DO- What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seediff

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I applied this past cycle and am currently sitting on two MD waitlists. I'm going to reapply DO because my MCAT is a little low for MD. Anyways, here's the breakdown:
  1. cGPA: 3.59, sGPA: 3.5
  2. MCAT: 505 (127,125,127,126)
  3. MA resident
  4. Hispanic
  5. Attended Top 30 university in the south. Graduated December 2016 with a chemistry degree.
  6. Clinical experience: 4500+ hours of clinical experience. Worked as a CNA and EMT since June of 2013, as well as an ED Scribe since January of 2017. My EMT work was as a volunteer on my campus, so roughly 2000 hours volunteering.
  7. Research experience: 3 semesters doing quantum dot research and characterization in a physical chemistry laboratory. No papers published
  8. Worked as a resident adviser for 1 year in college. Did a consulting internship with a fortune 500 company creating a zero-waste plan for their company (I know, kinda random). Worked as a teaching assistant for a graduate level science course.
  9. Deans list 7/8 semesters. Volunteer Service honor roll 7/8 semester.
Currently my DO list is:
- Campbell
- Chicago
- VCOM (Carolinas and Virginia)
- DeBusk
- MSUCOM
- PCOM
- Pikeville (KCOM)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated; thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest deleting MSUCOM (likes ISers), and adding UNECOM, NYITCOM, PCOM, MUCOM, (any other DO school except Touro-NY and LUCOM) and:

U MA,
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland U Beaumont

Loyola

WVU

MCW

Creighton

VCU

Albany

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Spanish (so not URM). I am an intermediate Spanish speaker and I know a bit of French. As for volunteer, my EMT work on campus was my primary. I also traveled to Honduras to run a free medical clinic in Tegucigalpa. I have also volunteered intermittently with Habitat for Humanity.

Last edited:
I'm Spanish (so not URM). I am an intermediate Spanish speaker and I know a bit of French. As for volunteer, my EMT work on campus was my primary. I also traveled to Honduras to run a free medical clinic in Tegucigalpa. I have also volunteered intermittently with Habitat for Humanity.
Where did you interview?

Any idea what happened?
In a lot of threads I've seen, there's been not a lot of waitlist movement. I'm still sitting on WFU and UVM, but never heard from UC. I really think my low MCAT was tough for MD schools to swallow.

In a lot of threads I've seen, there's been not a lot of waitlist movement. I'm still sitting on WFU and UVM, but never heard from UC. I really think my low MCAT was tough for MD schools to swallow.
Have you contacted them?

I see. Have you had mock interviews?
Never did any mock interviews. I would probably benefit from one. I have always thought of myself as a strong interviewer, but obviously that may be incorrect.