Document a very short shadowing experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWannabeMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This past April, I had the opportunity to shadow a doctor in the ER of a local children's hospital through a friend of a friend. I was in my first year of college and I am now about to enter my second year. I shadowed under the pretense of a confused college student who wasn't sure if pre med was for her, so I only set up one shadowing day, and thats what he was offering anyway (which I will forever be infinitely grateful for because I discovered that being a physician seems like the path for me!).
Anyway, the shadowing was only for 5 hours, about 3 months ago. Yes I should have done this sooner, but I guess I've passed that now. Should I send him an email requesting some sort of documentation of this shadowing, or since it was such a short amount of time, not bother? Even though it was such a short time, it was quite significant for me. And if I should document it, should I write a small paragraph saying "____ shadowed me on April 3, 2017" for him to sign or should I ask him how other shadowers have had him document experiences in the past?

I greatly appreciate any and all insight! Very new to navigating the complex waters of pre med, and I'm just trying to learn :)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't ask him for documentation. Create a MS Word doc and document it yourself. Include, dates, hours, contact info, location, and a brief description of your experience. This will also make applying a lot easier (when the time comes). If anyone wants to verify it, they can contact him directly.

Edit: for future references, do not request shadowing verification from a physician regardless of how long you shadowed them for (unless specifically asked by someone like an adcom, but I don't see that happening).

Reactions: 1 user
Create a MS Word doc and document it yourself. Include, dates, hours, contact info, location, and a brief description of your experience. This will also make applying a lot easier (when the time comes).
This. Plus, write down the physicians' names (if someone else is the contact. like an office manager or nurse) and specialties.

Don't ask him for documentation. Create a MS Word doc and document it yourself. Include, dates, hours, contact info, location, and a brief description of your experience. This will also make applying a lot easier (when the time comes). If anyone wants to verify it, they can contact him directly.

Edit: for future references, do not request shadowing verification from a physician regardless of how long you shadowed them for (unless specifically asked by someone like an adcom, but I don't see that happening).
This. Plus, write down the physicians' names (if someone else is the contact. like an office manager or nurse) and specialties.

Thank you both so much! I wasn't sure if med schools were looking for verified shadowing hours or if just names, dates, contact info, etc. would suffice. Much appreciated! :)

Reactions: 1 user