Does a PharmD Fulfill a Bachelor's Reqirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mock94

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

It seems like every single Osteopathic school has an explicit requirement of a bachelor's degree before matriculation. This contrasts many MD schools having a requirement of 90 credit hours for matriculation.

I am a PharmD student (no bachelor's) and will be applying in a couple of years to medical schools. I am wondering if my PharmD degree would substitute for a Bachelor's in the eyes of Osteopathic schools.

Thanks for your time

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

It seems like every single Osteopathic school has an explicit requirement of a bachelor's degree before matriculation. This contrasts many MD schools having a requirement of 90 credit hours for matriculation.

I am a PharmD student (no bachelor's) and will be applying in a couple of years to medical schools. I am wondering if my PharmD degree would substitute for a Bachelor's in the eyes of Osteopathic schools.

Thanks for your time

Hey, I'm in the same situation as you.. currently only holding a PharmD degree without a bachelor's. I've e-mailed a bunch of schools to see whether I'd meet the requirements - only a few schools gave me a positive answer so far.

Hello, I'm in the same situation as the both of you. I have been looking into post-bacc programs and they will only take students with BS/BA degrees. A pharmD doesn't qualify, unfortunately.

@ PositiveThoughts - could we collaborate and share a list of schools that we have both contacted to save time/effort?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, my options will be much narrower than your options as I'm also a Canadian applicant. I'll msg back once I get my main computer back. How's your journey going so far?

I'm in the same situation and I've called a couple schools so far and PCOM-GA, ATSU-kirksville, Chicago, Campbell, and Burrell all said it wouldn't be a problem.
WesternU, PCOM-Pa, and Touro-Ca all said it would not be accepted and that a bachelor's would be required

Schools that don't take PharmD:
1. Touro (DO, NYC, Harlem)
2. NYU (Med)
3. LECOM (post-bacc)
4. Goucher (post-bacc)
5. Hunter (post-bacc)
6. Bryn Mawr (post-bacc)

Haven't heard back from:
1. NYIT (DO)
2. PCOM (DO)

One of the schools explained a PharmD is considered a technical degree.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also a pharmacist whose planning to apply in 2017 although I do have a B.S. from undergrad. Lets get a support group going!

They said a PharmD is a technical degree? Ouch..I have a friend in pharmacy school and she said she will graduate with a Doctorate. I will google whether that is the case of not, but it's interesting.

That's pretty damn depressing- It's certainly harder to get a degree in pharmacy than a degree in sociology or English...

Reactions: 1 users
According to my "research" (lol) a PharmD is a PROFESSIONAL doctorate degree - aside from the other, academic degree.

I concur, I believe a PharmD is a professional doctorate degree. I emailed back inquiring why a degree in English or Art History would be acceptable but a PharmD wouldn't be, even though many courses would include (and exceed) reqs for admissions. The response was baffling (their program requires it) and I should search for other schools that would consider accepting it.

Can we please form a support group?!?!! I'm in the same boat

or let's make this thread the support group

Last edited:
Question for those that have applied before just with PharmD

I understand that CCOMAS consider PharmD as graduate level courses - so then does anyone know how exactly the GPA calculated ?

I've done 2.5 years of undergrad and went into 4 years of PharmD. I emailed CCOMAS about it and they told me that only those 2.5 years will be calculated as uGPA and pharmD courses will be part of overall GPA. How would med schools view these GPA? Would uGPA still be considered more important (since this is the only comparable measure vs other applicants?

I ask this because my uGPA is much..higher than my PharmD degree. I really hope uGPA is still the most important factor.