"Do you plan on a career in private practice or academics?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heading into the interview season for ophtho, sorry if this is the wrong subforum!

Truth be told, I see myself in private practice, but could definitely see myself doing a bit of teaching as well. However, I don't see myself at an academic powerhouse, where research time exceeds clinical responsibilities.. How should I answer this question if it comes up? I don't want to close any doors by telling an academic center that I want to be in private practice. Would appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your best answer is right there...

, I see myself in private practice, but could definitely see myself doing a bit of teaching as well. However, I don't see myself at an academic powerhouse, where research time exceeds clinical responsibilities..

There are a lot of us that are primarily private practice but do a some teaching on a part time basis.

Reactions: 3 users
Be honest.

Despite the fact that I told everyone on the interview trail that I wanted to do academics (I did end up there), when I hear applicants answer the question "Academics, I want to teach". I pretty much take it as them saying "I'm not sure". I'd rather hear a solid "I'm not sure" or "private practice".

Of course, if they have a history to back up a commitment to teaching/research/academics and say that is their goal, then it's all good.

Your answer is fine because you give the caveat that you like teaching. You have to keep in mind that academicians are the ones interviewing you, so you don't want to disrespect their career choice.

Just say you don't know. If you want to expand, admit that you've only ever really seen academic medical centers and aren't sure what private practice would really be like, which makes it hard to decide right now. You can further - truthfully I would point out - add that your first goal is to be a great clinician for your future patients and that anything you do beyond that (teaching, research) would be an added bonus.

Reactions: 1 user