"Doc" to Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lancecorpsman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any corpsman who went to medical school after serving? If so, what is your story? Where did you do your pre-med? What medical school? Back to military medicine or civilian?

I'm still going through pre-med, just wanted to know if anybody has gone through a similar path as me.

Members don't see this ad.

My good friend at undergrad was an Army medic, got out and went to undergrad, currently M1 at Brown and not pursuing military medicine. I'm in the Marine Corps reserves and interested in going in to military medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
I was Marine Corps enlisted infantry (0351) and went on to college and medical school, graduated a few years ago

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Go to a good brick and mortar 4 year university. Get good grades. Major irrelevant. Take a MCAT prep course. Get a good score. Don't let anyone convince you that there are shortcuts here. Thanks for your service and good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. I got my AS and BS and whatever medical school allowed me in, that's where I went.

Are you practicing in the military? Did being a corpsman benefit getting into medical school?

I was Marine Corps enlisted infsantry (0351) and went on to college and medical school, graduated a few years ago

Grunt to doc! Nice, are you practicing in the military?

I'm currently in the army, different from the marines that's for sure

Do you like being a provider? What did you specialize in, and are military residency programs pretty limited?

I trained as a medic before going to the army practical nurse course. I was already in undergrad when I joined and just took a leave for training and was in the reserves through medical school (which was how I ended up getting deployed during my third year of med school). My performance in training as well as my performance in undergrad after finishing (which I attribute to the focus and discipline training in the army gave me) helped me get in to med school. I know it made my application interesting at least because it was commented upon favorably when I applied to med school (which was pre 9/11 so I would guess nowadays people are more likely to look favorably upon prior service). Not necessarily enough for it to be a reason to join, but better than a kick in the ass. Was thinking about HPSP but then I got a scholarship through my med school and decided I was tired of the bureaucracy involved with serving so ended up staying civilian.

Reactions: 1 user