does a research PI i took a research course under count as a "science faculty letter of rec"?

Jul 29, 2017
Creighton requires letters from two science faculty and one non-science faculty. I want to submit a letter from my PI who is an associate professor of the medical school of my university and whom I also took a research course under "Bio XXX". Would this letter count as science faculty letter of rec?

joschar

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma
Status
Medical Student
I believe they count it if you got a letter grade from the course, and it wasn't pass/fail.

EDIT: Call and ask though. They were really nice when I had to ask about non-science letter.

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I asked a couple schools and they said no to this because most of the time the class is pass/fail.

About the Ads

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
i got a letter grade for the class.
Whether it fulfills the technical requirement or not, will it fill the expectation of an adcom who may be looking for information about you in a traditional classroom setting?

Reactions: Goro

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Creighton requires letters from two science faculty and one non-science faculty. I want to submit a letter from my PI who is an associate professor of the medical school of my university and whom I also took a research course under "Bio XXX". Would this letter count as science faculty letter of rec?
All this would tell me is that you're good lab worker. Med schools aren't looking for grad students.

OP
K
Jul 29, 2017
Whether it fulfills the technical requirement or not, will it fill the expectation of an adcom who may be looking for information about you in a traditional classroom setting?
All this would tell me is that you're good lab worker. Med schools aren't looking for grad students.
i asked the 7 schools i was unsure of and 6 of them said it was fine. im using it as a character letter of recommendation as working in a lab as a team demonstrates personal traits such as team work ability. i already have 2 letters, my MCAT, and my transcript to show my academic traits.

About the Ads