*DO YOU UNDERSTAND YOU HAVE NO JOBS WAITING?*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dont want provider status unless it comes with a massive pay increase. not going to happen

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont want provider status unless it comes with a massive pay increase. not going to happen

Dude, if we got provider status , TRUE provider status..... take off and open a private practice! do INR monitoring, Dosing adjustments , MTM's....everything and bill, bill, bill for your services....split the office with a buddy and go halves....who knows right? could be fun and lucrative...

I love to see this thread still going.... i started it like a year ago, probably after a bad day at work!

Members don't see this ad :)
I put bactroban on a kid after cutting himself on a shopping cart and got 5th degree from corporate so the idea of us providing cognitive services or provider status is a joke if they won't even let us do basic first aid.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't looked at this thread in a while - has anyone talked about retail pharmacy residencies yet?
On that note, I've also received emails recently with advertisements for becoming certified in Prior Authorizations haha.

i work in a hospital so I really dont give a f about giving flu shots and what not.

i work in a hospital so I really dont give a f about giving flu shots and what not.

yeah because the money for shots is in retail. Merck, Pfizer, Sanofi, Lilly....etc. all dont care about hospitals....lol

I put bactroban on a kid after cutting himself on a shopping cart and got 5th degree from corporate so the idea of us providing cognitive services or provider status is a joke if they won't even let us do basic first aid.

While i agree with your treatment......where did you get the bactroban from? if it was from the pharmacy stock that could be an issue. I'm just looking at both sides of the coin.....you did the right thing helping someone out who was hurt.....thats the bottom line, but if it was with company rx he was not prescribed, of course your gonna get holla'd at!

While i agree with your treatment......where did you get the bactroban from? if it was from the pharmacy stock that could be an issue. I'm just looking at both sides of the coin.....you did the right thing helping someone out who was hurt.....thats the bottom line, but if it was with company rx he was not prescribed, of course your gonna get holla'd at!
Really you guyz....the corporate world is NOT your friend...They only care about the kid if the parents sue...Contrary to your esteemed prof's, we are in a borderline medical profession..You can get away with this type of thing out in the sticks with a private owner..but at some megacorp dump....see 5th degree above...The video is always watching,

I mean I hate to arm chair quarterback (ok that's a lie, I love to!) but why use a legend drug when there are tons of good OTC options? Was there a compelling reason to use bactroban rather than neosporin?

Reactions: 2 users
I mean I hate to arm chair quarterback (ok that's a lie, I love to!) but why use a legend drug when there are tons of good OTC options? Was there a compelling reason to use bactroban rather than neosporin?

Because MD can bill for an office visit if he writes for bactroban. Pharmacist can bill for dispensing bactroban. Wal-Mart is the one making a profit on the neosporin.

Because MD can bill for an office visit if he writes for bactroban. Pharmacist can bill for dispensing bactroban. Wal-Mart is the one making a profit on the neosporin.

What an interesting answer to a question I didn't mean to ask. I will rephrase my question. Was there a reason in this case to grab bactroban instead of neosporin?

Really you guyz....the corporate world is NOT your friend...They only care about the kid if the parents sue...Contrary to your esteemed prof's, we are in a borderline medical profession..You can get away with this type of thing out in the sticks with a private owner..but at some megacorp dump....see 5th degree above...The video is always watching,

You talking to me? i'm def aware not to give anyone meds without a rx....??

Members don't see this ad :)
What an interesting answer to a question I didn't mean to ask. I will rephrase my question. Was there a reason in this case to grab bactroban instead of neosporin?

Sorry I thought it was a broad question.

Dude, if we got provider status , TRUE provider status..... take off and open a private practice! do INR monitoring, Dosing adjustments , MTM's....everything and bill, bill, bill for your services....split the office with a buddy and go halves....who knows right? could be fun and lucrative...

People roll up to the drive thru window with a Starbucks in one hand, Big Mac + fries in the other and argue about their $1 rx copay. You think they'll actually get out of the car and pay to meet with a pharmacist? LoL.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Thought I grabbed bactracin

People roll up to the drive thru window with a Starbucks in one hand, Big Mac + fries in the other and argue about their $1 rx copay. You think they'll actually get out of the car and pay to meet with a pharmacist? LoL.

Well if we have a clinic yeah. they have them in Florida, i did a rotation at one for INR monitoring.....but as per ususal everything was backed by a MD who has REAL provider status....

I think pharmacists are picky about the positions they work in because they will not attain something more if they are not. and We have so few Board Certified individuals in those specialties (253 across the United States have a BCCP) because the majority of pharmacists default to retail, managed care, or order entry and do not keep up the skill sets they gained during pharmacy school.
Actually, BCCP has only been around for less than 2 years, being established in 2017. That's astonishing that 253 have been churned out in that short a time. The explosion in board certifications that started about 10 years ago and is set to continue with two more types of certification coming up in the next couple years is a symptom of the overall problem. There are too many pharmacists competing for too few openings, so the credentials race comes in handy. Most of the jobs don't even utilize the basic PharmD skills but since PharmD is now baseline, jobs that require a bit more than your standard retail/hospital staffing position now want to differentiate with going for extra credentials. Credential inflation, just like PGY-2 and PGY-3 Color me unimpressed.

Reactions: 3 users
I don’t agree with your plan necessarily (though you must not care enough about pharmacy to go all the way so better you stop now) but it’s coincidental, my husband just left his job in sales to pursue coding. Though, he has experience coding and has wanted to do it for a long time. What’s funnier is that he’s deciding between DevMountain or self learning...So you probably live within hours of us.

Edit: The other weird thing is that a lot of the pharmacy naysayers say to become a software engineer or coder. While I like computers, that is a huge leap from pharmacy. So does that mean everyone is only interested in pharmacy for the potential salary? My next choices would be a chemistry PhD and medical lab science BS. They make roughly 80,000 a year. I would assume people switching from pharmacy would go either science (such as a biology or chemistry PhD) or medicine such as PA or MD. Why coding? Very different field...
Because not many can take on extra debt to pursue MD or PA without having a job in pharmacy. Coding is short and costs way less than going to school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not everyone in IT has an easy time finding a job either. Don't know much about it, but in discussions about job searches on LinkedIn, there are certainly IT people who have been out and looking for months on end. So I would not be so sure it is a golden ticket without further exploring the job market for specific functions. There are plenty of cushy IT jobs with great perks, true, but are they the unicorns or the norm? There are plenty of cushy jobs with great perks for PharmDs too, for all the good that it does for new grads looking for their first job...

Reactions: 4 users
The average IT or programming job is pretty much a unicorn job for pharmacists. You tend to get a chair and desk, M-F 9-5 hours, and *gasp* lunch and bathroom breaks!

Until programmers and IT professionals are forced to work for 12+ hours straight with no bathroom breaks I will continue to encourage prospective students to choose programming over pharmacy.

Reactions: 3 users
Even people doing IT people are starting to show some struggles from what my friend told me. Their company apparently has been increasingly outsourcing all their jobs to Asia cause well, you get the same work done for anywhere from 30%-60% the cost.

Even people doing IT people are starting to show some struggles from what my friend told me. Their company apparently has been increasingly outsourcing all their jobs to Asia cause well, you get the same work done for anywhere from 30%-60% the cost.

Many companies did this in the early 2000s and failed. The jobs had to be brought back.

Many companies did this in the early 2000s and failed. The jobs had to be brought back.
I'm not sure if there is only an imposed limit of jobs that can be outsourced but it is still very common in many fields. It is still fairly common for computer related jobs in the US such as IT, video game design or support related jobs in general. I dread when my pharmacy has software issues because PrimeRx pretty much outsourced all their support staff so I have no idea what they are asking for half the time.

Over half my class didn't have jobs after school... What makes you guys think it will be different by 2022/2023?

About half my class went into residency (aka fake jobs) then I would say 25% got jobs and the other 25% are currently jobless.

The average IT or programming job is pretty much a unicorn job for pharmacists. You tend to get a chair and desk, M-F 9-5 hours, and *gasp* lunch and bathroom breaks!

Until programmers and IT professionals are forced to work for 12+ hours straight with no bathroom breaks I will continue to encourage prospective students to choose programming over pharmacy.
In most IT companies, there is no set schedule. You just meet deadlines

Lol there's a reason why there's a lot of grounded 737 max right now.

Don't count on provider status as a silver bullet. We've tried for decades to reverse choices made by our predecessors that limited pharmacist scope of practice. NPs and PAs have already cemented their spot as the go-to mid-level providers in clinics and hospitals, and their organizations are far more aggressive in their lobbying efforts than ours. And if provider status does happen, expect all the major chains to capitalize by adding more metrics while cutting staff to improve their bottom line for shareholders. Because we have little leverage, the benefits don't accrue to us.

The only people I would recommend pharmacy to are those who have worked in a retail pharmacy >6 months and like doing it, can come out with debt <100k and who are also OK with a risk-adjusted salary of $60k/year (assuming $45/hr base, 32hr work week, 20% chance of unemployment). That would be the typical outcome for a graduate.

To add to this: provider status itself is limited. Provider status is not "status" at all, simply eligibility for reimbursement of healthcare services. Eligibility does not mean getting paid; it means pharmacists are "on the list."

Even if provider status was approved, it would not be a status symbol. Specific regulations will prevent pharmacists from providing these services on an adequate level and providers do not want to "share" the workload. I am expecting this already; however, what do we do about it?

It's already happened my friend....look around.

I was trying to make light of the situation. I knew already, but everyone likes to use flowery language to explain what is already happening. It is a common practice for individuals to underestimate issues and downplay their significance. Even the schools and peers that are already working are "grateful" to be working at this point. It is a sad state of affairs.

What I was discussing was the suspension of the PharmD degree in the United States to follow that of India. Has that already happened? Considering the completed 2018 NAPLEX pass rates, it does not look like the US will suspend the PharmD degree or the concept of marketing "hope" to matriculating students.

Last edited:
To add to this: provider status itself is limited. Provider status is not "status" at all, simply eligibility for reimbursement of healthcare services. Eligibility does not mean getting paid; it means pharmacists are "on the list."

Even if provider status was approved, it would not be a status symbol. Specific regulations will prevent pharmacists from providing these services on an adequate level and providers do not want to "share" the workload. I am expecting this already; however, what do we do about it?

I was trying to make light of the situation. I knew already, but everyone likes to use flowery language to explain what is already happening. It is a common practice for individuals to underestimate issues and downplay their significance. Even the schools and peers that are already working are "grateful" to be working at this point. It is a sad state of affairs.

What I was discussing was the suspension of the PharmD degree in the United States to follow that of India. Has that already happened? Considering the completed 2018 NAPLEX pass rates, it does not look like the US will suspend the PharmD degree or the concept of marketing "hope" to matriculating students.
There is too much money involved to stop schools, but if more students drop seats and do not attend pharmacy school. The schools will be forced to shut down, eventually.
What’s the point of provider status? NPs and PAs already fill the physician gap shortage and actually get paid/reimbursed for it.

There is too much money involved to stop schools, but if more students drop seats and do not attend pharmacy school. The schools will be forced to shut down, eventually.
What’s the point of provider status? NPs and PAs already fill the physician gap shortage and actually get paid/reimbursed for it.
It's the moral victory for the profession and the proverbial "F&$% YOU" to other HCPs. That's pretty much it.

It's just fodder that the schools feed to naive pre-pharms. Easy money for them.

It's the moral victory for the profession and the proverbial "F&$% YOU" to other HCPs. That's pretty much it.

Does it really say that to other professions? Would they even notice or understand its implications?

Does it really say that to other professions? Would they even notice or understand its implications?
They'll notice it but not understand its implications. When you focus on getting a seat at the table as opposed to what you will actually contribute with a seat at the table, you will never be able to build a solid value statement.