the answer is "yes, and call the school." :smuggrin:

Sorry, feeling a bit snarky.

I took microbiology online from Ocean County College. It was easy and took me 10 weeks over the summer. A&P is a pre-req for microbio, however.

My microbio class only required General Biology I as a prereq. However, the lab emphasized skills like how to make a quartile plate (I don't remember the exact term she used, but would recognize it). I would have less hesitation suggesting someone take an online A&P class than microbiology. I felt the cadaver lab in A&P was valuable, but the fact that where I went had one was the exception to the rule in my area, so obviously people can get through it without. Just my experience.

Some schools work with you if you have a degree in regards to non-science pre-reqs. But you honestly won't be ready for pharm school without A&P!

This. :thumbup: How can you expect to learn how drugs effect the body if you don't have a foundation in A&P? Best point in the whole thread, although I have to admit I TL;DR'd it somewhat today.

Really? I thought the answer is "yes, and call the school."

"Hi I am calling because your website says I need to send in all my transcripts but I wanted to know if I have transcripts that I don't want to send in, can I just not send them? They aren't relevant anyway. Hello? Hello?"

I graduated as a business major and am now finishing prereqs. I was told that my 4 semesters of business stat did not meet the requirements. Really WTF?!! So now I have to take some liberal arts "Elementary Stat" bull**** class to meet the requirement. What a load of f-ing crap.

I graduated as a business major and am now finishing prereqs. I was told that my 4 semesters of business stat did not meet the requirements. Really WTF?!! So now I have to take some liberal arts "Elementary Stat" bull**** class to meet the requirement. What a load of f-ing crap.

Well the Stats geared towards a Business degree will be different from the one Science/Math majors will have to do. Once you get to Pharm school you'll be doing a Stats course as it relates to drug research, pharmacy and the medical fields. I can't see how the Business Stats would fit in.

You're right, it does differ by school. For example, NEOMED http://www.neomed.edu/admissions/pharmd doesn't require any kind of anatomy, physiology, or even microbiology. Since a lot of people here suggest anatomy is required for pharmacy school, I assume they just include it in the pharmacy curriculum.

"Hi I am calling because your website says I need to send in all my transcripts but I wanted to know if I have transcripts that I don't want to send in, can I just not send them? They aren't relevant anyway. Hello? Hello?"

:lol:

"Hi I am calling because I really really want to be a pharmacist, but I don't want to take all the classes. Surely there's a shortcut for me? What if I buy you lunch? Hello? Hello?"

No, you do not have to take all the pre-reqs if you do not want to go to pharmacy school.

These threads make me sad :(

These threads make me annoyed and rather disappointed at the caliber of students applying to graduate school. It's a pre-requisite; If you want to attend a certain school, it's required that you take it prior to matriculation.

Then, I become highly amused when I realize that in 5 years, after they finish their degree program, they will complain about the relative ease it is to enter the profession. :D

Hey guys,
I need advice. I graduated with a BA in Poltical Science and now work for CVS Caremark. They will pay for me to attend Pharm School however I need to take the pre-reqs anyone have any suggestions?

Hey guys,
They will pay for me to attend Pharm School however I need to take the pre-reqs anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, my suggestion is take the prerequisites first.:rolleyes: