Do we really need a separate osteopathic subforum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a serious answer, from a DO, most of us probably wouldn't care, just make a subforum at the top.

But it has to be called "Hogwarts College of Osteopathic Medicine".
I will lifetime donate for that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
As a serious answer, from a DO, most of us probably wouldn't care, just make a subforum at the top.

But it has to be called "Hogwarts College of Osteopathic Medicine".

pls Lee. do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would have to be HCom

A general med student forum with osteo subforum is the only logical way to set up this site....the reason it isn't set up that way is because this site was founded by a DO. Having osteo and allo as separate forums helped with the optics that they are "equal" with the added bonus of taking a dig at MDs by calling them allopaths. It can all essentially be boiled down to weiner size.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
A general med student forum with osteo subforum is the only logical way to set up this site....the reason it isn't set up that way is because this site was founded by a DO. Having osteo and allo as separate forums helped with the optics that they are "equal" with the added bonus of taking a dig at MDs by calling them allopaths. It can all essentially be boiled down to weiner size.

So is there hope for me doc? will my weiner size grow since I got accepted to an MD school?

Since when did separation promote equality?

You might go from micro- to mini-weiner

I meant so that osteo would be a "main" forum as opposed to a sub-forum

my_body_is_ready.png

Reactions: 1 user
I meant so that osteo would be a "main" forum as opposed to a sub-forum

If these forums were to merge, would it be just an allo forum with an osteo sub-forum or a med student forum with a separate osteo and allo sub-forums?

If these forums were to merge, would it be just an allo forum with an osteo sub-forum or a med student forum with a separate osteo and allo sub-forums?

That would defeat the purpose.

"Medical students"
-Subforum "MD specific schools"
-Subforum "DO specific schools"
-Subforum "Osteopathic Specific Discussion"

Reactions: 3 users
Interesting how its usually the osteopaths that come into the allopathic forum and not vice versa.
It's because a lot of the things that apply to the allopathic side have relevance to the osteopathic side, but not vice versa. We practice regular medicine but have bone wizard problems in addition that are better addressed in a more focused forum.

That would defeat the purpose.

"Medical students"
-Subforum "MD specific schools"
-Subforum "DO specific schools"
-Subforum "Osteopathic Specific Discussion"
The last two don't have to be separate.

"Medical Students"
-Subforum for allo specific discussions
-Subforum for osteo specific discussions

This really isn't that difficult of a concept to grasp

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's easier to just leave things as-is, personally. There's no big reason to change things, and no great good will come of it.

The last two don't have to be separate.

"Medical Students"
-Subforum for allo specific discussions
-Subforum for osteo specific discussions

This really isn't that difficult of a concept to grasp

the whole point is there's no reason to be have an allo subforum because allo issues affect all medical students, whereas DO students have more DO specific issues.

Reactions: 1 users
the whole point is there's no reason to be have an allo subforum because allo issues affect all medical students, whereas DO students have more DO specific issues.
I'm not saying the sub-forum will be as active as the osteo sub-forum, but surely there are some discussions that can be seen as allo-specific

I'm not saying the sub-forum will be as active as the osteo sub-forum, but surely there are some discussions that can be seen as allo-specific

Like what? Any discussion of residency applications and matching will be relevant to all med students since ACGME will be the only accrediting agency. There are no threads in allo about unchecked school expansion or how the LCME is screwing everyone over. I think right now allo already serves as the general med student forum.

As someone suggested above it would be
Med student forum
- Osteo general subforum
- Allo class threads subforum
- Osteo class threads subforum

So where are we putting the WHOOT WHOOT posts?

It's because a lot of the things that apply to the allopathic side have relevance to the osteopathic side, but not vice versa. We practice regular medicine but have bone wizard problems in addition that are better addressed in a more focused forum.

