Do you think I'll have to retake it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dogs-are-cool-too

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scheduled the MCAT for July 9th this year, I am planning on applying to both graduate programs and medical schools in the fall. My gpa is pretty messed up because I was involved in a major car accident a few weeks before midterms last semester, and my best friend was killed the week of our first exams during the same semester (my professors that semester had monthly exams). My grades aren't terrible but they're not med school good in my opinion (higher than a 3.0 but lower than a 3.5 after the end of this semester). I got 3C+'s and an A- last semester and i had a couple of C's before that in the first couple of semesters, but I had an upward trend which was totally ruined by Fall 2015. As of right now I'm looking at most likely getting A's and A-'s this semester.
ANYWAYS, if I don't get into medical school and do go to graduate school to raise my GPA first will I have to, or should I retake the MCAT before re-applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how long it takes you to get through grad school. Most med schools accept scores within the last 3 yrs of the application yr

Depends on how long it takes you to get through grad school. Most med schools accept scores within the last 3 yrs of the application yr
So if I'm done by 2019 I should be fine.
tbh retaking it won't be a HUGE deal, just a little annoying.
MCAT scores are valid for 3 years, I think.
How about doing a Postbacc program to raise your gpa?
Post Bacc programs would just make me retake pre-med classes and MD schools average the grade, which isn't really worth it. I'm not going into primary care so I dont really see the point of going to a D.O school,but I am applying to them anyway (so obviously if I have to end up going to one I'm not going to let 2 letters stop me from become a doctor lol) plus there's the appeal of being the most educated person in my family if I have to go to grad school (my grandfather has two master's degree's so if I get a master's and an MD/DO I'd beat him)