Does Accredited Vocational School like Medical Assisting Count Towards GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PleaseHelpMeDoc

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently doing a medical assistant program at my local community college. The program is fully accredited and counts credit hours in the transcripts. I just generally wanted to know if this will be considered in my overall GPA for medical school either MD or DO. Will AMCAS or AACOM accept it? Will other accredited vocational programs such as EMT also count?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the opposite... According to my transcript, they do not count for college credit, since they are not typical college courses. No college credit = does not affect GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have units and a grade for these courses on your transcript?
I'm not sure what you mean by units. There are grades (A, B, C, etc.), some are S for satisfactory. They are non-credit courses, and I am sure they do not affect my GPA for the school itself, idk about aacomas or aamc

I'm not sure what you mean by units. There are grades (A, B, C, etc.), some are S for satisfactory. They are non-credit courses, and I am sure they do not affect my GPA for the school itself, idk about aacomas or aamc

Units aka credit hours. So, they are 0 credit hours? You will put that on AMCAS and it won't effect your gpa.