Does a PhD help getting an IM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hzhassan

Reaction score
I am a US-IMG with average scores and an attempt on CS who applied for the internal medicine this match and still have no invitations. As I am preparing for the worst, I am looking into any options that would increase my chances of getting into an internal medicine residency including applying for family medicine and pathology next year as well as going through a Ph.D. (at the current university I work as a research assistant).

Members don't see this ad.

Doing a PhD after you've completed your medical training will not help you get a spot. It will create a long gap in clinical work. Univ programs will not consider you because of being an IMG with avg scores, a failed CS, and a long gap. The PhD won't help at all at community programs.

Reactions: 1 users
A PhD only helps when it’s done prior to starting medical school (ie no gaps in medical education) or in one of the approved MD/PhD or MSTP formats as it is the ultimate indicator that one cares more about contributing to medical research than contributing to their financial success which is exceedingly rare these days. When there it can make the difference between mid tier to top tier IM programs. I think that’s more than fair considering the amount of time one has to invest to earn that PhD. Highly doubt anyone’s doing it simply thinking that this is going to be their ticket to a top tier residency as time would better be spent taking a gap year for research to improve the tier of your medical school (and hence residency) or taking a research year in medical school to establish yourself as well-published in their field.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
15 or 20 years ago, an IMG who came to the US and got a PhD could count on getting a decent residency placement.

Since clinical medicine (which is what residency/fellowship is) prioritizes moving the meat these days, that is no longer the case.

Feel free to get a PhD in the US if you so choose, but do it knowing that it is going to help you get a job as a post-doc, not as a stepping stone to a residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not do a PhD as a way to bolster your application. It's a lot of work and you'll be unhappy of if you are doing it to get into residency rather than love of research.

You'd be better off researching directly for a clinician who has sway over admissions or doing a masters, or even just going somewhere really uncompetitive.

Last edited: