DO- What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

seediff

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys, I applied this past cycle and am currently sitting on two MD waitlists. I'm going to reapply DO because my MCAT is a little low for MD. Anyways, here's the breakdown:
  1. cGPA: 3.59, sGPA: 3.5
  2. MCAT: 505 (127,125,127,126)
  3. MA resident
  4. Hispanic
  5. Attended Top 30 university in the south. Graduated December 2016 with a chemistry degree.
  6. Clinical experience: 4500+ hours of clinical experience. Worked as a CNA and EMT since June of 2013, as well as an ED Scribe since January of 2017. My EMT work was as a volunteer on my campus, so roughly 2000 hours volunteering.
  7. Research experience: 3 semesters doing quantum dot research and characterization in a physical chemistry laboratory. No papers published
  8. Worked as a resident adviser for 1 year in college. Did a consulting internship with a fortune 500 company creating a zero-waste plan for their company (I know, kinda random). Worked as a teaching assistant for a graduate level science course.
  9. Deans list 7/8 semesters. Volunteer Service honor roll 7/8 semester.
Currently my DO list is:
- Campbell
- Chicago
- VCOM (Carolinas and Virginia)
- DeBusk
- MSUCOM
- PCOM
- Pikeville (KCOM)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated; thanks!
 
I suggest deleting MSUCOM (likes ISers), and adding UNECOM, NYITCOM, PCOM, MUCOM, (any other DO school except Touro-NY and LUCOM) and:

U MA,
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland U Beaumont

Loyola

WVU

MCW

Creighton

VCU

Albany
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm Spanish (so not URM). I am an intermediate Spanish speaker and I know a bit of French. As for volunteer, my EMT work on campus was my primary. I also traveled to Honduras to run a free medical clinic in Tegucigalpa. I have also volunteered intermittently with Habitat for Humanity.
 
Last edited:
I'm Spanish (so not URM). I am an intermediate Spanish speaker and I know a bit of French. As for volunteer, my EMT work on campus was my primary. I also traveled to Honduras to run a free medical clinic in Tegucigalpa. I have also volunteered intermittently with Habitat for Humanity.
Where did you interview?
 
Any idea what happened?
In a lot of threads I've seen, there's been not a lot of waitlist movement. I'm still sitting on WFU and UVM, but never heard from UC. I really think my low MCAT was tough for MD schools to swallow.