Does albumin affect bloodpressure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP2740

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
and how?

Members don't see this ad.

Albumin will increase the oncotic pressure of blood. Because it stays in your vasculature for a while, it should draw extravascular fluid into your circulation, increasing your blood volume.

Increases in the volume of circulating blood increase venous return, and in turn increases cardiac output via the Frank-Starling relationship, increasing blood pressure (assuming stable systemic vascular resistance: mean arterial pressure is proportional to cardiac output * SVR).

This is probably beyond the scope of MCAT.

i would think so, based on the same idea that albumin establishes oncotic pressure. if you have more protein in your blood (by appreciable amounts) then you'll likely draw fluids from the tissues and thus increase your BP.

this is most likely beyond the scope of the MCAT and i have no idea what threshold would need to be reached to start drawing more fluid into the capillaries. if this were to happen, i would guess that it would occur at the end of a capillary bed where pressure is low

educated guess, at best

Albumin will increase the oncotic pressure of blood. Because it stays in your vasculature for a while, it should draw extravascular fluid into your circulation, increasing your blood volume.

Increases in the volume of circulating blood increase venous return, and in turn increases cardiac output via the Frank-Starling relationship, increasing blood pressure (assuming stable systemic vascular resistance: mean arterial pressure is proportional to cardiac output * SVR).

This is probably beyond the scope of MCAT.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I WANT TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!
ahhhhh
:(