Just swish n flick brah

I'm still working on the pacing and enunciation. It's always lev-iohsa instead of lehvio-saaah. **** ain't easy

First years be like

1458570143-tumblr-nbjquiqina1twq5y1o9-500.gif

But on my cervical vertebrae

SDN gold here

Then you must annoy yourself. Don't be mad you feel like you settled.

Lol so much elitism coming from you in this thread, yet you rant about social injustice in other threads.

You're a walking hypocrite buddy

Like what? Any discussion of residency applications and matching will be relevant to all med students since ACGME will be the only accrediting agency. There are no threads in allo about unchecked school expansion or how the LCME is screwing everyone over. I think right now allo already serves as the general med student forum.

As someone suggested above it would be
Med student forum
- Osteo general subforum
- Allo class threads subforum
- Osteo class threads subforum

Why would there be separate class thread forums? Just having med student forum, school specific threads sub-forum, and osteo general sub-forum (if people even want that). Why would there need to be separate sub-forums for allo vs. osteo specific classes?

Why would there be separate class thread forums? Just having med student forum, school specific threads sub-forum, and osteo general sub-forum (if people even want that). Why would there need to be separate sub-forums for allo vs. osteo specific classes?

Cause soon enough there will be 500 osteopathic schools and it'll get overwhelming

Reactions: 7 users
Cause soon enough there will be 500 osteopathic schools and it'll get overwhelming

Except there are 31 COCA accredited DO schools and over 140 LCME accredited MD schools. Besides, who actually searches through class specific forums? Just "watch thread" for your class and move on..

Except there are 31 COCA accredited DO schools and over 140 LCME accredited MD schools. Besides, who actually searches through class specific forums? Just "watch thread" for your class and move on..
upload_2017-1-10_23-57-32.png

Shhh don't bring up facts, it's unsettling.

When you take epidemiology (once you've actually started medical school) they'll teach you about how graphs can portray accurate numbers in misleading ways.
I have already taken Epi, and that chart is not terrible, How is that not showing growth ? Number of Graduates have doubled since 95, have allopathic grads doubled since 95?

And a chart on MD graduates would look similar, what's your point?

It is, but the rate of MD expansion isn't much different. 13 new MD schools have opened since 2010, so talking solely about DO expansion is somewhat misguided.
DO graduates have more then doubled since 95, are you saying MD graduates have more then doubled?

DO graduates have more then doubled since 95, are you saying MD graduates have more than*** doubled?

DO graduates also make up a fraction of total graduates. It's easier to double your total number of students when you start with 16 schools than it is when you start with around 75. I'm also not sure why you're looking at growth in terms of percentage instead of raw numbers for this...

DO graduates also make up a fraction of total graduates. It's easier to double your total number of students when you start with 16 schools than it is when you start with around 75. I'm also not sure why you're looking at growth in terms of percentage instead of raw numbers for this...
Because that was the Joke. DO schools have been expanding faster compared to allopathic schools due to lax oversight, so that is why the joke of 500 DO schools makes sense.

And a chart on MD graduates would look similar, what's your point?

It is, but the rate of MD expansion isn't much different. 13 new MD schools have opened since 2010, so talking solely about DO expansion is somewhat misguided.
The rate is not the same when taking into account # of students.... MD schools usually don't start with ~200 students and then open a branch campus the following year. For instance, FIU, FAU and U of Central Florida have opened in the last 10 years and they still accept <350/class combined, and these schools are affiliated with big state university....

Last edited:
The rate is not the same when taking into account # of students.... MD schools usually don't start with ~200 students and then open a branch campus the following year. For instance, FIU, FAU and U of Central Florida have opened in the last 10 years and they still accept <350/class combined, and these schools are affiliated with big state university....

Tbf that's the same with Ohio University. They opened two campuses very recently and the entire class is ~220 iirc. But I see your point with newer DO schools.

No, that technique is no longer reimbursed ... thanks Obamacare.

If there is enough interest, I could combine the forums and create an osteopathic subforum.

Also, posting MD vs X threads needs to quit. This has been discussed by medical students ad nauseum for the past 30+ years. Once in practice, you'll find there are real problems to deal with ... concerns about titles and training are distractions.

