does a research PI i took a research course under count as a "science faculty letter of rec"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kindred4545

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Creighton requires letters from two science faculty and one non-science faculty. I want to submit a letter from my PI who is an associate professor of the medical school of my university and whom I also took a research course under "Bio XXX". Would this letter count as science faculty letter of rec?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe they count it if you got a letter grade from the course, and it wasn't pass/fail.

EDIT: Call and ask though. They were really nice when I had to ask about non-science letter.

I asked a couple schools and they said no to this because most of the time the class is pass/fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Creighton requires letters from two science faculty and one non-science faculty. I want to submit a letter from my PI who is an associate professor of the medical school of my university and whom I also took a research course under "Bio XXX". Would this letter count as science faculty letter of rec?
All this would tell me is that you're good lab worker. Med schools aren't looking for grad students.

Whether it fulfills the technical requirement or not, will it fill the expectation of an adcom who may be looking for information about you in a traditional classroom setting?

All this would tell me is that you're good lab worker. Med schools aren't looking for grad students.

i asked the 7 schools i was unsure of and 6 of them said it was fine. im using it as a character letter of recommendation as working in a lab as a team demonstrates personal traits such as team work ability. i already have 2 letters, my MCAT, and my transcript to show my academic traits.