'Doctor Of Osteopathic Medicine: A Growing Share Of The Physician Workforce'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those comments tho. Just a bit infuriating. Debating putting the smackdown on that fool.

Edit: well they look a lot better now. It was only 'Lani' before basically.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Article: “all DOs will now need to have the same quality of training as MDs!”

Commenter: “I hope the doctors who treat me when I get old aren’t inferiorly trained DOs!”

Reactions: 1 user
Lani is a savage. Good to know I'm being trained to be a "bargain basement" physician who is automatically "less skilled" than my (future) MD counterparts. I guess never realized the separate hospital entrances for DOs and MDs.

HFZVmzx.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Lani is a savage. Good to know I'm being trained to be a "bargain basement" physician who is automatically "less skilled" than my (future) MD counterparts.

I'm slightly rustled.

HFZVmzx.png
Hey at least we are good enough for ear infections!! Gotta master that earwax digger thing!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey at least we are good enough for ear infections!! Gotta master that earwax digger thing!

And maybe if I’m lucky, one of those smrt MDs will teach me how use that there stetherscope to look in the ear.

That’s what it’s for, right?

Reactions: 9 users
Lani is a savage. Good to know I'm being trained to be a "bargain basement" physician who is automatically "less skilled" than my (future) MD counterparts. I guess never realized the separate hospital entrances for DOs and MDs.

HFZVmzx.png
I don't normally cause cranial dysfunctions over the internet, I save that kind of dastardly thing for practicals when I need a dysfunction. But I think it may be time. What MD is gonna fix your SBS now Lani! Chronic 'idiopathic' headache for the win; AND FOR LIFE!!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
It's time to explain to those imbeciles the approach they understand best - money. Money talks. A good education costs money. Based on that criteria DO is way above MD. Surely he don't want to be treated by a cheap ass MD. I pay for my DO education in 1 year more than some MD schools charge for 4 years. We DOs are elite. Look at Trump - he is a rich guy and a president of USA. Look at all famous and successful people - they are all rich and have money. This is a standard that should be implanted into the brains of people like that - next time he comes for a ear pain visit - tell him to go see MD as he can't afford DO

I haven't revisited a single damn thing in Ochem through my days in medical school so far. What a useless class!!!

I think one semester of it is necessary to have an adequate appreciation of biochemistry at the undergraduate level, which subsequently helps in medical school. But two is unnecessary, similarly to how physics could be condensed into a single semester of relevant topics.

Reactions: 4 users
These articles and comments are disheartening. What we should be do is uniting against midlevels, especially NPs

I think one semester of it is necessary to have an adequate appreciation of biochemistry at the undergraduate level, which subsequently helps in medical school. But two is unnecessary, similarly to how physics could be condensed into a single semester of relevant topics.
Or at least drop the physics lab requirement. That was the most useless yet time consuming credit I ever worked for in college.

Maybe I'm just a part of the machine now, but while not directly useful, I actually thought O-chem and physics were interesting in that it required a type of thinking that most hadn't encountered yet in their education. Not to mention the humbling difficulty.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Or at least drop the physics lab requirement. That was the most useless yet time consuming credit I ever worked for in college.

Maybe I'm just a part of the machine now, but while not directly useful, I actually thought O-chem and physics were interesting in that it required a type of thinking that most hadn't encountered yet in their education. Not to mention the humbling difficulty.

I think that there's some legitimate value in the capacity of hard classes to push the boundaries and bring about new forms of thinking. But that's my inner child psychologist speaking.

These articles and comments are disheartening. What we should be do is uniting against midlevels, especially NPs
**** midlevels. We are doctors. Don't ally with the help just because some people are dumb

Looking forward to that day!!!
Yeah but after that day comes the one where we contract d/t MD school expansion in US (which is slower but happening). Hopefully by having more DO's everywhere we will be able to tone down the bias, and not let ourselves get partially forced out like the Caribbean has.

When exactly is that happening - 2021?
More like 2022, 23. Remember DO schools have a higher attrition rate in general. I can only extrapolate from match lists but at my school something like 80% graduate on time, and 91-92% overall within 6 years, and I would guess its not better at the new schools for the most part. So that 8% loss is probably a good guess from the entering class numbers. We have enough incoming in 2018 for all the slots to be gone between USMD and DO, but reality is it might take a year or two longer for that actually to happen.

I have to give my school credit, they have started sponsoring new slots (pretty much small hosp IM and FM, but I am sure any med school grad would rather have that over nothing). Hopefully more DO schools will do this as well.

Last edited:

HFZVmzx.png

Lani’s writing style reminds me of a certain someone...

HFZVmzx.png
There's a reason why Dr. Nick is my hero. I'll wipe my tears with all those benjamins from the mean words LOL

Reactions: 2 users
More like 2022, 23. Remember DO schools have a higher attrition rate in general. I can only extrapolate from match lists but at my school something like 80% graduate on time, and 91-92% overall within 6 years, and I would guess its not better at the new schools for the most part. So that 8% loss is probably a good guess from the entering class numbers. We have enough incoming in 2018 for all the slots to be gone between USMD and DO, but reality is it might take a year or two longer for that actually to happen.

I have to give my school credit, they have started sponsoring new slots (pretty much small hosp IM and FM, but I am sure any med school grad would rather have that over nothing). Hopefully more DO schools will do this as well.

I think there'll be more time than that. Total first yr US med students in 2017 are 29143. Taking into account attrition (~4% for MD, ~8% for DO), that's 27653 total grads in 2021. Assuming stagnation of residency spots, there's at least 31850 1st yr spots in the NRMP and AOA matches (in 2017). This is not including other matches (mil, SF, etc.). Given that some of those AOA spots might be gone, but also that residency growth has been >1% annually across the board, I think we'll be ok until about 2028-2030. This is again assuming no major changes in residency positions.

I think there'll be more time than that. Total first yr US med students in 2017 are 29143. Taking into account attrition (~4% for MD, ~8% for DO), that's 27653 total grads in 2021. Assuming stagnation of residency spots, there's at least 31850 1st yr spots in the NRMP and AOA matches (in 2017). This is not including other matches (mil, SF, etc.). Given that some of those AOA spots might be gone, but also that residency growth has been >1% annually across the board, I think we'll be ok until about 2028-2030. This is again assuming no major changes in residency positions.
31850 categorical spots available? That is about 2k more than I thought there was. That would indeed buy us several more years.

31850 categorical spots available? That is about 2k more than I thought there was. That would indeed buy us several more years.
That account was for a stagnant residency situation. Every year there are new spots opening. What they mean when they say crunch is that the amount of new spots is not a 1:1 ratio with new graduates. Trouble might loom later than 2030 assuming the current trend. There will also be a push to have US students match first then Carib/FMG in a second match. Honestly, there's no reason to give an international a seat above an American graduate, and I'm sure someone will try to point out unicorn FMG that cures every cancer vs LUCOM 5 board failures but in real life doesn't exist.