In light of some special snowflakes with a false sense of moral superiority who think DO students are "stray dogs" who shouldn't be allowed to post here, I was curious if merging into a single medical student forum was something that has been discussed further by the powers-the-be? Such a move might make it clear to certain individuals that all medical students are welcome to post here, since it has a lot more traffic than the current Osteopathic forum.

Thanks - M.D. student.

In light of some special snowflakes with a false sense of moral superiority who think DO students are "stray dogs" who shouldn't be allowed to post here, I was curious if merging into a single medical student forum was something that has been discussed further by the powers-the-be? Such a move might make it clear to certain individuals that all medical students are welcome to post here, since it has a lot more traffic than the current Osteopathic forum.

Thanks - M.D. student.

I found this picture on the PCOM site under "students practicing OMM on each other"

Chiro_Silverman_CR_1024p-1140237.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

Thanks - M.D. student.
I propose we have a 90 day ban on all posting by DO students and then use extreme vetting to see if we want to let them post. And liberty com is banned for good.

"Based on member feedback, the allopathic and osteopathic medical student forums will merge. Class threads will remain in subforums. Thread markers will be available to designate profession-specific discussions."

I want to applaud the admin and moderator staff for this decision.

Reactions: 10 users
When is the merger going to happen?

Not sure how I feel about this. It was much easier to get 'likes' in the Osteo forum, now I'm competing in a much larger pool

No, that technique is no longer reimbursed ... thanks Obamacare.

If there is enough interest, I could combine the forums and create an osteopathic subforum.

Also, posting MD vs X threads needs to quit. This has been discussed by medical students ad nauseum for the past 30+ years. Once in practice, you'll find there are real problems to deal with ... concerns about titles and training are distractions.

"Based on member feedback, the allopathic and osteopathic medical student forums will merge. Class threads will remain in subforums. Thread markers will be available to designate profession-specific discussions."

I want to applaud the admin and moderator staff for this decision.

Its a little strange for this decision to be made based on a thread in Allo (if that's what happened) when pretty much the only ones affected are the people in Osteo, most of whom don't even know this thread exists. I only wander around Allo when I'm bored and the wait for the match is killing me right now, which is how I found this thread.

I'd like to see an Osteo thread from a mod detailing the proposed change in the Osteo forum, so all the people who use it the most can weigh in if that's possible.

I personally think things are fine the way they are, but a lot of that probably comes from the added annoyance an extra page click will cause me on the mobile version of this site.

As it stands now, Osteo is a forum I can click on directly from the forums page. If it becomes an Allo subforum, I'll have to click through Allo to get there, which is like almost the entire reason I don't like the idea of a change. I also think it will be harder for newcomers to find because of that, but who knows.

I propose we have a 90 day ban on all posting by DO students and then use extreme vetting to see if we want to let them post. And liberty com is banned for good.

Then we should build a new firewall around the allopathic subforum, and have the osteopathic subforum pay for it.

Its a little strange for this decision to be made based on a thread in Allo (if that's what happened) when pretty much the only ones affected are the people in Osteo, most of whom don't even know this thread exists. I only wander around Allo when I'm bored and the wait for the match is killing me right now, which is how I found this thread.

I'd like to see an Osteo thread from a mod detailing the proposed change in the Osteo forum, so all the people who use it the most can weigh in if that's possible.

I personally think things are fine the way they are, but a lot of that probably comes from the added annoyance an extra page click will cause me on the mobile version of this site.

As it stands now, Osteo is a forum I can click on directly from the forums page. If it becomes an Allo subforum, I'll have to click through Allo to get there, which is like almost the entire reason I don't like the idea of a change. I also think it will be harder for newcomers to find because of that, but who knows.
The idea is to consolidate medical school-related threads into one forum so there is more participation about issues that affect all med students. The osteo subforum would really only be for OMM discussion/related issues.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile