Does a clinical elective in a US institution based abroad reflect positively on residency applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simplespring

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Would anyone know whether doing a clinical elective in a US-institution based internationally would reflect positively on US residency applications?
For example, Cleveland Clinic London, Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, Cleveland Clinic Canada

We're told that US Clinical Experience (USCE) is an important component for residency applications especially for IMGs. If in the case one could not get the chance to train in the US, would doing an elective in such institutions help their application in any way? Or would it not make much of a difference? Though of course, I can't imagine it hurting an application either...

This might be a question no one has the answer to... but thought I'd give it a shot!

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

probably reflects neutrally, i doubt it really matters, that is unless you can get a good LOR from somebody renowned who works there?

Reactions: 1 user
probably reflects neutrally,

I agree that, in general, this is probably neutral. Where you can really use it to your benefit is in interviews, essays, etc, assuming that some aspect of the rotation has been influential to you or will help make you a better doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would look at a few programs that you’d like to go to.

Many programs have an application instructions page. Many will state what they’re looking for, and give additional information for IMG candidates.

From what I saw on psych programs, the program specifically were looking for at domestic rotations. None I ran into said anything specifically about US institutions abroad.

Here is the UNC section on IMG applicants for psych:

IMG Applicants are required to:
  • have a J-1 visa (UNC Health Care does not sponsor H-1B visas)
  • hold a current ECFMG Certificate (be certified by January 31st)
  • obtain a passing USMLE score in no more than two attempts (average USMLE scores for current IMG residents are 203 for Step 1 and 214 for Step 2)
  • have at least six months of U.S. clinical experience and not be away from medical school, externships, or active practice for more than five years

I'm still a medical student, so I'm certainly not an authority, but I would venture to guess that a rotation at an institution in the US would be much, much better (an possibly required based off what @mistafab posted). Reason being that those institutions are still governed by the laws and regulations of the country they are in and not necessarily the best representation of US medicine despite their respective affiliations.

Someone can absolutely correct me if I'm wrong, but I would guess those rotations would be at best neutral because unless the faculty at those locations are considered faculty at the affiliated US hospitals and could provide a letter of rec, they're still IMG attendings.

Thank you to everyone who took their time to reply!
I guess the general consensus is that it most likely contributes neutrally but that it could help in terms of LORs, interview material, CV, etc.
Reason being that those institutions are still governed by the laws and regulations of the country they are in and not necessarily the best representation of US medicine despite their respective affiliations.
I felt like this was a very good point raised by @themoonman2 too.

Then alas, I must continue to scavenge for some USCE opportunities...
Wish me luck!