Do you have to take analytical chem at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeddreamsgone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My schools suggested premed route is very weird. In fact, in order to take Orgo II Lab, Analytical chemistry (lecture & lab) is a pre req.

Are most schools like this? I thought analytical wasn't usually a premed requirement...but it seems like there's no way i can get out of it since i need orgo 2

Members don't see this ad.

Check a few med school requirements and see. Most that I looked at did not require anything higher than orgo so maybe you dont even need to take orgo 2

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

very bizarre, I haven't heard of that nor would I expect that

at my school AChem is required for some majors like chemistry or biochemistry, but not as a prereq for orgo and not for pre-med students (no med school I have ever heard of has analytic chemistry as a requirement; some recommend PChem but also don't require)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling we went to the same undergrad :) I had to suffer through analytical and lab just to be eligible for Orgo II lab

Reactions: 1 user
A chem has zero relevance for o chem 2 and the only relevance for med school is its application of basic stats. No idea why your school would do that.

I have a feeling we went to the same undergrad :) I had to suffer through analytical and lab just to be eligible for Orgo II lab
It stinks!! I'm thinking of just doing Orgo II Lab at another state university nearby so I don't have to go through analytical. It seems highly irrelevant tbh and its just more classes on top of my completely unrelated major (anthropology)

Honestly I would not even bother. I would just take Orgo 2 lab at another university as you said.

No unless you're a biochem or Chem major.