Do you really need health insurance if attending UF??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmv

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
For all the UF pharm students...do we need health insurance..if so, does anyone know of a cheap one?? does the school have its own health insurance availible?

Members don't see this ad.

pharmv said:
Hey guys,
For all the UF pharm students...do we need health insurance..if so, does anyone know of a cheap one?? does the school have its own health insurance availible?

Can we pay for health insurance long enough to prove we have it... and then cancel it after we start class? ;)

I would not recommend going without at least major medical. I know personally that a simple outpatient, 30 minute surgery can cost $6K. Not counting any of the follow up.

Most schools have insurance they endorse or have a contract with a company to offer low cost insurance. Mine is through the school and is around $70/month.

Members don't see this ad :)
pharmv said:
Hey guys,

:eek: I'm always a little shocked when I hear of a prehealth science student with no insurance. Routine surgery can cost beyond $25k, not including hospital stay, and people without insurance get screwed worse than anyone.

If you're under 35 and have no major medical condition health insurance can be (relatively) cheap. If you're worried about the price and don't think you'll use it except for emergency just carry a high deductable policy. You can get coverage for under $60/month in many places with a $10k deductable. However, your best bet is probably going to be through your school...but not necessarily.

You can search prices here: www.ehealthinsurance.com

It is a new requirement this year. I don't know how they're going to go about checking but they did stress that it's a new requirement. They've worked out plans w/ UCF if students go to the Orlando campus. It definately is a better safe than sorry approach. I know when we go on rotations they're very particular. Also, you'll have to get titers this year which is new.

Trancelucent1 said:
It is a new requirement this year. I don't know how they're going to go about checking but they did stress that it's a new requirement. They've worked out plans w/ UCF if students go to the Orlando campus. It definately is a better safe than sorry approach. I know when we go on rotations they're very particular. Also, you'll have to get titers this year which is new.

For the St. Pete campus, the agreement is with USF in Tampa. I suppose Jax students can just go to Shands across the street from campus.

Trancelucent1 said:

what are titers?

pharmv said:
what are titers?
Haven't had biology or immunology yet? or is that a joke? Either way, it's the level of antibodies in your serum. It's to see if you have been vaccinated/or had the disease in question. If you have a high enough level you don't have to get vaccines or boosters again, if you don't need them.

Falokis said:
Haven't had biology or immunology yet? or is that a joke? Either way, it's the level of antibodies in your serum. It's to see if you have been vaccinated/or had the disease in question. If you have a high enough level you don't have to get vaccines or boosters again, if you don't need them.

Didn't really need that smart a$$ remark in the begining...just a simple question that patmcd answered well enough. If I have to deal with students like you in my first year that thinks they know it all and tries to belittle a person by insulting their intelligence...then im not going to make any friends..

pharmv said:
Didn't really need that smart a$$ remark in the begining...just a simple question that patmcd answered well enough. If I have to deal with students like you in my first year that thinks they know it all and tries to belittle a person by insulting their intelligence...then im not going to make any friends..
I think you are taking my post wrong. I thought you were joking (and being a smart ass). I wasn't calling you stupid. I was really just trying to figure out if you were serious or not. Sorry.

Falokis said:
I think you are taking my post wrong. I thought you were joking (and being a smart ass). I wasn't calling you stupid. I was really just trying to figure out if you were serious or not. Sorry.

Sorry that I took it the wrong way..