Aug 11, 2016
My schools suggested premed route is very weird. In fact, in order to take Orgo II Lab, Analytical chemistry (lecture & lab) is a pre req.

Are most schools like this? I thought analytical wasn't usually a premed requirement...but it seems like there's no way i can get out of it since i need orgo 2

dafuturesurgeon

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Check a few med school requirements and see. Most that I looked at did not require anything higher than orgo so maybe you dont even need to take orgo 2

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

TheBiologist

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
very bizarre, I haven't heard of that nor would I expect that

at my school AChem is required for some majors like chemistry or biochemistry, but not as a prereq for orgo and not for pre-med students (no med school I have ever heard of has analytic chemistry as a requirement; some recommend PChem but also don't require)

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
For my major? Yes. Not a premed in sight though

aymar

2+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I have a feeling we went to the same undergrad :) I had to suffer through analytical and lab just to be eligible for Orgo II lab

Reactions: premeddreamsgone

NotYou20

5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2012
Status
Medical Student
A chem has zero relevance for o chem 2 and the only relevance for med school is its application of basic stats. No idea why your school would do that.

OP
P
Aug 11, 2016
I have a feeling we went to the same undergrad :) I had to suffer through analytical and lab just to be eligible for Orgo II lab
It stinks!! I'm thinking of just doing Orgo II Lab at another state university nearby so I don't have to go through analytical. It seems highly irrelevant tbh and its just more classes on top of my completely unrelated major (anthropology)

starspells

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 28, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Honestly I would not even bother. I would just take Orgo 2 lab at another university as you said.